Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I got taken for a ride by a fake Uber driver

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djharkavy View Post
    As a sidenote, why would you take the car from Birdland to Jimmys? Even assuming no wait time for the car, you could walk as fast as the car could take you.

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.
    All mistakes are caused by the phone.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
    Not even close. It's 3 miles (try doing that in a group with women in heels) and it's an hour in very cold weather.

Last Online
    Today @ 9:28 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are we talking about the same Jimmys?
    I've got both on W 44th st, two blocks from each other

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nah!
    He's always been a fan of deregulated markets and technology.

Uber fits his worldview well.

Unencumbered markets, not deregulated. Uber and Lyft are regulated, just not in the byzantine and corrupt way that taxis are. I remember when taxis were not allowed to accept credit cards when all limos were taking them. Even now some cities require a surcharge for using a debit card. That's just stupid and it's not the city's place to micromanage this fee.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are we talking about the same Jimmys?
    I've got both on W 44th st, two blocks from each other

Jimmy at the James, also called "The Jimmy." The address is in the TaxiFareFinder link.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Jimmy at the James, also called "The Jimmy." The address is in the TaxiFareFinder link.
    In that case, I'd take the A train. Again, less time even assuming instant pickup.

But I've checked. At this time of day, uber is cheaper.

Of course that can change depending on the multiplier.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    In that case, I'd take the A train. Again, less time even assuming instant pickup.

But I've checked. At this time of day, uber is cheaper.

Of course that can change depending on the multiplier.

Trains are most definitely not faster door to door. We beat the "New Yorkers" in our group (actually Stamford, CT residents) by 20 minutes. They had to walk to the subway entrance, walk down the stairs, wait for the train, ride the train stopping every few feet, get off at their stop, walk up the stairs, then walk to the building. Our Uber was outside Birdland within 2 minutes of us walking outside (in February - BRRRRR!) and we rode to the front door of the James.

I get that there is a huge resistance to new concepts for New Yorkers. "Trains are better" is something we hear all the time but they really aren't and I've tried using them exclusively on a few trips just to see if there was something I don't "get." What I got was the "flavor of New York" which smelled a lot like a tunnel full of homeless people, sweat, oil, and trash. Maybe New Yorkers are just noseblind to it.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Trains are most definitely not faster door to door. We beat the "New Yorkers" in our group (actually Stamford, CT residents) by 20 minutes. They had to walk to the subway entrance, walk down the stairs, wait for the train, ride the train stopping every few feet, get off at their stop, walk up the stairs, then walk to the building. Our Uber was outside Birdland within 2 minutes of us walking outside (in February - BRRRRR!) and we rode to the front door of the James.

I get that there is a huge resistance to new concepts for New Yorkers. "Trains are better" is something we hear all the time but they really aren't and I've tried using them exclusively on a few trips just to see if there was something I don't "get." What I got was the "flavor of New York" which smelled a lot like a tunnel full of homeless people, sweat, oil, and trash. Maybe New Yorkers are just noseblind to it.
    To each their own. I've spent half an hour going two blocks in my car more often than I want to think about. In the periphery, I'll drive or take a car unless the subway is nearby. But I'll take the subway in Manhattan nearly anytime over driving

8. Likes scott liked this post