Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at a trip to Brazil in 2017

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at a trip to Brazil in 2017

A friend invited us to join him for a remote Amazon fishing trip in November 2017. Have started looking at logistics and we are jazzed that the timing would fit perfectly with another mega road trip we already started planning for that time frame.

We have 5 different groups of friends in Florida we would like to catch up with and the flights from Miami to Manaus, Brazil are only 5 hours and quite affordable.

After arrival in Manaus and an overnight the journey continues with flying in by float plane to the Rio Travessao River and the remote camp. Day trips in small skiffs on the fast moving river have two anglers per skiff with a local Indian non-english speaking guide fishing for a vast variety of fish including Peacock Bass all the way up to monster 250 pound catfish.

Should be epic!! Definitely jazzed. I love having something like this trip planned so far in advance that I can spend time researching. My friend has fished there every year for the last 6 and has it dialed in.
    If it pays, it stays

2. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    A trip on the chain better be on the agenda.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    A trip on the chain better be on the agenda.
    You know it. Looking forward to meeting Mel and the brood.
    If it pays, it stays

5. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

"The Rio Travessao fishery is in a high-gradient river system. With its fast water, significant rapids, deep pools and rocky bed, the Travessao can present a daunting challenge to novice boatmen. Our indigenous guides, however, are amazingly skilled at navigating in this spectacular mountain river system and our boats are specially built for these waters. Using the river's myriad braids and hidden channels to bypass the difficult waters, our guides ensure that anglers can safely and easily access every nook and cranny of this exotic fishery."
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Adam, Know anything about Manaus, Brazil? Might spend an extra day there exploring. I've been told three things so far as a must see and one eating experience.

1) Meeting of the Waters

2) The local fish market. It's supposed to be endless.

3) The town square and the Church of Sao Sebastiao e Sao Francisco de Assis

4) Eat at one of the many traditional churrasco in rodizio restaurants
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best thing about Manaus is that it's not Rio or São Paulo. It's relatively safe (by Brazilian standards, which admittedly is not exactly saying a lot), it's a pretty interesting city, and you're right at the point of access to the Amazon. They are rather fond of their opera and theatre there, should that so interest you.

If possible, see if you can work in a day going to Iguaçu Falls. Many say that the falls are best viewed from the Brazilian side, and since you'll already have your Brazilian visa, that should make the trip much easier. It's a pretty fair piece from Manaus, but there should be reasonably good flight service, probably via Brasília.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brasilia is a city I would like to see simply because of the architecture. It will represent our time in the future.
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

~ Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The best thing about Manaus is that it's not Rio or São Paulo. It's relatively safe (by Brazilian standards, which admittedly is not exactly saying a lot), it's a pretty interesting city, and you're right at the point of access to the Amazon. They are rather fond of their opera and theatre there, should that so interest you.

If possible, see if you can work in a day going to Iguaçu Falls. Many say that the falls are best viewed from the Brazilian side, and since you'll already have your Brazilian visa, that should make the trip much easier. It's a pretty fair piece from Manaus, but there should be reasonably good flight service, probably via Brasília.
    Thanks Adam, although we already planned the road trip and it's easy to assure we are already near Miama when we need to fly to Manaus, I still hate to go a long way to an "exotic" (to us) location and not spend some extra time. Don't get me wrong, fishing the remote Rio Travessao is cause enough to justify the trip but I would love to add on a few "while we are here" diversions.

Cheers
    Jim
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Brasilia is a city I would like to see simply because of the architecture. It will represent our time in the future.
    The old square in Manaus has some major old architecture from the little information I have gathered so far.
    If it pays, it stays