Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev. Franklin Graham Decision America Tour

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Good grief, I don't hate how you decide things is somehow bad? Celeste, you and I don't see eye-to-eye on everything we've never had to be respectful.

If those are the new rules, we can scrap that vacation with Philly at her waterfront house.

Sad, because someone gave me a bottle of good tequila.
    Did you forget which forum you're in? AFAIK, it's the only one that requires discussions be respectful. I'm happy to join you in putting facebook users down in other areas, and the backhanded put-downs of anyone you consider "left" are such standard fare there, I don't even notice them any more. But you put this thread in Religion, and here I am, not commenting because I have nothing respectful to say about Franklin Graham, and you take two swipes in one post.

It's not my forum. If the rest of you all are ok with this, I'll just wander on over to where I can at least respond in kind.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Was he talking mainly about political engagement? Or "engagement" in general, as in volunteering, being a part of organizations, etc.?
    No, engaging politically in the sense of running for office in very local races or supporting those who do.
    Running for dog-catcher. Going to town council meetings. Paying attention to smaller, very local areas where one voice makes a bit of a difference.

His message wasn't that Christians turn local votes into Christian votes; it was that Christians need to get engaged in local politics because everyone else is pushing their views there.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:21 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, engaging politically in the sense of running for office in very local races or supporting those who do.
    Running for dog-catcher. Going to town council meetings. Paying attention to smaller, very local areas where one voice makes a bit of a difference.

His message wasn't that Christians turn local votes into Christian votes; it was that Christians need to get engaged in local politics because everyone else is pushing their views there.
    Oh, I see. Must say I agree, to a given individual's ability and interest. Although it takes initiative and willingness to be in public. It is a peeve I believe that people are too busy looking at the phones and therefore not paying attention to what goes on around them. This seems to be what the younger generations are being taught.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief, I don't hate how you decide things is somehow bad? Celeste, you and I don't see eye-to-eye on everything we've never had to be respectful.

If those are the new rules, we can scrap that vacation with Philly at her waterfront house.

Sad, because someone gave me a bottle of good tequila.
    Wait...what? Party's at Philly's lake house?
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, to you, it would.

That's the trouble with not going to sources and relying on playing 'Telephone' through FB or whatever. I enjoy a juicy conspiracy or whatever but randomly reading FB or Twitter when you get a minute to get a sense of something isn't all that great unless it's Kim Kardashian's latest naked pic.

I doubt you've read all of his current information and coupling that up with whatever Catholic sources you read is not likely to paint an accurate picture. He is much more political than his father but also aiming his ideas at the local level. I'm guessing you think it's okay for other groups to do the same. They aren't evil or hypocrites or whatever. That's all this is.

You can do dislike him because I'm not a left-person so I don't hate how you decide things. I just don't think your take on this is accurate in the big picture sense today.

But carry on.
    I don't get my information about Graham from Catholic sources. I get them from Graham. Here is his latest on FB (his words, not a Catholic source's).

https://www.facebook.com/FranklinGra...15548295168017

We’re deep into March Madness—in more ways than one. There are some great basketball teams competing to climb their way up the ladder to the championship. There’s also a lot of madness going on in politics. Just when you think you’ve seen it all, something new pops up. The Republicans are trying desperately to figure out how they can stop Donald J. Trump from getting the Republican nomination. Will there be a brokered convention? A contested convention? What are your thoughts? My prayer is that at the end of the day, God will give us His choice for President of the United States.
    Here's another one.

Yesterday former governor and 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney stepped in and gave a scathing attack against the current Republican front-runner. I’m 63 years old and I’ve never seen anything like this. This Republican presidential campaign has not only sunk to new lows, but the Republican establishment seems to be desperate to pick their own candidate. There are some good candidates running, but I’m not going to endorse any of them. I’m fed up with both the Republican and the Democratic parties. Both are corrupt—clearly broken—and need to be overhauled. They need radical change. What do you think?
    Ultimately, the only way this nation can be turned around is for us to acknowledge God and call on His Name. God tells us in His Word, “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14).
    He claims he doesn't support any of them, but then defends Trump as being unfairly attack when all that man has done is unfairly attack.

Another.....

The Pope has suggested that Donald J. Trump is not Christian because he wants to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico. He said, “A person who thinks only about building walls wherever they may be and not building bridges is not Christian.” I agree that as Christians we should try to build bridges with everyone that we possibly can, but that doesn’t mean that we should compromise our national security. Donald Trump isn’t the only one who wants to build a wall—other Republican candidates Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Dr. Ben Carson, and John Kasich as well as millions of Americans, also want to build a wall—in order to protect America from enemies who want to use the U.S./Mexican border as a way to enter our country and do us harm. Are they not Christian either? My advice to the Pontiff—reach out and build a bridge to Donald Trump. Who knows where he may be this time next year!
    I took that last sentence to mean "Watch your mouth. He'll be president next year."

The thing is Graham knows better or should know better. Trump doesn't ask God for forgiveness. Until he does, he isn't a Christian by default. It doesn't matter what his politics are, and Graham knows better (or he should).

Maybe you should get a FB account just to see what's on there. I'm not sure if you realize how much preachers, politicians, and so forth are saying from their pages. Twitter is also good. Trump's been busted quite a bit for stuff he's said there.
    Like a good neighbor, stay over there.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Did you forget which forum you're in? AFAIK, it's the only one that requires discussions be respectful. I'm happy to join you in putting facebook users down in other areas, and the backhanded put-downs of anyone you consider "left" are such standard fare there, I don't even notice them any more. But you put this thread in Religion, and here I am, not commenting because I have nothing respectful to say about Franklin Graham, and you take two swipes in one post.

It's not my forum. If the rest of you all are ok with this, I'll just wander on over to where I can at least respond in kind.
    Okay, I'm not admin, but I keep thinking you're more than welcome to have your say. I only take this "Believers" and "Non-believers" stuff to mean "Don't attack people for being believers or non-believers" but I could be wrong. I've seen disrespectful atheists and you haven't been one of them from what I can tell.
    Like a good neighbor, stay over there.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 24th, 2020 @ 1:28 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I didn't realize that. If true, it's disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Maybe it's just my way of looking at him when I read his facebook feed. He just really comes off a certain way to me.
    Lanie's right. Franklin Graham is undeniably in the tank for Trump.

And yes, it is indeed quite disappointing.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just got back from the Denver stop. Very inspiring!

I was surprised at how many people there were on a weekday. It was completely packed. The message was spot on: Christians have to engage with politics and make more decisions with an eye to biblical values instead of secular values.

It was also not too long!

If it comes to your state, you should attend.

Tour Dates
    It didn't work. Evangelicals chose hedonism, greed, and idolatry. The exact opposite of biblical values.

Unfortunate.
    Last edited by Billy Jingo; Thursday, December 1st, 2016 at 7:53 AM.
    "The universe we live in increasingly resembles some kind of dark satire about the decline of the United States."

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:41 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    It didn't work. Evangelicals chose hedonism, greed, and idolatry. The exact opposite of biblical values.

Unfortunate.
    Bwhahahahaha. Wow. They chose the lessor of two evils.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since no presidential candidates have ever lived strictly by 'Biblical values', then no Christian could have ever voted for any of them in good conscience.

Some Christians never vote in any elections for that very reason.

"Evangelicals" is a pretty meaningless term as it used by pollsters and in the media. Quite a few people who would choose the "evangelical" label in a survey would not also choose the core belief elements that actually make up the evangelical identity. It's a direct descendant from a well described and well understood doctrinal movement. Some evangelicals in those churches do not vote.

But most contemporary "evangelicals", like most Christians, do vote and they are faced with the same problems any voter faces: how to vote in a way that balances ideological concerns with some practical concerns.

In this case, 80% of evangelical voters thought that Supreme Court picks and a potential to protect religious freedom was more important than the other candidate's promises.

If it's possible to be Christian and to vote (some don't think it's possible), then Christian voters will necessarily be voting for candidates that do not live by Biblical values.

Take your pick.

11. Likes 80zephyr, Michele liked this post