Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alt-right

Last Online
    Today @ 1:45 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Alt-right

Since the term "alt-right" is getting lots of play in the news lately, I'm curious what you folks think about it.

Do you think the faction it refers to actually exists? If so, what do you think they're really about?

And I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful."
    -President Donald J. Trump

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been aware of it for about a year now. Reading and listening to the remarks about it over the past few days makes me a little unsure if the people using the term ever heard of it before last week.

For me and a lot of other people, alt right is a very loose group of writers, speakers, web sites, and viewpoints that are only united by the fact that they are in opposition to most current progressive ideas about government, economics, and social issues although often the reasons for the opposition are almost completely opaque or misunderstood by progressives.

At the same time, the alt right is uniformly rejected by establishment conservatives who also fail to understand the ideas motivating it or do understand but can't tolerate the idea of getting their own oxen gored by people "who should" conform to established ideas.

Because the group is mainly defined by what it is not, there's a lot of room for very casual observers to stamp their own label on it and walk away. Right now, you have to be in Camp A or Camp B or in a blend of A and B. Alt right people would ask you why Camps K, Z, and Umlaut are off the table?

At the moment, the Clinton camp is attempting to use "alt right" as an updated sub for last century's "vast right wing conspiracy". I doubt either Clinton or Trump ever even heard of this label 10 days ago and neither one of them could name 5 writers who might be considered somewhat influential to this line of thought.

Here's what it isn't based on my reading:

Nazis, the KKK, segregationists, Anarcho-Capitalists (okay, maybe a little), white supremacists, secessionists, misogynists, monarchists, anarchists, and many more. All of those things require buy-in to ideas and political structures that most alt right people consider to be inherently failed.

It's not a conspiracy or movement or secret club. It's a nascent collection of writers and speakers who are working toward a non-binary collection of views that may or may not achieve cohesion. They haven't yet.

3. Likes Lady Marva liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought we had a few members (loosely defined) here part of that movement. Ginger due to the websites she references and the propaganda she catapults, Frostbit because of his occasional trips into white victimhood, and Newman and Mark because they don't know any better. Nova seems to be on board because ... well ... he's a tremendous bigot. Although the anti-Semitism of the alt-right probably turns him off.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:19 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Frostbit because of his occasional trips into white victimhood,
    No argument from me as long as you admit to your feelings of "white guilt".
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
    May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
    And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
    May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
    May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
    -Seth Peterson

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought we had a few members (loosely defined) here part of that movement. Ginger due to the websites she references and the propaganda she catapults, Frostbit because of his occasional trips into white victimhood, and Newman and Mark because they don't know any better. Nova seems to be on board because ... well ... he's a tremendous bigot. Although the anti-Semitism of the alt-right probably turns him off.
    Damn, missed out again.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:21 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I beg to differ. I am not a bigot, I am a meanie.
    Reporters used to break stories. Now they're just fucking tattletales. - Adam Carolla

8. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:50 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    And that's why you are a tool.

10. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Since the term "alt-right" is getting lots of play in the news lately, I'm curious what you folks think about it.

Do you think the faction it refers to actually exists? If so, what do you think they're really about?
    It exists but it's so small that it might get kicked out of the one Clark, Wyoming cafe because it's more cost effective to just meet in the shed next door. But like the Tea Party, it'll soon be co-opted due to the national exposure and people with "join" it as an act of protest - just like the Tea Party.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    And that's why you are a tool.
    No. I'm a tool for completely different reasons.

The Republican Party is in a serious internal struggle on the level the internecine political conflict that roiled the Democratic Party back in the mid-20th Century. Pick a side and stop pretending everything is fine.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought Bok was part of the "alt-right." You know, people who claimed to be conservative and then caucused for Obama.

14. Likes Newman liked this post