Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Have A Friend.....

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

I Have A Friend.....

...we have known each other for years and years. We don't discuss politics. She routinely advised me all summer and fall that she did not want to discuss politics. We never have, so whatever.

Today, I return her call because we have Turkey Day stuff to discuss. She needs to travel to a distant city to be with a family member who has cancer. All is fine. We discuss the family member.

Suddenly, out of the blue, she veers into the election. Trump is this, he's that - no woman could vote for him, etc. I am caught off guard. I do admit that I voted for the guy and briefly outlined why (taxes, enforcing immigration law, Supreme Court, etc.) and..............that was totally wrong. This entailed a high decibel description of why I was wrong and why I am a gender traitor.

I did the the 'we'll agree to disagree' thing. Nope. I did the "I disagree with your vote (idea) but think you are a good person" thing. Nope. I did the "Well, people have different perceptions of candidate speeches" thing. Nope.

She was fixated on Trump's misogyny (as she perceived it). This friend has worked for herself for decades. She is the boss. I have worked for both men and women and I've competed for jobs and raises against men all my life. I think I know what misogyny looks like. Nope, I don't.

Just a random slice of life from the election fallout. We'll patch it up but I would have never ripped it up to begin with.

2. Likes Michele, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 3:10 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    ...Suddenly, out of the blue, she veers into the election. Trump is this, he's that - no woman could vote for him, etc. I am caught off guard. I do admit that I voted for the guy and briefly outlined why (taxes, enforcing immigration law, Supreme Court, etc.) and..............that was totally wrong. This entailed a high decibel description of why I was wrong and why I am a gender traitor.

I did the the 'we'll agree to disagree' thing. Nope. I did the "I disagree with your vote (idea) but think you are a good person" thing. Nope. I did the "Well, people have different perceptions of candidate speeches" thing. Nope.

She was fixated on Trump's misogyny (as she perceived it). This friend has worked for herself for decades. She is the boss. I have worked for both men and women and I've competed for jobs and raises against men all my life. I think I know what misogyny looks like. Nope, I don't.

Just a random slice of life from the election fallout. We'll patch it up but I would have never ripped it up to begin with.
    Wiow, your personal OP of that mindset you posted the article about. Dang. Problem with this stuff is that people who voted for Trump are going to go to ground even more than before Trump was elected. This is not good.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Wiow, your personal OP of that mindset you posted the article about. Dang. Problem with this stuff is that people who voted for Trump are going to go to ground even more than before Trump was elected. This is not good.
    Honestly, I have no idea of what her mindset was. She is going through a stressful time. I was just kind of surprised she discussed politics at all. This is like the first time ever.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:19 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I have no idea of what her mindset was. She is going through a stressful time. I was just kind of surprised she discussed politics at all. This is like the first time ever.

She did not discuss politics from your description. She ranted. She will seek those she agrees with and they will reinforce your correctness. That will recharge her battery in giving her the energy to vent on the "gender traitors".
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    She did not discuss politics from your description. She ranted. She will seek those she agrees with and they will reinforce your correctness. That will recharge her battery in giving her the energy to vent on the "gender traitors".
    Maybe so. She's been in therapy for 4 straight years and believes that You Tube is an excellent resource for news.

Frankly, I've gone through way worse with her. Really big time crazy. Like intervention time stuff. I've stuck with her through all of it and this not the first time I've been 'condemned' for one thing thing or another.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:15 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some friends similarly unhinged. One blocked me on Facebook out of the blue. My wife is very worried that one unhinged relative will block us out in the future.

I should say we are not loudmouth people. I keep politics on the internet forums. My Facebook page was apolitical, a years-long policy I had to break recently in response to a number of belligerent friends. In our personal life we avoid political displays and conversations.

This is the first significant political reversal in the adult lifetimes of many people. It appears some progressives have come to feel very entitled to dominance.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...we have known each other for years and years. We don't discuss politics. She routinely advised me all summer and fall that she did not want to discuss politics. We never have, so whatever.

Today, I return her call because we have Turkey Day stuff to discuss. She needs to travel to a distant city to be with a family member who has cancer. All is fine. We discuss the family member.

Suddenly, out of the blue, she veers into the election. Trump is this, he's that - no woman could vote for him, etc. I am caught off guard. I do admit that I voted for the guy and briefly outlined why (taxes, enforcing immigration law, Supreme Court, etc.) and..............that was totally wrong. This entailed a high decibel description of why I was wrong and why I am a gender traitor.

Similar situation going on with a friend on facebook right now. He's damn determined to make me see how terrible of a person I am because I didn't side with his gay son.

Well except when his son worked for me and I told him that he didn't need to hide who he was.

But I didn't vote his way and he's throwing temper tantrums. He'll never lose me as a friend by he's definitely not getting invited to ride with me in the Christmas Boat Parade.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have literally no social media presence. When I did have a FB account, I didn't "friend" anybody, including all my diverse family and real-life friends. I don't "follow" any friends or relatives on Twitter nor do I allow them to "follow" me. My handle is way too obscure. I belong to Printerest and Instagram but never upload anything, "like" anything (even from friends and relatives), or ever refer to their stuff.

So, I've dodged that bullet this election.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Similar situation going on with a friend on facebook right now. He's damn determined to make me see how terrible of a person I am because I didn't side with his gay son.

Well except when his son worked for me and I told him that he didn't need to hide who he was.

But I didn't vote his way and he's throwing temper tantrums. He'll never lose me as a friend by he's definitely not getting invited to ride with me in the Christmas Boat Parade.
    Nova has a dear old friend who's kind of like a younger cousin to me. He calls me "Sis," but I actually have a perfectly good brother already, so I stick with the cousin analogy. However, he's been "part of the family" for longer than some of my real kin, and I'm genuinely fond of him.

D is convinced they're coming for us. I just about had him calmed down, but he went back on the internet and got all worked up again. He sent me this:

The First Amendment Defense Act is the nuclear version of the so-called “religious freedom” laws that have appeared across the country, most infamously in Mike Pence’s Indiana. The Republican House will surely pass it, the Senate will pass it unless it’s filibustered by Democrats, and President-elect Trump has promised to sign it.

If it becomes law, FADA will be the worst thing to happen to women and LGBT people in a generation.
    I can't find any hard news source that confirms or refutes the allegation that Trump promised to sign it.

I object to the legislation because it once again gets government involved in evaluating the sincerity of religious convictions. That worked so well for the draft. Not.

And while nobody with a brain is going to have their life ruined by a bakery refusing to bake their wedding cake, if this law is enacted, we're right back to letting apartment developments exclude unmarried couples of any configuration, interracial couples, individuals whose religion is unacceptable to the owner, gay people...you name it. All the owner has to say is that doing business with those people is against his religion, and nobody can gainsay that. It's a free pass.

Nonetheless, I didn't have full civil rights for much of my life, and until we can beat this back (assuming it passes and is signed into law), I'll manage. It's not the end of the world; it's a set-back. The pendulum swings, but in the history of this country, we have dragged our feet on righting wrongs, but have almost never actually gone backward on civil rights.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

11. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:58 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I have some friends similarly unhinged. One blocked me on Facebook out of the blue. My wife is very worried that one unhinged relative will block us out in the future.

I should say we are not loudmouth people. I keep politics on the internet forums. My Facebook page was apolitical, a years-long policy I had to break recently in response to a number of belligerent friends. In our personal life we avoid political displays and conversations.

This is the first significant political reversal in the adult lifetimes of many people. It appears some progressives have come to feel very entitled to dominance.
    Nailed it.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

13. Likes scott liked this post