Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Driven to the "Fringe".

Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

And honestly, there's not a damn thing wrong with me for thinking people are being immature asses on the VERY LITTLE time I do go on facebook or the boards. Maybe we should compare how many posts I have on here and FB to yours? Wanna play that game since you're trying to make me out to be somebody who has no life? We can do that if you want to.
    Nice try Lanie. If you have problems I'm not the cause. Deal with it. I was actually trying to point out something that might help you such as not deciding that what's on FB is real. Carry on. Help offer rescinded.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking that once, in 1953, a group of interesting people just happened to be in a coffee shop at the same time and a great discussion of issues, ideas, and the meaning of life occurred. Since then we have been waiting at Starbucks for Lawrence Ferlinghetti to say something heavy.

3. Likes scott, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:42 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Nice try Lanie. If you have problems I'm not the cause. Deal with it. I was actually trying to point out something that might help you such as not deciding that what's on FB is real. Carry on. Help offer rescinded.
    I didn't say you were the cause or that I have a problem, so that's one reason why I didn't ask for help.

I just think the whole "get off of FB" thing is a copout, especially since I don't spend nearly as much time in these places as others do. I have a job. I was trying to read through an argument or two on here the other day and decided I didn't have time for it. I spend a lot of time writing, being with my family, working, etc. It's just that when I do go on the internet, I see people from both sides acting like kids. That's all I'm really saying. There's nothing wrong with me for noticing.

People (including my friend from church, who I know in real life) are saying what they want to say in real life. That doesn't make them nazis or kkk members, but it does make them childish. Actually, some of the reasons I do complain lately is because of stuff I've encountered in real life. I need to pull the plug on that. lol.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't say you were the cause or that I have a problem, so that's one reason why I didn't ask for help.

I just think the whole "get off of FB" thing is a copout, especially since I don't spend nearly as much time in these places as others do. I have a job. I was trying to read through an argument or two on here the other day and decided I didn't have time for it. I spend a lot of time writing, being with my family, working, etc. It's just that when I do go on the internet, I see people from both sides acting like kids. That's all I'm really saying. There's nothing wrong with me for noticing.

People (including my friend from church, who I know in real life) are saying what they want to say in real life. That doesn't make them nazis or kkk members, but it does make them childish. Actually, some of the reasons I do complain lately is because of stuff I've encountered in real life. I need to pull the plug on that. lol.
    The internet, including forums, and FB are like Halloween to a large sector that partake. Those people feel they can dress up how ever they wish. It's a day where the prude can be a sexy pirate, the wimp can be superman, etc. The problem is the charade can be daily as opposed to one acceptable night a year.

There are certainly people on this forum I feel portray their genuine self they would also portray in person, face to face. I've met a few of them. There's also at least one on here that's been described as "He wasn't like that in person". It's halloween everyday on the internet and on facebook.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one is "childish" for saying what they want to say in real life if they are simply voicing a divergent opinion. I'm no supporter of elective abortion or ruinous taxes but I don't think those who support those opinions are childish.

I think they are wrong. In an adult way. They are grown ups and so am I but we simply disagree. That's okay. Grown up people do not all hold the same views.

We should be very glad that they do not. When that happens (or appears to happen), you are living in a tribal/totalitarian state.

They are the same thing.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No one is "childish" for saying what they want to say in real life if they are simply voicing a divergent opinion. I'm no supporter of elective abortion or ruinous taxes but I don't think those who support those opinions are childish.

I think they are wrong. In an adult way. They are grown ups and so am I but we simply disagree. That's okay. Grown up people do not all hold the same views.

We should be very glad that they do not. When that happens (or appears to happen), you are living in a tribal/totalitarian state.

They are the same thing.

So, if eight years ago I went up to you and pretty much said stuff like "I had to put up with eight years of Bush. Now, you can suffer. Haha, suck it," would you think I was acting like an adult?

There's a HUGE difference between stating an opinion and acting childish about it.

Opinion: I am pro-choice because a woman needs to control her own body.

Childish: You all just want to control women. Well, guess what? Obama won and now you all lose!

Opinion: I am voting for John Kerry because I am for a right to choose and I don't want any more wars.

Childish: We're winning. Get out of Kerry country!

Opinion: I support Hillary Clinton because of her policies and I'll admit I'd like a woman to become president.

Childish: And after here, we'll have Chelsea, followed by Michelle, followed by Obama's daughters.

I'm hoping by using some ideas that you've probably had thrown up to you, you'd see it is childish. Here's the other side.

Opinion: I support Donald Trump because I think a business man will be good economically speaking.

Childish: All these other candidates aren't true conservatives. You better be a Trump supporter or I'll punch you. (Yes, I have heard that).

Opinion: I think I'll support Ted Cruz because he's the most conservative.

Childish: Let's support his 2020 campaign even though Trump might win.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    The internet, including forums, and FB are like Halloween to a large sector that partake. Those people feel they can dress up how ever they wish. It's a day where the prude can be a sexy pirate, the wimp can be superman, etc. The problem is the charade can be daily as opposed to one acceptable night a year.

There are certainly people on this forum I feel portray their genuine self they would also portray in person, face to face. I've met a few of them. There's also at least one on here that's been described as "He wasn't like that in person". It's halloween everyday on the internet and on facebook.
    I guess so. I know I'm often misunderstood. I honestly think if people could hear the tone of my voice as I'm speaking, then a lot of misunderstandings would be prevented. (That and not knowing my history from over ten years ago, trying to apply the same standards). And I'm probably missing a lot by not hearing tones of voice.

I realize on the internet, I come off as a Trump hater sometimes. In reality, I actually do want to see him succeed and do well as president. Why? Our country depends on it. I obviously have a lot of reservations about him, but I want to be proven wrong. I have been proven very wrong before and I've changed my tone on a subject.

I want to be proven wrong about Trump. I want to see he really does know what he's doing. I'd like to see him bring people together in the way some seem to think he can. I want to see him make our healthcare system great.....for the first time. So, that's what I actually think about Trump. I just hate some of the stuff I see in relation to him (but it's not just him, liberals too).

Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, if eight years ago I went up to you and pretty much said stuff like "I had to put up with eight years of Bush. Now, you can suffer. Haha, suck it," would you think I was acting like an adult?
    No, but it would have been typical of my experience at that point. In the workplace I was forced to hear a good deal "neener, neener" stuff.

The differences between us is that I have had to deal with divergent views in many contexts and I do not think that people who hold divergent views are evil. They're just wrong. They behave the way they behave. But in my experience, they behave the way they always do: the vicious, gossipy, snarky people behave that way and the even-handed, calm, measured people behave that way - regardless of political/social views.

Your experience may be different.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No, but it would have been typical of my experience at that point. In the workplace I was forced to hear a good deal "neener, neener" stuff.

The differences between us is that I have had to deal with divergent views in many contexts and I do not think that people who hold divergent views are evil. They're just wrong. They behave the way they behave. But in my experience, they behave the way they always do: the vicious, gossipy, snarky people behave that way and the even-handed, calm, measured people behave that way - regardless of political/social views.

Your experience may be different.
    I think you're taking this more seriously than need be. Just because I think somebody is behaving like a child doesn't mean I think they're evil or bad.

It doesn't mean I don't accept the people behaving that way, but to be clear, a lot of those people don't accept me for one reason or another. I think that's because they wouldn't be as snarky as they were if they didn't have some serious convictions about my point of view. So, I'm actually more tolerant toward people of different perspectives than the ones you're taking up for.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man Kicked J.F.K. Airport Worker Wearing Hijab, Prosecutor Says

A Massachusetts man was charged with hate crimes after he threatened an airline worker at Kennedy International Airport who was wearing a head scarf, kicked her and told her “Trump is here now” and “he will get rid of all of you,” officials said on Thursday.

The man, Robin A. Rhodes, 57, of Worcester, Mass., arrived from Aruba on Wednesday night and was awaiting a connecting flight to Massachusetts when he approached the worker, Rabeeya Khan, in the Delta Air Lines Sky Club lounge at Terminal 2 between 7:10 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., the Queens district attorney, Richard A. Brown, said in a statement on Thursday. Ms. Khan wore a head scarf known as a hijab.

Mr. Rhodes went to her office door and asked if she was sleeping and, according to the statement, said: “Are you praying? What are you doing?” He then punched the door, which hit the back of her chair. He threatened Ms. Khan and kicked her in the right leg, according to the statement. She moved to a corner of the office but he kicked the door, stepped into the office and blocked her from leaving.
    Still didn't affect my life, so I guess it doesn't count.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    -H. L. Mencken