Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Incredible Reason You Might Start Seeing Safety Pins Everywhere

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

The Incredible Reason You Might Start Seeing Safety Pins Everywhere

In the wake of Donald Trump’s election, many groups in the U.S., including African Americans, Muslims and women, are feeling scared and uneasy.

Trump, who has said he would ban all Muslims from entering the U.S., made sexist and insulting comments about women and racist comments about people of color in America, is a frightening prospect for many Americans who believe he is unfit for office.

So while protests rage on across the country, one movement is using a simple yet powerful symbol to show their support for anyone who is fearful of what is to come.

By fastening a safety pin to their clothing, people are declaring themselves allies to groups who have been maligned by Trump, to show that they stand in solidarity with anyone who might be afraid.

And as we’ve been dismayed to find out in the days following Trump’s election, it appears that there is reason to fear. People across the country have shared stories on social media of violence and hate speech directed at them in the wake of Trump’s victory. Racist graffiti was spotted around the country and minorities reported experiencing harassment the day after Trump was elected.

These frightening instances illustrate why the #safetypin idea ― which was inspired by a movement following Brexit in the United Kingdom ― is so timely. It’s a tiny gesture, but it speaks volumes, assuring people they are not alone.

And the movement seems to be catching on. Americans are posting photos of themselves on social media, declaring themselves “safe places” and showing support for women, people of color and other marginalized groups.

Check out some of the allies and their powerful messages of hope below.

Powerful Messages of Hope at Link

The comments are almost better than the article.
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just what we need. More enablers.
    You can't spell "hatred" without "red hat".

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Just what we need. More enablers.
    I think this is a great idea. You have no idea how many times in a month a woman might have the need for a safety pin. Now there's more of a chance she'll find one.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

4. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    I think this is a great idea. You have no idea how many times in a month a woman might have the need for a safety pin. Now there's more of a chance she'll find one.
    For the inauguration, let's see if we can get the Left to start wearing bobby pins and curlers. Imagine the convenience!

"Oh, darn, Julie! I really wish I had a couple of curlers and some bobby pins before my date tonight."
    "Not to worry, Sally! Bill has a head full of them!"
    *squee*
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, politics aside, identifying oneself as willing to help in a bad situation is not a bad idea as long as the person wearing the safety pin is capable of helping and genuinely willing to do so. Any parent/guardian/adult responsible for a kid has told a kid how to identify the safest people to go to if separated from their own adult(s). We had a hierarchy: a police officer, if you see one. A woman with kids. A female security guard. A female salesclerk. An older woman. A man with kids. A male security guard.

Years ago in SF, business owners could get a sign to put in their window that designated their business as a safe place for kids to seek help if they were afraid. You had to be vetted by SFPD to get one. Later, when gay-bashing was starting to be a major problem in gay neighborhoods, one of the community organizations put out a sign you could put in the window of your house to indicate that a gay person being attacked or harassed could expect help there. Since the campaign was only publicized in the gay papers, and thugs from the other side of the bay didn't read those, I never heard of an incident where a punk used the sign to gain access to a gay home for nefarious purposes.

The problem with a social media campaign like this is that it's basically an open invitation to bad people to wear the identifier and use that to attract vulnerable people, who are then easy victims. It's a nice idea, but the potential for unintended bad consequences is very much there.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    But this movement isn't about identifying as a person for help. It's politics, pure and simple. And fluff. I agree with your position about teaching kids about where to go for help. I don't see this as part of that solution.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

8. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    But this movement isn't about identifying as a person for help. It's politics, pure and simple. And fluff. I agree with your position about teaching kids about where to go for help. I don't see this as part of that solution.
    There's a part of it that is, mostly the teen/young adult contingent. They're saying it identifies someone you can ask for help on the street or the bus or wherever if you're being harassed for your perceived or actual identity.

I don't personally foresee anyone needing that purely as an outcome of the election, but there are unquestionably times when someone finds themselves in the wrong neighborhood for whatever their identifiable characteristic may be. Knowing who on the street or in a business wouldn't just join in with the bad guys could be helpful.

As far as personally goes, my source for all this information is the resident youth, who says, "Why do you think I carry TWO stun devices?"
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    There's a part of it that is, mostly the teen/young adult contingent. They're saying it identifies someone you can ask for help on the street or the bus or wherever if you're being harassed for your perceived or actual identity.

I don't personally foresee anyone needing that purely as an outcome of the election, but there are unquestionably times when someone finds themselves in the wrong neighborhood for whatever their identifiable characteristic may be. Knowing who on the street or in a business wouldn't just join in with the bad guys could be helpful.

As far as personally goes, my source for all this information is the resident youth, who says, "Why do you think I carry TWO stun devices?"
    That is like "wear jeans on Friday for gay rights" when I was in college. I was scolded for wearing jeans because I was a Republican. As it turns out they didn't want people wearing jeans to show support for them, they wanted people to wear jeans as a marker of political solidarity.

This is the same thing.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    That is like "wear jeans on Friday for gay rights" when I was in college. I was scolded for wearing jeans because I was a Republican. As it turns out they didn't want people wearing jeans to show support for them, they wanted people to wear jeans as a marker of political solidarity.

This is the same thing.
    You didn't wear jeans every day in college????

Last Online
    Sunday, March 24th, 2019 @ 3:25 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it that the only violence I've seen is coming from the Left.

And is rioting and protesting their go-to thing now? "My guy lost and someone hurt my feelings." "What do you want to do?" "Let's go 'protest' and throw some trashcans through honest peoples businesses".

I'm only guessing here but I don't think those four or five nice gentlemen that beat down that white guy outside of his car were wearing safety pins. And I for sure as hell know that there isn't a single safety pin wearing pajama boy that will ever step foot into that neighborhood. I doubt the PJ boys will ever go farther than the inside of a Starbucks wearing one. Give me a break.

13. Likes 80zephyr liked this post