Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana Shortage Prompts Emergency In Nevada; Tax Officials Weigh Changes

Last Online
    Today @ 4:08 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Marijuana Shortage Prompts Emergency In Nevada; Tax Officials Weigh Changes

Marijuana Shortage Prompts Emergency In Nevada; Tax Officials Weigh Changes

Sales of recreational marijuana have blown past expectations in Nevada, threatening to leave some dispensaries with empty shelves. After Gov. Brian Sandoval endorsed a statement of emergency in the first week of legal sales, regulators are looking to bolster the supply chain.

The Nevada Tax Commission is meeting Thursday to determine whether the state has enough wholesale marijuana distributors; it could also adopt emergency regulations.

"Right now, only companies that are also licensed to distribute liquor in Nevada are able to bring marijuana to dispensaries," Nevada Public Radio's Casey Morell reports for NPR's Newscast unit. "The dispensaries say that's why they're running out of the drug."
    One thing I never expected to see: A government-declared emergency over a shortage of weed.

From the office of the Governor of the State of Nevada:
    Aw, shit it's fuckin' dry man. I called all over. Are you holdin'?

"What we have is something that is very, very, incredibly well-crafted."
    -President Donald J. Trump

2. Likes Gingersnap, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    One thing I never expected to see: A government-declared emergency over a shortage of weed.

From the office of the Governor of the State of Nevada:
    Aw, shit it's fuckin' dry man. I called all over. Are you holdin'?
    Quite funny indeed.

However notice the primary concern of the government here - the standards they set are cutting into their expected tax revenue. That should tell you something about the motivations of government. Why is the state forcing a universal standard anyway? Wouldn't the principle of subsidiarity guide us to let local governments decide?
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 @ 11:56 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Quite funny indeed.

However notice the primary concern of the government here - the standards they set are cutting into their expected tax revenue. That should tell you something about the motivations of government. Why is the state forcing a universal standard anyway? Wouldn't the principle of subsidiarity guide us to let local governments decide?
    Wait, there are weed standards? Like what? Buzz levels? Munchie issues? Bud versus seeds and stems?
    We have THC/CBD notification standards but.......

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Wait, there are weed standards? Like what? Buzz levels? Munchie issues? Bud versus seeds and stems?
    We have THC/CBD notification standards but.......

Licensing standards. Currently in Nevada only those licensed to sell liquor are able to supply dispensaries.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite funny indeed.

I wouldn't have a problem with local controls. But I can see why the state wants to maintain control, if you're just looking for an explanation. The answer is that it is taxed by the state. One of their requirements is that distributors can demonstrate inventory control standards to some level of satisfaction. Without inventory controls, the state cannot ensure that all of the product getting sold is getting taxed. And they want their taxes.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Licensing standards. Currently in Nevada only those licensed to sell liquor are able to supply dispensaries.
    Really. No liquor stores can sell weed out here. Completely separate. Interesting.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Really. No liquor stores can sell weed out here. Completely separate. Interesting.
    In Nevada it's the liquor wholesalers who get licensed to distribute weed at the wholesale level. I think the retail dispensaries are separate from liquor stores.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Nevada it's the liquor wholesalers who get licensed to distribute weed at the wholesale level. I think the retail dispensaries are separate from liquor stores.
    The liquor lobby violently opposed legal weed here (obviously). Liquor and weed are completely separate, have completely different employment/licensing, completely different zoning, etc.

We still have as many weed stores as liquor stores. Nobody cares, really.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't have a problem with local controls. But I can see why the state wants to maintain control, if you're just looking for an explanation. The answer is that it is taxed by the state. One of their requirements is that distributors can demonstrate inventory control standards to some level of satisfaction. Without inventory controls, the state cannot ensure that all of the product getting sold is getting taxed. And they want their taxes.
    Are licensed liquor dealers the only ones who can demonstrate inventory controls? That seems like a very arbitrary and ineffective policy.

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are licensed liquor dealers the only ones who can demonstrate inventory controls? That seems like a very arbitrary and ineffective policy.
    I would think tobacco distributors have similar requirements. But mostly, I don't speak for Nevada. I don't live in Nevada. I don't care what you think about Nevada. Does that answer your questions?