Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Refrigerator Would You Buy?

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You don't actually have to use the filter in the water line. All fridges that I've seen come with a filter plug that you can install and it'll just pass water straight through. That won't stop the 'change filter' alarm from going off on most of them, but it's an option instead of paying for those stupid expensive filters.

My parents have a whole home filtration system so the fridge one is unnecessary.
    Unless for some reason your tap water tastes nasty, why would you filter it at all? Unless it's well water, of course.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Unless for some reason your tap water tastes nasty, why would you filter it at all? Unless it's well water, of course.
    Our well water is great.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Our well water is great.
    No doubt. Probably Ginger's would, too, if she has a well. Ever try any down where I come from? Swamp water. And then there are the pesticides and commercial fertilizers that leak into the water table.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt. Probably Ginger's would, too, if she has a well. Ever try any down where I come from? Swamp water. And then there are the pesticides and commercial fertilizers that leak into the water table.
    Up here it's luck of the draw. I have neighbors with iron issues and our well water in Dillingham wad all but undrinkable and every white shirt was tan after washing. Our well is at 130 feet, great drinking water, and hasn't run dry even though we irrigate a lot of landscaping.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do have a well but we use it for irrigation.

Don't be too quick to diss water from any region. A lot of the taste angle is down to mineral content which varies all over, even within counties. It took me weeks to get used to San Francisco water which tasted awful to me when I moved there.

Contamination is something else but people are usually quick to think of this when well water tastes off even though it often tests out as perfectly drinkable. Most of your cloudy/smelly water issues are caused by pump and pipe issues - not contamination of the well. If the well water has colors, that's mostly a mineral issue which might turn your shirt orange but usually has no effect on your health.

I did way too many well water analyses at one point in time. Ya gotta pay them dues.

6. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I do have a well but we use it for irrigation.

Don't be too quick to diss water from any region. A lot of the taste angle is down to mineral content which varies all over, even within counties. It took me weeks to get used to San Francisco water which tasted awful to me when I moved there.

Contamination is something else but people are usually quick to think of this when well water tastes off even though it often tests out as perfectly drinkable. Most of your cloudy/smelly water issues are caused by pump and pipe issues - not contamination of the well. If the well water has colors, that's mostly a mineral issue which might turn your shirt orange but usually has no effect on your health.

I did way too many well water analyses at one point in time. Ya gotta pay them dues.
    Most of the natural water on the Shore has sulfur in it. The degree of stink is variable, but the presence of stink is a given. The water table is quite close to the surface, and my guess would be that the crap the crop dusters sprayed on the ground when I was a kid is still seeping down into the water table, since they laid it on heavy. I'm convinced that Nova's going to live to be 120, because anybody who survived spending his childhood running behind the mosquito control spray truck, breathing DDT, is indestructible.

8. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the natural water on the Shore has sulfur in it. The degree of stink is variable, but the presence of stink is a given. The water table is quite close to the surface, and my guess would be that the crap the crop dusters sprayed on the ground when I was a kid is still seeping down into the water table, since they laid it on heavy. I'm convinced that Nova's going to live to be 120, because anybody who survived spending his childhood running behind the mosquito control spray truck, breathing DDT, is indestructible.
    Sulfur smells but if you let off-gas or boil it, it's fine. You're problem there is your pipes, pump, or water heater - not well contamination. You would be surprised at just how much organic and inorganic pesticides breakdown within a few weeks. The stories about many of those compounds come from human fat analysis. Fat stores all kinds of junk. You don't have to be exposed to anything over a long period of time to trap some compounds in human fat. It can be brief - a one-off thing.

Whatever DDT does to heron eggs, it doesn't do any of that to people. Nova will be fine.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Sulfur smells but if you let off-gas or boil it, it's fine. You're problem there is your pipes, pump, or water heater - not well contamination. You would be surprised at just how much organic and inorganic pesticides breakdown within a few weeks. The stories about many of those compounds come from human fat analysis. Fat stores all kinds of junk. You don't have to be exposed to anything over a long period of time to trap some compounds in human fat. It can be brief - a one-off thing.

Whatever DDT does to heron eggs, it doesn't do any of that to people. Nova will be fine.
    Of course he will. Nova is a living example of "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is awful at my house if I'm not there for a few weeks to run the hot water heater. Just awful! I try to get my neighbor to remember to run it for me, because the whole house stinks just from taking one shower when I get there. If I'm there every weekend, it's fine, though.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    It is awful at my house if I'm not there for a few weeks to run the hot water heater. Just awful! I try to get my neighbor to remember to run it for me, because the whole house stinks just from taking one shower when I get there. If I'm there every weekend, it's fine, though.
    Yeah, nobody warns you about that when you're house shopping in "God's Country." They see you city people coming and air out the house. Down by Mardela Springs, it stinks up the whole town.