Thread: Sourdough Rye

Last Online
    Today @ 1:16 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Sourdough Rye

I'm trying this:

Sourdough Rye using this guy's method. I put it together and now I'm stirring every 15 minutes or so.

I didn't use the anise because I usually don't like it but the orange zest is dreamy.

Anybody have a rye bread recipe they'd like to share (or complain about)?

Last Online
    Today @ 1:16 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I am eating the result. It is very, very good. The flavor is exactly what I was shooting for with a really good balance (it ought to be, it's 50/50). The crust is also very good: crisp and chewy but not tough or weird-looking. The crumb is also very nice with some small holes but still enough intact area to make a sandwich. That's the good.

The bad is that I will need to do some serious ratio math to get this dough to a manageable workability. I followed the directions exactly but I had too much hydration or my rye just isn't as thirsty as his rye. I knew it would be a sticky dough, which is fine, and during the first rise it was a thing of beauty but everything else was a nightmare.

Even with adding flour during the stretching phase, this stuff never came together. I almost had to pour it into clay vessel to proof it. There was no way on earth this stuff was going to come out of a lined proofing basket (as per the video).

Given that, there was also no way to use the blistering hot clay baker method. Luckily, this is not my first rodeo and I knew that I could put it in a cold oven and adjust the temperature and timing which worked. I didn't get a lot of oven spring but the dough was so slack that I knew I wouldn't.

In a way, this bread handled more like pumpernickel but I use a pullman pan for that and I probably should have done that today but I really wanted to stay with the recipe and a pullman pan would have really diverged from that.

I'm going to rewrite the recipe to adjust the hydration and fiddle with my starter to get that hydration level down and then give it another shot. The taste is so great that I can't give up.