Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I found this in a facebook discussion...

Last Online
    Today @ 4:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    And now the 13th Doctor is a woman. What is the world coming to?

"What we have is something that is very, very, incredibly well-crafted."
    -President Donald J. Trump

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    And The Doctor's last companion was a black lesbian named Bill.

"The fundamental driver of Western civilization is the agreement that objective reality exists, that people of goodwill can perceive it and that other people will change their views when presented with the facts of the matter."

~ From Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom by Thomas E. Ricks

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    And The Doctor's last companion was a black lesbian named Bill.
    It's lucky for you 2 that I'm not a moderator. Knowing that much about Dr. Who would be a banning offense.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

4. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:17 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sheesh. First the Doctor becomes a woman, then we hear George Romero died. The nerdisphere must be shambles.

I figured this would be the year for the Doctor to finally be a woman. Steven Moffat was basically setting it up over the last several years with hints dropped here and there.

Some of the rabble-rousers are already up in arms not that it's woman, but a "thin, culturally Western notion of beauty white woman." I imagine a petition is already being drafted for the 14th to be a gender non-binary pansexual Muslim person of color.
    “What if soy milk is just introducing itself in Spanish?” ~ El Arroyo, Austin

6. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Sheesh. First the Doctor becomes a woman, then we hear George Romero died. The nerdisphere must be shambles.

I figured this would be the year for the Doctor to finally be a woman. Steven Moffat was basically setting it up over the last several years with hints dropped here and there.

Some of the rabble-rousers are already up in arms not that it's woman, but a "thin, culturally Western notion of beauty white woman." I imagine a petition is already being drafted for the 14th to be a gender non-binary pansexual Muslim person of color.
    Obama looking for a job already?
    Expose the D.C. monster for what it is
    Al Franken / Jill Stein 2020.

8. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    It's lucky for you 2 that I'm not a moderator. Knowing that much about Dr. Who would be a banning offense.
    That is a good thing. At Dallas ComicCon this year, I cosplayed the 12th Doctor.

"The fundamental driver of Western civilization is the agreement that objective reality exists, that people of goodwill can perceive it and that other people will change their views when presented with the facts of the matter."

Last Online
    Today @ 4:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    That is a good thing. At Dallas ComicCon this year, I cosplayed the 12th Doctor.
    I've been to three Doctor Who conventions this year and am currently on a Doctor Who cruise.

I cosplay 7 to Jody's Ace.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

11. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Djharkavy View Post
    I've been to three Doctor Who conventions this year and am currently on a Doctor Who cruise.

I cosplay 7 to Jody's Ace.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    That is cool!

I tried to get the wife to do Missy but we ran out of time. It took her a long while to make my Crombie coat.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:20 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Do you really want those asylums back with all the maltreatment and abuse? Those were no better than what we have now.
    It shouldn't be one extreme or the other and we shouldn't have a right to be crazy.

They will not lock somebody up against their will unless they've proven to be a danger to themselves or society. Even then, they'll keep the person for around 10 days. Ten is the magic number in their minds. Then, if they're still dangerous, you have to nag the hospital to take them back.

But let's say one isn't proven to be a danger. Well, they can end up homeless. Mental illness is a top reason for homelessness, so when I hear somebody say "Just get a job," I want to scream at that person how ignorant they are. I understand there's drug addiction and you have to want help for that one. Some people are truly in LaLa land. They need help.

I understand they used to throw people into mental institutions for epilepsy, homosexuality, etc. Okay, that was wrong. We can find a middle ground.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:20 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    After reading all the posts since my last one, I concede that the current situation does not rest solely with Republicans in general and not with Republican governors in particular. I stand corrected.

I'm not sure what can be done to fix the situation today, and I'm 99.9% sure that no one in the mental health community is going to want to "treat" people with gender identity disorders at this point, since I know that is what 80z was thinking of when he posted that FB quote.

It's pretty much a lock that with tight state budgets and an emphasis on smaller government (sometimes) that governors these days would not want to re-fund new era mental health institutions, so I'm not sure what could be done to alleviate the issue at this point.

Finally, one of the most fun days I had breaking the law was exploring the old Bryce Mental Hospital in Tuscaloosa with a friend during one sunny afternoon. It was both haunting and beautifully decrepit at the same time.

There's a push in the field of psychology to see things a certain way, but not all psychologists necessarily see it that way. I wouldn't support locking anybody up for gender identity disorder. I might be open to state funding, but I'd want to make sure the other issues were treated (depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar) before we got to that.