Thread: Need Advice on Operating Systems

Last Online
    Monday, April 18th, 2016 @ 2:41 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Advice on Operating Systems

Windows 10 is not for me. So, what I want to know are the pluses and minuses of the different OS options I can get in a rebuilt PC from the Dell store in Jacksonville. (What I want to know mostly is how user friendly are the different flavors of Unix and Apple vs. the various kinds of software that can be but usually aren't used in PCs such as Oracle and Blackberry.) Dell wants to move this stuff so I can get a great deal but I want the right deal for me. Thanks to everyone who replies.

Last Online
    Today @ 7:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends over what you are using it for and why Windows 10 doesn't work for you.

I have used a variety of Linux versions, and unless you need Windows software for a particular reason, they are easy to work with and quite customizable.
    I don't work with Apple much, but they are actually a shell on top of a Linux base.
    I don't recommend ChromeOS for anything but recreational web surfing and light use of Google software.

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.
    All mistakes are caused by the phone.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 @ 10:00 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you can (easily) put OSX on a PC, so that should be left out completely. Unless you fancy paying $5,000 for a $500 laptop or something direct from Apple.

I'd like to know why Windows 10 isn't for you. It is far from perfect but it's been pretty reliable for me.

My father is a big Linux tinkerer and is always trying out new distros. The last one he was using before he blitzed his drive (for the fiftieth time this year) was Korora. I believe he said it was a Fedora derivative.

Edit: One of the nice things about most modern Linux distros is you can pick which destop you want to use (like MATE or Cinnamon or whatever) and boot from a USB stick to "test drive" it without erasing your existing OS.
    You can't spell "hatred" without "red hat".

Last Online
    Today @ 8:49 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Linux if you plan to do some serious modifications and if you enjoy tinkering and trying out new things. Apple if you just want everything happen more or less automatically and effortlessly but like Tom says, you'll be going an Apple store for that.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think you can (easily) put OSX on a PC, so that should be left out completely. Unless you fancy paying $5,000 for a $500 laptop or something direct from Apple.

I'd like to know why Windows 10 isn't for you. It is far from perfect but it's been pretty reliable for me.

My father is a big Linux tinkerer and is always trying out new distros. The last one he was using before he blitzed his drive (for the fiftieth time this year) was Korora. I believe he said it was a Fedora derivative.

Edit: One of the nice things about most modern Linux distros is you can pick which destop you want to use (like MATE or Cinnamon or whatever) and boot from a USB stick to "test drive" it without erasing your existing OS.
    Linix and its clones seem to be the winner. My biggest problem with Windows 10 is that it is designed to be the final version, Which leads to the following problems:

This will make it even easier to hack than it already is.

There are computations I do not do on my computer already due to the above problem already.

I tried using open office as a workaround for a while and then I later discovered that there was no longer support for it. Given that Microsoft is primarily a game machine company I suspect support will go down hill rapidly.

Unix/Linux support is likely to continue, it's hacked much less frequently and I want hard wired connections to the internet for the same reason.

The other reasons are a bunch of annoying little quirks I could live with if Microsoft servers were in most offices.

Last Online
    Today @ 7:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by william the wierd View Post
    Linix and its clones seem to be the winner. My biggest problem with Windows 10 is that it is designed to be the final version, Which leads to the following problems:

This will make it even easier to hack than it already is.

There are computations I do not do on my computer already due to the above problem already.

I tried using open office as a workaround for a while and then I later discovered that there was no longer support for it. Given that Microsoft is primarily a game machine company I suspect support will go down hill rapidly.

Unix/Linux support is likely to continue, it's hacked much less frequently and I want hard wired connections to the internet for the same reason.

The other reasons are a bunch of annoying little quirks I could live with if Microsoft servers were in most offices.
    Libreoffice replaced openoffice and it's supported on all platforms.

Here's an article about secure distros

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/sof...-buffs-1292902

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.
    All mistakes are caused by the phone.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Last Online
    Today @ 8:28 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Linux is probably your best bet if you don't want Windows. I run Ubuntu 14 on one of my laptops.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody and liked your posts. (one of the things that annoys me about 10 is it doesn't accept clicks for posts.)