Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Most of arrested Portland protesters didn't vote in Oregon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 1:11 PM
    Posts
    18,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Most of arrested Portland protesters didn't vote in Oregon

    Most of arrested Portland protesters didn't vote in Oregon

    Arrested protesters appear in court

    Kyle Iboshi, KGW 1:59 PM. PST November 15, 2016
    (Photo: Christine Pitawanich)

    PORTLAND, Ore. ó More than 70 percent of the 112 protesters arrested in Portland last week didnít vote in Oregon, according to state election records. The other approximately 30 percent did cast a ballot in Oregon or in another state.

    At least seventy-nine demonstrators either didnít turn in a ballot or werenít registered to vote in the state.

    Following Tuesday's presidential election of Donald Trump, thousands of people took to the streets in downtown Portland for five straight notes. The activity included at least one night that the police declared to be a riot, with more than $1 million in property damage. The bulk of the arrests happened on Friday and Saturday evenings as protesters faced off against police.

    KGW compiled a list of the 112 people arrested by the Portland Police Bureau during recent protests. Those names and ages, provided by police, were then compared to state voter logs by Multnomah County Elections officials.

    Records show 39 of the protesters arrested were registered in the state but didnít return a ballot for the November 8 election. Thirty-six of the demonstrators taken into custody werenít registered to vote in Oregon.

    Kevin Grigsby was one of 71 arrested during the Saturday night protest. He said he didn't do anything wrong, but told KGW he also did not vote.

    "I did not (vote) and the reason why is because we know that the electoral college is really what matters the most. And I think that we need to change that because your vote doesnít matter if you donít have enough electoral college points.," said Grigsby.

    It is unclear if those who aren't registered in Oregon are registered to vote in other states. Most of those gave Oregon addresses as their official residence in court records.
    Of course, Oregon's results will send their electors for Clinton.

    Why does anybody tolerate this stuff? I had people from way out of state go to my house and bother me after work and on weekends because I refused to join a union. It's not your business, buddy.

    If people in a locale feel like they need to do this, whatever. Don't bus them in from elsewhere or pay them to create havoc.

    KGW

  2. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:15 AM
    Posts
    10,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paid protesters.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

    link

    Time will tell.

  4. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Saturday, January 3rd, 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 4:46 AM
    Posts
    11,255
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG, what a surprise!

    Lol

    Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

    "Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

    Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

    Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 1:11 PM
    Posts
    18,688
    Post Thanks / Like
    The great part is that is happening in liberal strongholds. They obviously are avoiding places where traditionally a "protest" might actually make a difference.

    This means they are simply doing it wrong. In previous eras, the protests were held in front of the power-brokers or the government. Portland (San Francisco, Atlanta, etc.) are not those places, really.

    I mean, those places do broker power but they have no oppositional efforts; they're preaching to the choir.

    So, how is this effort going to change any hearts or minds?

    On the contrary, the Middle America that selected Trump will simply see this as conformation of their vote.

    Normal people simply can't flood the streets in protest. We're all working or looking after kids, retired with daily obligations, or doing all of that with gig jobs. And we know it.

    The only people who can do this day after day are people who don't work and who have some income either through welfare, student loans, or parental support. Or as paid activists.

    No matter how they manage to pay rent and screw off all day, it just reinforces Trump voters.

    What a dumb move.

  7. Likes Lady Marva, scott, 80zephyr liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:15 AM
    Posts
    10,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The great part is that is happening in liberal strongholds. They obviously are avoiding places where traditionally a "protest" might actually make a difference.

    This means they are simply doing it wrong. In previous eras, the protests were held in front of the power-brokers or the government. Portland (San Francisco, Atlanta, etc.) are not those places, really.

    I mean, those places do broker power but they have no oppositional efforts; they're preaching to the choir.

    So, how is this effort going to change any hearts or minds?

    On the contrary, the Middle America that selected Trump will simply see this as conformation of their vote.

    Normal people simply can't flood the streets in protest. We're all working or looking after kids, retired with daily obligations, or doing all of that with gig jobs. And we know it.

    The only people who can do this day after day are people who don't work and who have some income either through welfare, student loans, or parental support. Or as paid activists.

    No matter how they manage to pay rent and screw off all day, it just reinforces Trump voters.

    What a dumb move.

    It's so funny how the facade is crumbling and these people are bitterly clinging to their daily stipends and manufactured outrage.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Wednesday, June 17th, 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Posts
    10,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    So, how is this effort going to change any hearts or minds?


    What a dumb move.
    Especially since it's after the fact. Do they think they're going to change election results?\
    Myself really doesn't get this: high school students just taking off from school, three days in a row? Ok, to be fair they're parroting their parents. Montgomery County, MD is so blue you'd be hard pressed to find 10 Republicans. But whatever in the whole dang world do these high school students - who can't vote- think is going to happen? Liberal tolerance = beat somebody up. At least they have destroyed any businesses- yet.
    Teen in Trump Campaign Hat Beaten During School Post-Election Protest
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...401488636.html

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    14,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many students returned to class, but some marched from the school to downtown Silver Spring, about 3 miles away.
    At least they're getting some exercise. When I went to high school in Prince Georges County, we thought nothing of cutting our last class, bussing it to the Hawk'n'Dove, and walking to M Street to stroll amongst the head shops and quirky candle stores of Georgetown, a walking distance of about 5 miles each way. Once we moved to Montgomery County, I don't recall seeing the kids walk farther than the front door to the curb or maybe the neighborhood pool. Of course, by then I was in college and working summers, so Nova may recall it differently.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

    The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Wednesday, June 17th, 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Posts
    10,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    At least they're getting some exercise. When I went to high school in Prince Georges County, we thought nothing of cutting our last class, bussing it to the Hawk'n'Dove, and walking to M Street to stroll amongst the head shops and quirky candle stores of Georgetown, a walking distance of about 5 miles each way. Once we moved to Montgomery County, I don't recall seeing the kids walk farther than the front door to the curb or maybe the neighborhood pool. Of course, by then I was in college and working summers, so Nova may recall it differently.
    No clue what this thread is about. None. So can't make a relevant post. At all.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    14,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    No clue. Period.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

    The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •