Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: My Official Instant Pot Review

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    2nd time making spareribs in the IP. Fall off the bone delicious. I used a dry rub for the IP cooking, then put a barbecue sauce on top and broiled for 5 minutes to finish them. Excellent.
    It is a surprisingly great way to make ribs. I've spent hours with a smoker to make ribs and they are excellent but the lack of fuss and easy clean up with the IP can't be beat (for me, anyway).
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the easy clean up is a plus. Today i bought throway aluminum pans..more winning.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    2nd time making spareribs in the IP. Fall off the bone delicious. I used a dry rub for the IP cooking, then put a barbecue sauce on top and broiled for 5 minutes to finish them. Excellent.
    That works really well and we're doing that tomorrow when we have friends over. We were considering using the sous vide for ribs at some point. 12-24 hours and supposed to be really good. Has anyone tried that? I wonder how it compares to IP.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did you cook them? How long, what settings, active or passive pressure release?
    If it pays, it stays

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cooked for 35 minutes on the default setting. Natural release for about 15 minutes, then hit quick release. Used about 1 3/4 cups of water with TB of vinegar in the pot.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

6. Thanks Frostbit thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    How did you cook them? How long, what settings, active or passive pressure release?
    Philly will chime in here but I've made ribs in the IP many times.

How long it will take depends on the kind of ribs and your altitude. You can probably use standard times. Keep in mind that you have to add some time for the IP compared to a conventional pressure cooker because the IP doesn't reach as high a pressure.

Most people seem to use 25 minutes on 'high' for baby back ribs with a cup of broth or water. You will need a longer cook time for spare ribs - maybe 30% longer. It also depends on your preferred level of toothiness. Longer is fall-off-the-bone tender. In fact, mine usually slip the bone when I transfer them to a pan for broiling unless I'm careful. Other people think that sort of thing is heresy and prefer a more solid texture.

I use natural release for 15 minutes while I set up the broiler and get my sauce and pan ready. Then I do a quick release.

Honestly, don't sweat the timing. Nothing disastrous is going happen if you go 45 minutes or leave them on 'keep warm' for an hour. You can under cook ribs but if they are too stiff and not tender, just shove them back in and do another 10 minutes.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

8. Thanks Tom Servo, Frostbit thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    We do 25 min then 10-20 minutes NR. We put cider vinegar and liquid smoke along with a cup of water into the IP and have the ribs (usually 2 racks) on a trivet above them.

10. Thanks Frostbit thanked for this post