Thread: Couple attempts the 'Dirty Dancing' lift, ends up hospitalized.

Last Online
    Today @ 9:51 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple attempts the 'Dirty Dancing' lift, ends up hospitalized.

One couple definitely did not have the time of their lives while recently attempting to pull off Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze's iconic lift from the 1987 classic Dirty Dancing.

After watching the flick over 30 times, bride-to-be Sharon Price, 52, and her fiancÚ Andy Price, 51, from England, decided they wanted to recreate the move during their first dance at their upcoming nuptials. But they soon discovered that it's not quite as easy as Jennifer and Patrick made it look.
    http://www.wxii12.com/article/middle...-move/10309415

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I shouldn't laugh, but...

I'm also like

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously neither of them owns a mirror.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

4. Likes Lanie, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 3:19 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Obviously neither of them owns a mirror.
    Really. They should have stuck with dismounts from balance beams.

(I got a personal, bruising lesson some years ago that old fogeys don't belong on snowboards. But that's another story....)

Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somehow I missed this last week.

Good Lord. Swayze was an actual trained dancer and 35 years old (arguably a touch too old to be doing lifts). Jennifer Grey weighed like 115 at that time. She refused to practice the iconic lift due to fear. What we see in the film is the only take she did on camera and the only lift she did aside from their audition.

Why two hefty middle-aged people thought they could pull this off with zero training is beyond me.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Why two hefty middle-aged people thought they could pull this off with zero training is beyond me.
    Wedding bliss incapacity.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Somehow I missed this last week.

Good Lord. Swayze was an actual trained dancer and 35 years old (arguably a touch too old to be doing lifts). Jennifer Grey weighed like 115 at that time. She refused to practice the iconic lift due to fear. What we see in the film is the only take she did on camera and the only lift she did aside from their audition.

I feel pretty certain that there was more than just a little bit of alcohol involved here.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

9. Likes Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I feel pretty certain that there was more than just a little bit of alcohol involved here.
    I think we have a winner here.

Even though I weigh the same, I would never in a million years expect Mr. Snaps to cart me over the threshold at this point, let alone do some fancy dance lift. Heck, I'd be way more fearful than he would. I've seen him lift huge logs but there is no way I'd let him lift me over his head - ever.

Heck, I wouldn't have let him do that in our twenties.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back in my dancing days I frequently had to be lifted. It was always scary. Mostly, I was lifted by a young man who was my peer. He never dropped me, but that didn't make it any less scary. But once, when I was about twelve, a young man about 22 had to lift me for the first time during a rehearsal. I weighed maybe 80 pounds. He dropped me. Not on my head or anything, but I can still remember the fear and the feel of his belt buckle jabbing me in the back as I fell down. It got worse, though. The head master, who was about 60 years old, was furious with him. He laid into him about how stupid, pathetic and weak he was and how tiny I was and how could he possibly have dropped me...and then to prove the point, he made me get back into my arabesque and lift me himself. I will never ever forget that. Lots of fear. He probably hadn't lifted a dancer in at least a decade. But, to his point, he did a better job than the 22 year old. It still was terrifying. I had to do that lift probably 20 times before the actual show. It sucked Every. Single. Time. But he never dropped me again. I absolutely hated that part of the dance and was glad when the final show was over.
    Okay.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    No, I think they were actually wanting to do this for their wedding because they do like to dance. Good thing they did it ahead of time and got the hospital visit out of the way.