Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Official Instant Pot Review

Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

My Official Instant Pot Review

Okay, for those not following my every breathless post, I got the Instant Pot for Christmas. And I climbed on board with a vengeance.

What this is:

It's an electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, and saute cooker. It also makes perfect yogurt. Perfect.

Unlike regular pressure cookers, you never need to worry about unanticipated food explosions. The safety measures on this thing are incredible. Cleaning is super easy. Changing the gaskets (if you do that kind of thing) are effortless.

You can, if you wish, make a full pot roast with veggies in 90 minutes at my altitude. It will be 60 minutes at your more sea level altitude. That includes the natural release time.

What I have made:

Pot roast, stews, various rices, risotto, ribs including spare and country, beef and pork,, brisket, innumerable soups, whole chickens, part chickens, a leg of lamb (some cutting involved), fish, quail, turkey breast, chicken thighs, wings, cake, steamed veggies, eggs, sauces/gravies, shin bones, bone broth, stock, steamed shrimp, shrimp balls, cheesecake, venison meatloaf, goose, venison loin, pork loin, rice, pilaf, polenta, tamales, perogies, steamed corn, yogurt, and whatever..... I've done more that that since I use it once or twice a week.

(Takes a breath, I've used it a lot.)

Yes, If you like to cook or feel time crunched when you cook, you want this. I have never used my rice cooker, slow cooker, etc., since I've had this item and I'm not an early-adopter on tech.

My advice: buy it.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Okay, for those not following my every breathless post, I got the Instant Pot for Christmas. And I climbed on board with a vengeance.

What this is:

It's an electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, and saute cooker. It also makes perfect yogurt. Perfect.

Unlike regular pressure cookers, you never need to worry about unanticipated food explosions. The safety measures on this thing are incredible. Cleaning is super easy. Changing the gaskets (if you do that kind of thing) are effortless.

You can, if you wish, make a full pot roast with veggies in 90 minutes at my altitude. It will be 60 minutes at your more sea level altitude. That includes the natural release time.

What I have made:

Pot roast, stews, various rices, risotto, ribs including spare and country, beef and pork,, brisket, innumerable soups, whole chickens, part chickens, a leg of lamb (some cutting involved), fish, quail, turkey breast, chicken thighs, wings, cake, steamed veggies, eggs, sauces/gravies, shin bones, bone broth, stock, steamed shrimp, shrimp balls, cheesecake, venison meatloaf, goose, venison loin, pork loin, rice, pilaf, polenta, tamales, perogies, steamed corn, yogurt, and whatever..... I've done more that that since I use it once or twice a week.

(Takes a breath, I've used it a lot.)

Yes, If you like to cook or feel time crunched when you cook, you want this. I have never used my rice cooker, slow cooker, etc., since I've had this item and I'm not an early-adopter on tech.

My advice: buy it.
    Well, I didn't buy it, but I yearned for it and Nova got it for me for Christmas. I'm excited about that. However, I'm also a bit intimidated. Does it come with a recipe book or do I need to get one?
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Well, I didn't buy it, but I yearned for it and Nova got it for me for Christmas. I'm excited about that. However, I'm also a bit intimidated. Does it come with a recipe book or do I need to get one?
    It's almost May!!! You haven't used it yet???
    Okay.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:53 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    It's almost May!!! You haven't used it yet???
    She can't figure out how to get it to boil water which is the sum total of her cooking expertise.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
    May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
    And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
    May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
    May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
    -Seth Peterson

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go here. You can do it all online. Many references, I love The Kichen.

I have bought the paper recommended 'Hip Pressure Cooking' book but don't do it - the website is way better. I wasted my money on that.

You are at sea level so all times will work - no math. At first, I was like - will I ruin $12 bucks of meat doing this? Not ever.

Not ever - it's that's good.

I had to do math at my altitude for rice but this would not be an issue for you. Have you done the steel-cut oats?
    Last edited by Gingersnap; Monday, April 24th, 2017 at 9:34 PM.

6. Thanks Celeste Chalfonte thanked for this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Go here. You can do it all online. Many references, I love The Kichen.

I have bought the paper recommended 'Hip Pressure Cooking' book but don't do it - the website is way better. I wasted my money on that.

You are at sea level so all times will work - no math. At first, I was like - will I ruin $12 bucks of meat doing this? Not ever.

Not ever - it's that's good.

I had to do math at my altitude for rice but this would not be an issue for you. Have you done the steel-cut oats?
    Only the old-fashioned way. Seriously, I looked at the package and decided I need an entire unscheduled weekend to get to know it first.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only the old-fashioned way. Seriously, I looked at the package and decided I need an entire unscheduled weekend to get to know it first.
    Don't blush....this has happened to me many times and I'm considered quite the cook. Nothing wrong with thinking things out.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    After some thought, I think you should try the steel-cut oats or Irish oats first since you like them.

Use this recipe. I would not eat human horse mash on a bet but I used this recipe to cheerfully feed a couple of other people on a ski thing (yes, I took my Instant Pot skiing). They raved about it so I guess it's okay (the honey, fresh blueberries, and almond slivers probably didn't hurt).

Last Online
    Today @ 6:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great place for recipes: http://instantpot.com/recipes/

Last Online
    Today @ 6:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have one and I love it.

I purchased it during Amazon Prime day last year and it sat unused up until late March. Change is hard. I've used it several times since then.