Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most dangerous travel

Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Most dangerous travel

The posts on this thread are quite interesting. Especially when you see the foreigners citing locations in the US as being their most threatening experience.

Where was yours?
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    The posts on this thread are quite interesting. Especially when you see the foreigners citing locations in the US as being their most threatening experience.

Where was yours?
    It's a toss up between some parts of Atlanta and almost all of Oakland, CA.

Oddly, I've never felt endangered in outdoorsy settings even though you do meet some sketchy people from time to time.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's a toss up between some parts of Atlanta and almost all of Oakland, CA.

Oddly, I've never felt endangered in outdoorsy settings even though you do meet some sketchy people from time to time.
    Pretty amazing to read that thread and see some of the places these folks have visited. Some are because of work (oil industry), others military, but many chose to end up in dangerous locations in an attempt to get to those "safer" bush areas. Very true on the African continent and I suppose here in the US as well.
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Pretty amazing to read that thread and see some of the places these folks have visited. Some are because of work (oil industry), others military, but many chose to end up in dangerous locations in an attempt to get to those "safer" bush areas. Very true on the African continent and I suppose here in the US as well.
    Anywhere there's a big difference between urban areas and non-urban areas. It's not that you can't be attacked by humans or the environment in the wild but you just have less chance of it if you are fairly outdoorsy.

There are fewer human encounters and that's where most of the danger comes from. I'm very wary of rutting Elk and rattlesnakes and bears in the Spring but I'm way more paranoid in downtown Denver around the Performing Arts Center at 11:00 p.m. on a Saturday night.

Last Online
    Monday, December 9th, 2019 @ 9:12 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only place where I've ever actually been shot at was New Orleans.

I still say that they should just build a 20-foot-tall concrete wall around it and let it fill up with water, then turn it into a SCUBA attraction.
    Leftists have unquestionably demonstrated their hatred for due process, and Democrats have undeniably obstructed justice for, and thoroughly victim-shamed and smeared, Karen Monahan.

6. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The only place where I've ever actually been shot at was New Orleans.

I still say that they should just build a 20-foot-tall concrete wall around it and let it fill up with water, then turn it into a SCUBA attraction.
    LOLOLOL................ but there wouldn't be any beignets!
    LOLOLOL............. LSU must have had the concept. The lobby of one of the medical school buildings is all blue tile............ exactly like you're underwater.

Last Online
    Monday, December 9th, 2019 @ 11:46 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    LOLOLOL................ but there wouldn't be any beignets!
    Not to worry, a few places along the coast in Mississippi and Alabama make them and they're every bit as good as the ones in New Awfulins.

While I've never been overseas, I have been to some pretty sketchy parts of US cities, usually in the middle of the night. South side of Chicago near Cicero just before midnight; lost in the Bronx at 3 am; down through Bell Gardens and Compton and Watts after midnight; little Haiti after dark in Miami; East St. Louis and down STL after midnight… I never really felt all that scared in any of them (if I'd watched all the Miami episodes of The First 48 before, I'd have felt differently about Little Haiti) because none of them seemed to even rate next to any sizeable southern city's bad parts. West side Atlanta, west side Birmingham around Wenonah and West End, literally anywhere in New Orleans, the area around Crump Blvd in SW Memphis… Those are about the only places I felt on edge at one point or another, but even then I never felt truly scared anywhere.

I'll give an honorable mention to feeling very skeeved out when I got lost in the Mississippi Delta and wound up going into the town of Sunflower, population 696. Seemed like every one of them was out on the street after midnight and looking like they wanted to fuck my world up when I drove into the town around 2 am. It was the only time in nearly 7 years of exploring the Delta that I found a place that made me feel uncomfortable for being white. None of the other small towns, whether they were mostly or all black (there are no mostly white places in the Delta) had such a menacing vibe. Instead, the usual "I don't know you but we're best friends" vibe was prevalent everywhere else.
    “Your boos mean nothing, I see what makes you cheer! … Every breath I take without your permission increases my self-esteem!” - Rick Sanchez

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    I rarely worry about where I am when driving, since I would have no qualms at all about driving straight into someone who threatened me. The exception was when, with my elderly mother and my 6-year-old daughter in a van with multiple potential entry points, I pulled off I-95 in some godforsaken part of North Carolina or Virginia, looking for gas. There was a gas sign at the exit, but it was like a Twilight Zone episode: the road kept meandering through woods and fields, no sign of habitation anywhere, getting narrower...and then, suddenly, a service station, straight out of 1957 (old pumps with no credit-card slots and all). And nothing else. Except there were a bunch of really sketchy-looking men hanging around it, smoking and watching. And we were, by now, so low on gas I wasn't sure we'd make it back to the freeway before running out. And no cell service.

My Mom handed me a $20 and said, "Get enough to use that up and get us the hell out of here. Don't go over and don't wait for change. You're not going inside to use the credit card." Nothing happened, we got our gas and hauled ass back to civilization, but when 2 grown women who are anything but timid have the same creepy feeling about a place, there's a reason.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orange, NJ. I was lost. This was pre-cell phone era. The fast food places, where I thought I could use a pay phone, were swarmed with thuggish looking people that were just spilling about the streets. Ultimately I pulled onto a side street and saw someone in a car just about to leave a parking spot on the side. I stopped my car and got out to ask him how to get to I-95. He was a young black male (in his twenties) and looked horrified that I was out of my car. I remember that he sort of looked behind me to see if anyone was there and barked at me "get back in your car now and follow me" and he led me very quickly to 95. When I called my friend after getting home to tell him of it he was likewise horrified and asked why the hell I didn't stop to call him for him to get me home…same explanation as above.

Similar experience near Wilmington, DE once, except that I realized the person who was "leading" me was leading me into a dead end road near a warehouse and there was a car waiting down a bit with its lights off. I turned around and got out of there as fast as I could.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Orange, NJ. I was lost. This was pre-cell phone era. The fast food places, where I thought I could use a pay phone, were swarmed with thuggish looking people that were just spilling about the streets. Ultimately I pulled onto a side street and saw someone in a car just about to leave a parking spot on the side. I stopped my car and got out to ask him how to get to I-95. He was a young black male (in his twenties) and looked horrified that I was out of my car. I remember that he sort of looked behind me to see if anyone was there and barked at me "get back in your car now and follow me" and he led me very quickly to 95. When I called my friend after getting home to tell him of it he was likewise horrified and asked why the hell I didn't stop to call him for him to get me home…same explanation as above.

Similar experience near Wilmington, DE once, except that I realized the person who was "leading" me was leading me into a dead end road near a warehouse and there was a car waiting down a bit with its lights off. I turned around and got out of there as fast as I could.
    Go take a ride down 9th street in Chester now counselor.
    If it pays, it stays