Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horrifying: I Will Still Be A Judge on Election Day.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Stand around and be bored.
    Wow. That's one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen on here.

If you seriously believe that, I urge you to contact your local County Clerk and submit an application to be an Election Judge for the next election.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Stupid question: what exactly are your responsibilities as an election judge?
    In this election, the other Judge and I will be responsible for closing the poll at a ballot drop-off site.
    We will secure the drop-box and together take it to a secured location and transfer it (under police supervision) to a representative of the County Clerk's Office. We will swear that neither of us have tampered with the ballots.

Ordinarily, I have been the Lead Judge at a designated polling place. I was responsible for working with the polling place ahead of time to designate an appropriate place within the building for voting, securing the perimeter, and determining whatever chairs, tables, etc., were required.

Prior to Election Day, my fellow Judges and I attended many hours of training on various aspects of voting including tedious (but important) legal issues, false document detection, machine voting troubleshooting, accessibility issues, dealing with poll watchers and other designated observers, emergency procedures, ballot security, site security, ballot tally issues, etc.

On the day of the Eeection, I picked up all the needed materials long before the polls opened and met with my team. I assigned them their various roles, ensured the poll was compliant legally, and opened it.

I spent the day handling all the weird stuff that other Judges encountered, made determinations about document validity, issued provisional ballots, worked with other Lead Judges at other polls to sort out validity issues, talked with the Clerk's office to resolve some matters, ensured the poll watchers had what they needed from us, calmed down the angry or frustrated, and calmed down the odd Judge who had an unpleasant interaction with the public. I also periodically went outside to shoo away over enthusiastic supporters of one candidate or another.

I closed the poll. Since I am apparently one of 3 people in the USA who can do math, I tallied all the ballots and accounted for all discarded, voided, or "mystery" ballot situations. (The count must be correct. If it takes you 5 tries, that's how long it takes you.) I worked with the Machine Judge to tally those ballots. I verified the application of all the seals and with another Judge, loaded all the secured materials into my car. We also returned the poll to its original format by removing signage, moving furniture, and working with the facility manager.

Then we drove to the transfer point, swore and signed that all was legal, and I drove the other Judge back to his or her car.

Did I ever have 20 minutes here or there where nothing was happening? Sure. If every voter was prepared, knowledgeable, calm, law-abiding, and not impaired in any way - there would be no need for any Judges. We could confidently allow people to do in-person voting with no oversight. Still waiting for that world to materialize.

It was a long day.

3. Thanks Tom Servo thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 1:26 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

If you seriously believe that, I urge you to contact your local County Clerk and submit an application to be an Election Judge for the next election.
    No thanks! LOLOLOL........... maybe my polling places just aren't as busy as yours.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

No! Don't say that! Some poor county clerk in Virginia will never forgive you.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks! LOLOLOL........... maybe my polling places just aren't as busy as yours.
    You have no idea what's happening in "your" polling place. You are not there at 6:00 a.m. or 9:00 p.m. When you stroll in a 6:00 p.m. you may have just missed the drunk guy with spray paint, the illegal alien who is convinced she can vote, the Mom of two who did not register to vote but who is super mad right that minute.

You know nothing about how this works even in a largely white, largely working, largely law-abiding precinct. I have worked in some that are not.

If your last in-person voter experience was 10 years ago, you know nothing.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have no idea what's happening in "your" polling place. You are not there at 6:00 a.m. or 9:00 p.m. When you stroll in a 6:00 p.m. you may have just missed the drunk guy with spray paint, the illegal alien who is convinced she can vote, the Mom of two who did not register to vote but who is super mad right that minute.

You know nothing about how this works even in a largely white, largely working, largely law-abiding precinct. I have worked in some that are not.

If your last in-person voter experience was 10 years ago, you know nothing.
    It wasn't.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wasn't.
    Well, good for you for living in an even less problematic area than I do.

You should take me up on that application idea. There's nothing like hands-on experience to shake out the misconceptions.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, good for you for living in an even less problematic area than I do.

You should take me up on that application idea. There's nothing like hands-on experience to shake out the misconceptions.
    Maybe when I get Myself retired!

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe when I get Myself retired!
    I did it when I worked. Look into your State laws on elections. At first I used personal time but later I was compensated if I had the paperwork.

Last Online
    Monday, December 9th, 2019 @ 11:46 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Sometimes I think there really should be a test for voting. Maybe something like the final in a junior-high civics class. Or even just one random question from such a test. Some people really are too stupid to vote.
    It was a long day.

That is a lot of responsibility. Thank you for your service to your community.

I've always had time to speak to the poll workers when I've voted here in Alabama… our polling place is in a very lightly populated part of the county (in a county larger than Delaware) and they've told me in the past it's surprisingly boring most of the time, and sheer madness the other 10%. But they love it, and they seem like really good people. Voting in the primary this year I was surprised that one of the poll workers was (somewhat) freely expressing her support for the Democrats when I asked for a Dem ballot. I thought that wasn't allowed. My county is so solidly Republican that she must have just been happy to have someone in her line. Hell, I'm sure I was one of only one or two voting for Sanders in that precinct. Less than 10,000 Dem votes were cast in my entire county for all the candidates combined; Trump alone got over 23,000.
    “Your boos mean nothing, I see what makes you cheer! … Every breath I take without your permission increases my self-esteem!” - Rick Sanchez