Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Chicago

The niece and I are going to Chicago this coming weekend for a long weekend. Any must sees/must dos that you all think we should do? This year I decided to put her a bit more in charge. When she asked where we were going and I threw out a couple of options, I realized that where I want to go is not necessarily where she wants to go, so I decided to make her responsible for some of it. I came up with Chicago because she likes to go to cities (as opposed to Maine and Nashville, which apparently I keep throwing out to her). When I mentioned Chicago she liked it. I'm super busy with work right now, so I told her she needs to come up with an itinerary. When I asked how she was coming along she responded with "that's a lot of work!"...well, duh, does she think these things just happen?

I like an itinerary because I don't like to waste time in a new place trying to figure out what to do. Part of the fun, for me, is learning about the place before I get there and trying to see all I can while I'm there. Since I don't have a lot of time to spend on vacation, I like to use it wisely. None of this lounging at the pool stuff. I like to go go go!

So far, so good...she picked a great architectural tour by boat. We might go see a show and will definitely do some shopping at the Magnificent Mile (she is 16, so I can't really deny her that!)
    Okay.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nighthawks

A must.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Nighthawks

A must.
    I told her to put a museum on the itinerary, and the Art Institute was the one I was thinking of. Thanks for the reminder.
    Okay.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    The niece and I are going to Chicago this coming weekend for a long weekend. Any must sees/must dos that you all think we should do? This year I decided to put her a bit more in charge. When she asked where we were going and I threw out a couple of options, I realized that where I want to go is not necessarily where she wants to go, so I decided to make her responsible for some of it. I came up with Chicago because she likes to go to cities (as opposed to Maine and Nashville, which apparently I keep throwing out to her). When I mentioned Chicago she liked it. I'm super busy with work right now, so I told her she needs to come up with an itinerary. When I asked how she was coming along she responded with "that's a lot of work!"...well, duh, does she think these things just happen?

I like an itinerary because I don't like to waste time in a new place trying to figure out what to do. Part of the fun, for me, is learning about the place before I get there and trying to see all I can while I'm there. Since I don't have a lot of time to spend on vacation, I like to use it wisely. None of this lounging at the pool stuff. I like to go go go!

So far, so good...she picked a great architectural tour by boat. We might go see a show and will definitely do some shopping at the Magnificent Mile (she is 16, so I can't really deny her that!)
    Chicago in July? I've only been in the airport myself, but based on reports from people I know who have lived there, I'd suggest taking an air-conditioned taxi from your air-conditioned hotel to an air-conditioned museum and stay there all day.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Chicago in July? I've only been in the airport myself, but based on reports from people I know who have lived there, I'd suggest taking an air-conditioned taxi from your air-conditioned hotel to an air-conditioned museum and stay there all day.
    It's pretty much hot everywhere in July, so I'm not worried. It's not like it's cool in Philly! Unfortunately, August is my usual month for vacation and the girl likes cities. We went to Savannah and Charleston last august. We've done NYC in August, as well as Miami, San Antonio, Niagara, St. Thomas, West Virginia, etc. It's always hot. Such is life. There will be time to spend in stores, museums, etc.

I just came back from Richmond, and trust me, it was hot. I did my workout at 6:30a.m....Saturday I was on the Eastern Shore and did my workout at 9:00 p.m...it was only 86 degrees then!
    Okay.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Architectural tour?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.
    Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy.
    Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:49 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Museum of Science and Industry.

I love museums.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Its the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

8. Likes phillygirl liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Architectural tour?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    On the list...she found an architectural tour via boat that I've heard was really amazing!

She just texted to see if I would want to see Alladin or Something's Rotten. I asked if she knew what Something's Rotten was about and she said it takes place in the 1500's about some writers who are writing a musical and it's supposed to be funny. Ummm..some writers?? As in Shakespeare!

Oh, brother, I've failed as an aunt. That answer alone made me pick that one (although that's the one I'd rather see anyway). I thought about Hamilton, but not at $400 a ticket. I'll try to see it when it comes to Philly.
    Okay.

10. Likes Michele liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Museum of Science and Industry.

I love museums.

Mark
    I know I can only get her to one museum, so for me, it's between this one and the Art Museum. I'll see what she picks. She might like this one because of her new found interest in being a biomedical engineer.
    Okay.

12. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Sunday, September 24th, 2017 @ 6:44 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    It's pretty much hot everywhere in July
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
    May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
    And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
    May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
    May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
    -Seth Peterson