Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Gorsuch's first written opinion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    15,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Gorsuch's first written opinion

    “White people were, and are, astounded by the holocaust in Germany. They did not know that they could act that way. But I very much doubt whether black people were astounded ..."

    ~ James Baldwin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Flyover Country
    Posts
    5,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    From what I read in the Opinion, the ruling appears to be correct to the law and Congress needs to revisit the law and include companies that purchase defaulted debt in the same manner as companies hired to collect defaulted debt for the benefit of the loan originator.

    To add, based on this case...
    IMO, any new law should place more restrictions on defaulted debt purchasers than debt collection agencies.
    If they are buying the debt, they are buying at a discount of the debt from the originator and assuming the risk of not collecting some or all or a debt.
    We are so fucked.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    15,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    From what I read in the Opinion, the ruling appears to be correct to the law and Congress needs to revisit the law and include companies that purchase defaulted debt in the same manner as companies hired to collect defaulted debt for the benefit of the loan originator.

    To add, based on this case...
    IMO, any new law should place more restrictions on defaulted debt purchasers than debt collection agencies.
    If they are buying the debt, they are buying at a discount of the debt from the originator and assuming the risk of not collecting some or all or a debt.

    I understand it was a bit of a gimme for his first (I think all the decisions released today were either unanimous or per curiam) but I liked how compact and straight forward the writing was. I think he unnecessarily opined a tad but it was his first so let him have a bit of fun.
    “White people were, and are, astounded by the holocaust in Germany. They did not know that they could act that way. But I very much doubt whether black people were astounded ..."

    ~ James Baldwin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Flyover Country
    Posts
    5,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    I understand it was a bit of a gimme for his first (I think all the decisions released today were either unanimous or per curiam) but I liked how compact and straight forward the writing was. I think he unnecessarily opined a tad but it was his first so let him have a bit of fun.
    "Congress fucked up when they wrote it, take it up with them", while more to the point, would be considered a bit crass.
    I do agree that at 13 pages, it was still shorter than most I have read. OTOH, even without legal training, the decision was concise and literate at a non-lawyer level.

    Could this be the start of USSC opinions that most common, educated people can understand?
    We are so fucked.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    15,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    "Congress fucked up when they wrote it, take it up with them", while more to the point, would be considered a bit crass.
    Perfect distillation!

    We should come up with a game. Distill that Opinion! It would be like Name that Tune but only with words.

    "Bush v Gore"

    "I can distill that opinion to 10 words."

    "I can distill that opinion to 9 words."

    "I can distill that opinion to 7 words."

    "Distill that opinion."

    "Time's up! Turn in what you have!"
    “White people were, and are, astounded by the holocaust in Germany. They did not know that they could act that way. But I very much doubt whether black people were astounded ..."

    ~ James Baldwin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •