Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trump’s voters were ‘hidden’ in plain sight

Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Ultimately, Trump got Romney's vote but Clinton didn't get Obama's. Around 7 million stayed home.

She should have tacked left instead of right; she should have had Bernie instead of Kaine; she should have nailed down the Midwest instead of seeking out the southeast.

But maybe none of that could have beaten Comey.
    Last I checked, Trump had about a million less votes than Romney, about even with McCain. Clinton had about 5 million less than Obama in 2012, and 9 million less than Obama in 2008.

So, if Trump brought any new people in, it was more than offset by people that left. And, like you say, Clinton failed to get a lot of Obama voters.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:58 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Last I checked, Trump had about a million less votes than Romney, about even with McCain. Clinton had about 5 million less than Obama in 2012, and 9 million less than Obama in 2008.

So, if Trump brought any new people in, it was more than offset by people that left. And, like you say, Clinton failed to get a lot of Obama voters.
    Hillary had the same problem McCain and Romney had. Voters weren't interested enough in them to get off the sofa to go vote.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know, there appears to be a great deal of condescension toward people who live in the city.
    On a regional level, I think the word would be animosity.
    I can only speak for Michigan, but our major metropolitan cities, Detroit, Flint and Pontiac, have been failing since the auto companies pulled up stakes in the 70's and 80's. Now those same cities, largely via the state government, are coming after suburban and rural money to rebuild.
    Because of their majority population they consistently voted for tax increases that they don't pay but we do and it goes to their benefit. The entire state had to pony up to get Detroit out of bankruptcy. (This is why I tend to not be s supportive of EC reform and the tyranny of the majority democracy many are calling for)

Of course because Detroit is overwhelmingly majority non-white while Flint and Pontiac are also to a somewhat lesser degree, any criticism is met with the same charges of racism and bigotry. They also vote overwhelmingly Democratic. It seems a repeating cultural history of living off of OPM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    On election night, the experts kept insisting the election was a rejection of Clinton. But it wasn’t — at least not just Clinton. It was also of the Bush dynasty and every other symbol of establishmentarianism.
    Correct. It was an objection to being squeezed in the middle.

Last Online
    Today @ 2:00 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Hillary had the same problem McCain and Romney had. Voters weren't interested enough in them to get off the sofa to go vote.

Mark
    And Trump had fewer voters then any of the above, except McCain.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    And Trump had fewer voters then any of the above, except McCain.
    Does not matter. He won.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    “Look, elites don’t understand why America needs to be great again because for them America is great,” said Haynes. Their economy is strong, their lifestyle is comfortable and the communities they live in, in and around New York and Washington, are the wealthiest and most influential in the country.

Lot of Trump supporters in my affluent neighborhood. Their lifestyles are pretty comfortable.
    You are either lying to us about your finances or your neighborhood isn't all the affluent.

Rich people don't bitch about how much their teacher wives make.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know, there appears to be a great deal of condescension toward people who live in the city.
    Because most of them deserve it. There is no city/rural divide in their minds, it's "we're better than those unsophisticated idiots."

Direct democracy is mob rule which is why leftists want it. You were signing an entirely different tune in 2004 when Bush got more votes than Kerry.