Thread: New York’s $8 billion airport still won’t get you to L.A.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:54 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

New York’s $8 billion airport still won’t get you to L.A.

Don't think Myself has ever flown in or out of La Guardia.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...b4R7&ocid=iehp
    As with any major revamp of a big airport, the cost of dragging LaGuardia International into the modern era is measured in billions of dollars. It started at $3.6 billion, but that was just for a three-story terminal to replace a 1964-era shell that leaks water, squeezes travelers, and inspired U.S. Vice President Joe Biden to dub the runt of New York’s three main airports a “third world” facility.

The refit of the central terminal, also called Terminal B, rose to $4 billion with the later addition of a “Great Hall” entry to connect the 35-gate structure with Terminal C. The entire project also seeks to expand onto real estate now allocated to parking, hard up against the traffic-clogged Grand Central Parkway. The planning and design work alone got $1 billion back in 2004.

Major infrastructure projects in New York City rarely come in under budget or without surprises along the way. The total cost of LaGuardia’s rebirth has been dribbling out slowly, with each increase noted in an obscure press release or at a meeting of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey. Commissioners even disagree about what to include in the price, and whether past funds should be included to offset it. And there may indeed be some surprises before it’s done. That doesn’t sit well with public interest watchdogs.

“It’s time now for partners to bring greater transparency to the overhaul and build confidence in the project by posting clear budgets and timelines to the project website,” said Joseph Sitt, chairman of New York infrastructure advocacy group Global Gateway Alliance, in an email.

LaGuardia Gateway Partners, the winning consortium for the project, took over management and operations at Terminal B last month. The partnership consists of Vancouver-based Vantage Airport Group Ltd., Swedish construction firm Skanska AB, and Paris-based Meridiam SAS. Terminal B, which houses eight carriers, including American Airlines Group Inc., Southwest Airlines Co., and United Continental Holdings Inc., was designed to handle 8 million annual passengers. Last year, it hosted 14.3 million. By 2030, it’s expected to handle 17.5 million per year.

All told, the airport’s total projected cost including work at Terminals C and D, redesign of roads, parking structures, and other infrastructure, is likely to run as much as $8 billion
    Continued at link.

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Have you ever actually been to New York?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Continued at link.
    Glad to hear that. It's close to my house.

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.
    All mistakes are caused by the phone.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It amazes me as to how much these things cost. Maybe the government should stop spending money in excess of the results.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Have you ever actually been to New York?
    Yes, why did you ask that question?

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, why did you ask that question?
    Because while I don't have actual stats in front of me, I'd just about be willing to bet that the actual majority of passengers either originating or terminating in New York actually do so via LaGuardia airport. Certainly in the case of domestic traffic that is true, but I'd be willing to bet that this is the case in overall traffic as well.

From anywhere east of the Mississippi River, it's actually hard not to fly into LaGuardia if you're going to/through New York.

7. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because while I don't have actual stats in front of me, I'd just about be willing to bet that the actual majority of passengers either originating or terminating in New York actually do so via LaGuardia airport. Certainly in the case of domestic traffic that is true, but I'd be willing to bet that this is the case in overall traffic as well.

From anywhere east of the Mississippi River, it's actually hard not to fly into LaGuardia if you're going to/through New York.
    Like trying to get here and not go through Seattle.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Have no dispute of statistics about LaGuardia. I've been in and out of Kennedy, for international flights. For everything else, 99% business related, hundreds of times, in and out of Newark. Hated hated hated having to use that long term parking lot. Well ok, having to park in any airport long term parking lot is totally a drag.