Thread: Jury selection in Dylan Roof case begins Monday

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Jury selection in Dylan Roof case begins Monday

Pretty interesting local article. It's not really about the Roof case itself, but instead about the procedure of going through jury selection for a capital trial.

Unlike in state court, in a federal death penalty case, a jury’s unanimous vote for death is binding on presiding Judge Richard Gergel, who would then formally impose the sentence.

In recent weeks, potential jurors who obviously couldn’t be on the jury for various issues – because of the essential nature of their job or because they are a sole caregiver or have health restraints – already have been excluded.

During the more intense jury selection phase that begins Monday, individual jurors are likely to sit on the witness stand and be questioned, first by Judge Gergel, and then, possibly, by defense and prosecution lawyers.

No one knows how long this phase – called voir dire, or preliminary questioning – will take. Estimates are from two to five weeks.

“You can only examine a certain number of jurors each day,” said Columbia defense attorney Jack Swerling, who recalls that selecting a death qualified jury in the 1983 case of the notorious multiple murderer Donald “Pee Wee” Gaskins took four weeks.

“Forty-five minutes to an hour per juror is not unusual,” Swerling said.

Prospective jurors’ attitudes on race also may be probed, lengthening the questioning process, Swerling said, since Roof is accused of deliberately killing African-Americans to try to start a race war. “I would be shocked if lawyers didn’t pursue those kinds of questions as to whether that would influence a juror’s thinking.”

In the Roof trial, from a pool of 512 potential jurors, Judge Gergel has ordered 20 prospective jurors to report for questioning each day until a total of 70 potential jurors are found to be qualified.

[....]

A ‘detailed, personal snapshot’

A prospective juror’s beliefs on the death penalty are elicited by the court through the posing of hypothetical questions.

“If a potential juror says, ‘I’m pretty sure I’m going to give the death penalty (if someone is found guilty of murder),’ the job of the prosecutor is to rehabilitate that juror, to bring them back to the center and show they could listen to evidence that would show the defendant should get life in prison, and that they could, if circumstances warranted, vote for life in prison,” Gasser said.

Conversely, Gasser said, if a potential juror says, ‘I don’t know if I could sign that death form,’” or “I could never give the death penalty” – “the job of the defense lawyer is to rehabilitate that juror to push them into the middle ground, to get them to say they could envision a set of circumstances where they would give the death penalty.”

If a juror is obviously locked in to one extreme position or the other on life or death, the judge is likely to excuse that juror.

Under a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, jurors are not be allowed to serve on a death penalty case if their objection to the death penalty “would prevent or substantially impair the performance of their duties.” That means any juror who is opposed to the death penalty in all circumstances would be excused by the judge.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 2:00 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    “If a potential juror says, ‘I’m pretty sure I’m going to give the death penalty (if someone is found guilty of murder),’ the job of the prosecutor is to rehabilitate that juror, to bring them back to the center and show they could listen to evidence that would show the defendant should get life in prison, and that they could, if circumstances warranted, vote for life in prison,” Gasser said.
    That's crazy.

How hard can it be to find jurors who think Roof it guilty because he admits to it and because there are witnesses and to sentence him to......

Hmmmm. What form of death should he receive? A needle sounds too good. I would say hang him, but that might be considered racist.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    That's crazy.

How hard can it be to find jurors who think Roof it guilty because he admits to it and because there are witnesses and to sentence him to......

Hmmmm. What form of death should he receive? A needle sounds too good. I would say hang him, but that might be considered racist.
    Well, you're definitely off the jury panel.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's crazy.

You have to be able to enter the trial with an open mind as to guilt and penalty if guilty.

That's hard to do with a well publicized case like this one.

Sent from my phone, using Tapatalk.
    All mistakes are caused by the phone.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 2:00 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djharkavy View Post
    You have to be able to enter the trial with an open mind as to guilt and penalty if guilty.

That's hard to do with a well publicized case like this one.

I guess I'm a little fed up with the outright racism down here mixed in with white people having to explain their every move and be declared a racist because of people like Roof.

He admitted to it and there are witnesses, so you can't debate if he did it.

Possible not guilty scenarios.

1) Insanity. If he had pulled that stunt in the state he came from, that's not even an option. We have guilty, but insane in NC. That means we get somebody psychological help before punishing them (so really, who is the real monster? It's not me).

2) Dylan Roof had a look alike that's setting him up.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm a little fed up with the outright racism down here mixed in with white people having to explain their every move and be declared a racist because of people like Roof.

He admitted to it and there are witnesses, so you can't debate if he did it.

Possible not guilty scenarios.

1) Insanity. If he had pulled that stunt in the state he came from, that's not even an option. We have guilty, but insane in NC. That means we get somebody psychological help before punishing them (so really, who is the real monster? It's not me).

2) Dylan Roof had a look alike that's setting him up.
    Why not forgo a trial and execute him?

Last Online
    Friday, December 6th, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Well, you're definitely off the jury panel.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:53 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hereby nominate Fire Water Burn the theme song for this thread.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:54 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prospective jurors’ attitudes on race also may be probed, lengthening the questioning process, Swerling said, since Roof is accused of deliberately killing African-Americans to try to start a race war. “I would be shocked if lawyers didn’t pursue those kinds of questions as to whether that would influence a juror’s thinking.”
    What prospective juror would answer honestly? At least white ones.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Projection is an amazing phenomenon.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).