Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip to Oregon

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Road Trip to Oregon

We should be heading out this weekend. Started snowing tonight. We've been gathering and sorting gear all week. That's been a tough decision because we will be driving down in "Big Butt" our black dually without a tailgate or bed cover. I put a net tailgate on and we will put gear in dry bags (from our bush skiff days) wrapped in a blue tarp and nested in a cargo net.

The plan is to take the Alaskan Highway to the Cassiar Highway through BC. That will be a fairly remote trip till Prince George. So being a prepper, and unable to take a handgun through Canada, I settled for a 12 GA tactical pump shotgun. 00 buck for the first round followed by rifled slugs.

We will tent camp our way down. Dug out the old reliable VE-24, our expedition bags, and multi fuel MSR -XGK. Probably go freeze dried for the ease of cooking (boil water, stir, wait, eat).

On the way back we will be in the luxury of the Bigfoot. That made the gear choices difficult. It's tempting to load up action packers with all the gear for the camper trip back but then we have to store the action packers. So we decided to go spartan. Minimal cook gear, clothes, and tools. The rest we will buy in Oregon.

Probably will be off the grid for most of the trip but if there are any outstanding pictures worth sharing I will try and post them up later.

Cheers
    Jim
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    We should be heading out this weekend. Started snowing tonight. We've been gathering and sorting gear all week. That's been a tough decision because we will be driving down in "Big Butt" our black dually without a tailgate or bed cover. I put a net tailgate on and we will put gear in dry bags (from our bush skiff days) wrapped in a blue tarp and nested in a cargo net.

The plan is to take the Alaskan Highway to the Cassiar Highway through BC. That will be a fairly remote trip till Prince George. So being a prepper, and unable to take a handgun through Canada, I settled for a 12 GA tactical pump shotgun. 00 buck for the first round followed by rifled slugs.

We will tent camp our way down. Dug out the old reliable VE-24, our expedition bags, and multi fuel MSR -XGK. Probably go freeze dried for the ease of cooking (boil water, stir, wait, eat).

On the way back we will be in the luxury of the Bigfoot. That made the gear choices difficult. It's tempting to load up action packers with all the gear for the camper trip back but then we have to store the action packers. So we decided to go spartan. Minimal cook gear, clothes, and tools. The rest we will buy in Oregon.

Probably will be off the grid for most of the trip but if there are any outstanding pictures worth sharing I will try and post them up later.

Cheers
    Jim
    Safe trip!
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Safe trip!
    Thanks!! I sincerely hope so. That said, we are pretty well prepared. We can hole up if the weather gets nasty and we are riding on 6 blizzak tires and have chains for rear outboard and front tires.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weather calls for a high pressure system and clearing starting Saturday. Looking at BC weather the nighttime lows are only in the 20's so not bad but there is some snow predicted. Prince George to Seattle is only about 550 miles. We'll be fine.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!! I sincerely hope so. That said, we are pretty well prepared. We can hole up if the weather gets nasty and we are riding on 6 blizzak tires and have chains for rear outboard and front tires.
    Is that behemoth 4WD?
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that behemoth 4WD?
    6 WD actually

Crazy think is it has an after market tuner with many other performance upgrades. I had my diesel tech have the tuner reprogrammed to fit the needs of hauling the "ORKA". The tuner has five settings. 1 is mostly stock, 2 is mild towing upgrade, 3 is ORKA mod, 4 is "Street" (for when some pimple faced yahoo gets beside you at a light with his "Honda with a can", 5 is "MAXX". So I asked my tech to get the the numbers the tunes represent.

3 will throw you back in the seat without a load in the truck. I didn't go any higher. It turns out 5 is about 100HP short of a Dodge Hellcat.

The "Behemoth has teeth. :tip hat:

Last edited by Frostbit; Friday, October 21st, 2016 at 1:44 AM.
    If it pays, it stays

7. Likes scott, Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    6 WD actually

Crazy think is it has an after market tuner with many other performance upgrades. I had my diesel tech have the tuner reprogrammed to fit the needs of hauling the "ORKA". The tuner has five settings. 1 is mostly stock, 2 is mild towing upgrade, 3 is ORKA mod, 4 is "Street" (for when some pimple faced yahoo gets beside you at a light with his "Honda with a can", 5 is "MAXX". So I asked my tech to get the the numbers the tunes represent.

3 will throw you back in the seat without a load in the truck. I didn't go any higher. It turns out 5 is about 100HP short of a Dodge Hellcat.

The "Behemoth has teeth. :tip hat:
    You keep mistaking me for a fellow gearhead. You lost me at "tuner." I only care about what they DO, not what innards make it possible. Beyond the displacement and the type of transmission, I'm pretty much a total girl about motor vehicles. My best automotive trick was knowing how to stick a comb in the automatic choke on cold mornings up in Maryland.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    knowing how to stick a comb in the automatic choke on cold mornings up in Maryland.

Don't know what's funnier. The comb or thinking a morning in Maryland can be cold.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what's funnier. The comb or thinking a morning in Maryland can be cold.
    Cold enough to stick the choke on a Mercury Comet.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Maryland has gotten to -20 temps. It can get cold, don't fool yourself!
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.