Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump defends judge attack: He's 'of Mexican heritage, I'm building a wall'

Last Online
    Friday, March 6th, 2020 @ 8:26 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    He had to say he was a Mexican, as that was the crux of his argument.

Mark
    Ah, so that was the crux. As opposed to "the judge's personal ties to Mexican immigrants".

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    You know, if Trump had said, "The judge is a white guy who is an activist for Mexican immigrants and therefore biased" that would be right in line with your explanation. But what Trump actually said is "He's a Mexican."
    Correction: What he actually said was "this judge is of Mexican heritage".

I know you guys are sticklers for accuracy.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a difference between being a Christian and a zealot. Each instance should be looked at separately. Why are you being so stupid about this? As a lawyer, I know that you prefer one judge over another when cases are tried, yet all are supposed to be impartial.

Mark
    Many lawyers do divide judges up, for instance, as "defense-oriented" and "plaintiff-oriented." You know nothing at all about ME as a lawyer.

The two courts before which I practice most are composed almost exclusively of judges who used to be either plaintiff or defense lawyers. It's the nature of our area of law that a former general civil or criminal practice lawyer would lack the specialized knowledge to decide the type of case we handle. Among the judges currently on the bench, two of my favorites are former defense attorneys whom many of my colleagues consider "defense-oriented." My other 4 favorites are 3 former plaintiff lawyers and one former defense lawyer, all of whom many of my colleagues consider "plaintiff-oriented" (and consider the "plaintiff-oriented" former defense attorney to be a "traitor"). The reason they are my favorites is that ALL of them are strong legal scholars, who decide cases on the facts and law, will listen to novel arguments, and rule impartially. I suspect many of my colleagues at the bar would be stunned if they actually did a survey of these judges' decisions, because I believe they would find that those decisions are about evenly divided between plaintiff and defense wins.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give the "bigotry" shit a rest Billy. In today's world, simply disagreeing with a minority will get you labeled a sexist, racist, etc.

I reject that as pure bullshit.

Mark
    Bullshit.

Mark
    Your opinion is noted...for exactly what it's worth. The law in every state agrees with me.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    No, overt bigotry or ethnic prejudice is not better than racism and in many cases I ignore the distinction as there functionally may be no difference.

The reason I went down this path is because I know that you are intelligent enough to know the difference between the terms yet you play the race card anyway.
    The same way as the media made Zimmerman a white Hispanic when he shot Skittles but now that Trump has made disparaging comments about Judge Curiel, Mexicans and whites are somehow different races, so it is racist.

Even though I make mistakes myself, I expect that most of the people on this board are well enough versed in the English language to understand the difference between racism, bigotry, ethnic prejudice and racial, ethnic or sexual discrimination.
    Declaring what Trump said regarding Judge Curiel as racism is being intellectually dishonest.
    You know it and so do the majority, if not all, of this board.

And if you go by Bok's definition (not agreeing, disagreeing or disparaging it), race is an artificial construct anyway, so if there are no races, there can be no racism.
    Dishonest? Lazy, maybe. It's a minor distinction.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dishonest? Lazy, maybe. It's a minor distinction.
    Slavery was racist. Jim Crow was racist. KKK and lynchings were racist. Segregated schools were racist. Fire hoses and dogs against civil rights protesters was racist.

Maybe it's just me, and it could be as I am a white privileged straight male that still opens doors for men or women alike if I happen to get there first or if there arms are full, but I would hardly define Trump's comments, as churlish and boorish as they are, on the same level as this:

or this:

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is speculation on my part, but I think Trump is not actually racist. Or ethnicist, either (because that's completely different). I think if an Hispanic person applied for a job talking real estate students out of their money, the Donald (if he were involved at all) would evaluate that candidate on their merits, full stop.

But he is making an appeal to racists. And ethnicists, too. The subtext is "those people are coming here to take away your shit, and I am the one standing up to them."

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slavery was racist. Jim Crow was racist. KKK and lynchings were racist. Segregated schools were racist. Fire hoses and dogs against civil rights protesters was racist.

Maybe it's just me, and it could be as I am a white privileged straight male that still opens doors for men or women alike if I happen to get there first or if there arms are full, but I would hardly define Trump's comments, as churlish and boorish as they are, on the same level as this:

or this:

Oh, for fuck's sake. Nothing short of lynching can be termed racist?

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, for fuck's sake. Nothing short of lynching can be termed racist?
    I listed 7, 6 of which were short of lynching.
    Guess I could have left the pics off. Of course there were 2 of them, one of which was not about lynching. You must have missed that one.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I listed 7, 6 of which were short of lynching.
    Guess I could have left the pics off. Of course there were 2 of them, one of which was not about lynching. You must have missed that one.
    You know what I mean. You're claiming I was dishonest because you infer some minimum level of severity to qualify as "racist". All he did was question a judge's ability to do his job.