Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Assigns Over 1,000 Spies to Protect the Rio Olympics

Last Online
    Today @ 8:59 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

U.S. Assigns Over 1,000 Spies to Protect the Rio Olympics

Want to see the recruiting ad!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olym...4ILf&ocid=iehp
    The U.S. has assigned more than 1,000 spies to protect the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
    Hundreds of law enforcement agents, analysts and special operations personnel are in Rio, along with over a dozen commandos from the U.S. Special Operations Command, who are in Brazil working with the country’s police and navy, according to an NBC News review of a classified report on U.S. intelligence efforts.

The report documents an operation that includes all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies. The security efforts include working with Brazil to vet more than 10,000 athletes and 35,000 security and police personnel, watch over terrorists’ social media accounts and cooperate in securing computer networks.

“U.S. intelligence agencies are working closely with Brazilian intelligence officials to support their efforts to identify and disrupt potential threats to the Olympic Games in Rio,” Richard Kolko, a spokesman for National Intelligence Director James Clapper, told NBC News.

Brazilian police recently arrested 10 people suspected of planning an ISIS-inspired terrorist attack; however, Brazil’s justice minister dismissed them as “absolutely amateur.” Thus far, there is no sign of a credible plot to attack the Olympic Games, which start with Friday’s opening ceremonies.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama administration swears this is not a minority set aside jobs program.

Seriously, did we have 1000 spies sitting around doing nothing?
    You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

3. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

There are large international gatherings - potential targets - all over the world, all the time. This is nothing particularly unusual. How the media got hold of specifics and why they saw fit to publish them is the real question. Unless, of course, the information was intentionally "leaked" to let terrorist organizations know that they wouldn't be dealing with a bunch of bumbling yahoos, in hopes of heading off any nefarious plans before they're attempted.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

5. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post

There are large international gatherings - potential targets - all over the world, all the time. This is nothing particularly unusual. How the media got hold of specifics and why they saw fit to publish them is the real question. Unless, of course, the information was intentionally "leaked" to let terrorist organizations know that they wouldn't be dealing with a bunch of bumbling yahoos, in hopes of heading off any nefarious plans before they're attempted.
    I suspect that it's the latter, sort of putting on a stern face on the outset. I notice that they're intentionally pointing out not just that there are spies there, but that there are spies from every clandestine agency. That seems an excessive detail that is thrown in there for intimidation factor for those who would do harm.

7. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I suspect that it's the latter, sort of putting on a stern face on the outset. I notice that they're intentionally pointing out not just that there are spies there, but that there are spies from every clandestine agency. That seems an excessive detail that is thrown in there for intimidation factor for those who would do harm.
    Could be. Anyway, a lot of these people aren't "spies" in the sense that most people use the word. They're agents, operatives, who work year-around behind the scenes, for sure, but dealing constantly with exactly the kind of prevention and quiet enforcement they'll be doing in Rio. Most people just don't pay as much attention to the international computer geekmeisters' conference in West Fuckminstershire, UK as they do to the Olympics in an exotic and multiply dangerous South American shithole - uh, city.

IOW, 1000 spies were not sitting around with their thumbs up their asses and nothing to do until the Olympics started.

Way back in the late 1950s or early 60s, some spy was caught in the US and the women my mom played cards with were shocked. They speculated whether WE had spies in foreign countries in peacetime. Mom said, "I certainly hope so!" I agree. And for that matter, to paraphrase the famous saying, I say, "Watch your enemies closely...and your 'friends' even more closely."
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Today @ 4:53 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Obama administration swears this is not a minority set aside jobs program.

Seriously, did we have 1000 spies sitting around doing nothing?
    Yep, or at least nothing as important.

The Olympics is a big deal in the Intel world.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOLOLOL................ how does a hotel reservation get booked for Spy 101.....................

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Could be. Anyway, a lot of these people aren't "spies" in the sense that most people use the word. They're agents, operatives, who work year-around behind the scenes, for sure, but dealing constantly with exactly the kind of prevention and quiet enforcement they'll be doing in Rio. Most people just don't pay as much attention to the international computer geekmeisters' conference in West Fuckminstershire, UK as they do to the Olympics in an exotic and multiply dangerous South American shithole - uh, city.

IOW, 1000 spies were not sitting around with their thumbs up their asses and nothing to do until the Olympics started.

Way back in the late 1950s or early 60s, some spy was caught in the US and the women my mom played cards with were shocked. They speculated whether WE had spies in foreign countries in peacetime. Mom said, "I certainly hope so!" I agree. And for that matter, to paraphrase the famous saying, I say, "Watch your enemies closely...and your 'friends' even more closely."
    I wouldn't bet on that!
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

12. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:53 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    LOLOLOL................ how does a hotel reservation get booked for Spy 101.....................
    Call the reservation line, reserve the room. It's not hard.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Call the reservation line, reserve the room. It's not hard.
    Yeah.................... and use what credit card that can't be traced to a spy agency.....................