Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev. Franklin Graham Decision America Tour

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Makes sense. Why would he alienate people from his message of Salvation (assuming that since haven't heard him speak) - and potentially from the Samaritan's purse foundation- by affiliating with any group politically.
    Salvation was a central message and he offered an opportunity to those who weren't saved to get there (no altar calls, though ) but his big message was engagement at the local and personal level.

Not reaching out to secular life by imitating it but by working through the system as committed Christians.

You don't have to wave a flag saying, "I'm X kind of Christian running for this job". You just have to run for the job.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It isn't. Graham has publicly disassociated himself from the Republican Party (he is no longer a member) and says so at his rallies. He's clear about noting how the both parties have failed the country and that people who put their hope in Republicans are fooling themselves.

His message is to become politically involved but detached from current political aims - such as those found in either party.

For a butt-kisser, he really fell down on the job at the rally I attended. In fact, none of his remarks could be seen as favorable to Trump or any Republican candidate. They all fall far short of the standard he is discussing.

But of course I was actually there and didn't get all my ideas from Facebook.
    I don't read or follow him a lot but we participate in Operation Christmas Child through Samaritans Purse. I really love it and have enjoyed listening to him speak about it and the children it serves.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It isn't. Graham has publicly disassociated himself from the Republican Party (he is no longer a member) and says so at his rallies. He's clear about noting how the both parties have failed the country and that people who put their hope in Republicans are fooling themselves.

His message is to become politically involved but detached from current political aims - such as those found in either party.

For a butt-kisser, he really fell down on the job at the rally I attended. In fact, none of his remarks could be seen as favorable to Trump or any Republican candidate. They all fall far short of the standard he is discussing.

But of course I was actually there and didn't get all my ideas from Facebook.
    Thing is I'm subscribed to his FB feed (but I don't know why). He's asking the pope to "build a bridge" to Trump. The pope's spokes people have sense then said they're not necessarily attacking Trump and that they're keeping an open mind (not knowing all the info). Graham also had Ben Carson on his page probably a day or two after the Chicago cancelled rally. He's posted stuff about things "being great again." To me, that sounds like Trump's spokesman.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Thing is I'm subscribed to his FB feed (but I don't know why). He's asking the pope to "build a bridge" to Trump. The pope's spokes people have sense then said they're not necessarily attacking Trump and that they're keeping an open mind (not knowing all the info). Graham also had Ben Carson on his page probably a day or two after the Chicago cancelled rally. He's posted stuff about things "being great again." To me, that sounds like Trump's spokesman.
    Well, to you, it would.

That's the trouble with not going to sources and relying on playing 'Telephone' through FB or whatever. I enjoy a juicy conspiracy or whatever but randomly reading FB or Twitter when you get a minute to get a sense of something isn't all that great unless it's Kim Kardashian's latest naked pic.

I doubt you've read all of his current information and coupling that up with whatever Catholic sources you read is not likely to paint an accurate picture. He is much more political than his father but also aiming his ideas at the local level. I'm guessing you think it's okay for other groups to do the same. They aren't evil or hypocrites or whatever. That's all this is.

You can do dislike him because I'm not a left-person so I don't hate how you decide things. I just don't think your take on this is accurate in the big picture sense today.

But carry on.

5. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not chiming in here on topic because of where this is posted, but I think if y'all want to talk politics, this isn't the place.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's okay. I'm kind of with you, Celeste but as long as everyone's respectful, I think it's allowed. It wouldn't be the first thread in here that's had politics sprinkled in.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    It's okay. I'm kind of with you, Celeste but as long as everyone's respectful, I think it's allowed. It wouldn't be the first thread in here that's had politics sprinkled in.
    I agree with your sentiment, but I don't find this respectful:

I'm not a left-person so I don't hate how you decide things.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I agree with your sentiment, but I don't find this respectful:
    Good grief, I don't hate how you decide things is somehow bad? Celeste, you and I don't see eye-to-eye on everything we've never had to be respectful.

If those are the new rules, we can scrap that vacation with Philly at her waterfront house.

Sad, because someone gave me a bottle of good tequila.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I'm not chiming in here on topic because of where this is posted, but I think if y'all want to talk politics, this isn't the place.
    In some circles, butting into other people's conversations with nastiness isn't considered respectful.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Salvation was a central message and he offered an opportunity to those who weren't saved to get there (no altar calls, though ) but his big message was engagement at the local and personal level.

Not reaching out to secular life by imitating it but by working through the system as committed Christians.

You don't have to wave a flag saying, "I'm X kind of Christian running for this job". You just have to run for the job.
    Was he talking mainly about political engagement? Or "engagement" in general, as in volunteering, being a part of organizations, etc.?