Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Happens If Republicans Refuse to Replace Justice Scalia?

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djharkavy View Post
    If they hold hearings, then they have to come up with a reason to view a nominee down.
    Far better to claim to want to wait for the will of the people.

I'm curious what the excuse will be after the election.
    "Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness; only power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from all the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just round the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?"

~ From 1984 by George Orwell
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

~ Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

2. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 2:45 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the motivation and hope that it catches up with them.
    But I'm curious as to how they will spin it.

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.
    All mistakes are caused by the phone.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djharkavy View Post
    I understand the motivation and hope that it catches up with them.
    But I'm curious as to how they will spin it.
    They don't have to spin it, is my point.

I think it is a low possibility they will do it, anyway. So it is probably a moot point. But then again, I said there was no way the FBI sticks their beak into the election and we see how wrong that was.
    "35% of my party believes that Obama's a Muslim born in Kenya; [Trump's] locked that crowd down."

~ Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

Last Online
    Today @ 3:29 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Amazing...

Republicans/conservatives have no right to attempt to forward their ideals but Democratics/Progessives do.

The logic loses me.

Back to the political crack pipe..

I might find it in an opium bowl
    The Republicans said they wouldn't even consider any replacement for Scalia this year, because they wanted voters to have a say. And now that voters are about to have their say, Republicans are talking about ignoring what the voters said. It's pretty simple, but I don't doubt that it escapes you.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Republicans need to let the process happen.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:29 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a scene I would love to see: The Senate Judiciary Committee schedules a hearing for Merrick Garland in late November, and Garland gives an opening statement in which he reads quote after quote after quote of Republican senators saying the next president should appoint Scalia's successor, tells them he won't be a part of their hypocrisy, withdraws his name from consideration, pulls the microphone off the stand, drops it on the floor, and walks out.
    Last edited by Norm dePlume; Thursday, November 3rd, 2016 at 10:45 AM.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post

no way the FBI sticks their beak into the election
    The FBI hasn't stuck it's beak into the election. It has stuck it's beak into Hillary's wrong doing and pay-to-play.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:41 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    If, God forbid, Hillary Clinton were elected President then she will nominate a disabled Chinese-American-Indian moderate. The Senate will approve.

It's important to remember that Scalia was approved with 98 votes in the Senate. Who knows what deals are made behind the scenes to produce a vote like that.
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

10. Likes Michele, Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    "Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness; only power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from all the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just round the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?"

~ From 1984 by George Orwell

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. George Orwell
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.