Thread: Obesity becomes worldwide epidemic

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Obesity becomes worldwide epidemic

and of course the U.S. is the fattest. I think "worldwide" should have been in quotes, even in this Washington Examiner headline I saw on Drudge.
    Life threatening obesity has become a worldwide epidemic, with 711 million overweight around the globe led by French fry loving Americans.

A detailed report in the latest New England Journal of Medicine is winning alarmed attention in Washington because it finds that American children and adults are leading the obesity parade.
    I had three quick reactions to this.

First, there are any number of interesting "worldwide" venues for the next convention of the Alarmed, including Venezuela, whose people have been shedding a lot of weight lately, or countries like Nigeria, Somalia and Yemen which are already far ahead of Venezuela in the anti-obesity struggle.

Second, the stupid application of "worldwide" (see preceding paragraph) to this Alarm smacks of politics, not just that here's yet something else in which America leads the parade of horribles, but an escalation of a problem to the status of calamitous threat to humanity "worldwide" for purposes of driving political remedies. I could snark about the recent frustration of Alarmed Washingtonians who grieved the passing of Michelle's school lunch regimen -- I think it's now the 10th ring of Dante's Inferno -- but I would never do that.

But third and mostly, here, likely for the first time since early hominids first tried standing upright, we have a "worldwide" problem of OBESITY. I'm a helluva lot more impressed than alarmed.

To whom do we owe thanks for this curse?

2. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    and of course the U.S. is the fattest. I think "worldwide" should have been in quotes, even in this Washington Examiner headline I saw on Drudge.

First, there are any number of interesting "worldwide" venues for the next convention of the Alarmed, including Venezuela, whose people have been shedding a lot of weight lately, or countries like Nigeria, Somalia and Yemen which are already far ahead of Venezuela in the anti-obesity struggle.

Second, the stupid application of "worldwide" (see preceding paragraph) to this Alarm smacks of politics, not just that here's yet something else in which America leads the parade of horribles, but an escalation of a problem to the status of calamitous threat to humanity "worldwide" for purposes of driving political remedies. I could snark about the recent frustration of Alarmed Washingtonians who grieved the passing of Michelle's school lunch regimen -- I think it's now the 10th ring of Dante's Inferno -- but I would never do that.

But third and mostly, here, likely for the first time since early hominids first tried standing upright, we have a "worldwide" problem of OBESITY. I'm a helluva lot more impressed than alarmed.

American taxpayers and do-gooder charities of course! Must be giving away totally enough food!
    Michelle's lunches are not gone. Must sneak in salt. Steal the little packets in McDonald's to sneak in. Shhhhhhhh. Those in charge must not know such dangerous substance abuse is occurring.

Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 4:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big sugar, obviously.

Mexico will be disappointed; last time around they were #1 in obesity for a change. I guess they have some more catching up to do with their northern neighbors.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; Thursday, July 27th, 2017 at 2:52 AM. Reason: added linky
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, and not screaming like the passengers in his car.

5. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Big sugar, obviously.
    The soda tax fails again.

Cook County Board repeals soda tax
    A 15-2 vote cemented the fate of the county’s controversial soda tax.

The Cook County Board of Commissioners on Wednesday repealed the penny-an-ounce levy on sweetened beverages it passed last November.

The final action comes after a similar vote Tuesday in the board’s Finance Committee.

That vote came after nearly five hours of public comment — featuring Cook County Clerk David Orr, Clerk of the Circuit Court Dorothy Brown and Public Defender Amy Campanelli. Under the ordinance, the tax would remain in effect until the start of the new county fiscal year on Dec. 1.

Wednesday’s meeting was shorter, with fewer people signing up to speak. Only two “no” votes were cast — one from Larry Suffredin (D-Evanston), who also voted against a repeal during the Tuesday session, and the other from Jerry “Iceman” Butler (D-Chicago).
    Illinois has some serious budget problems, so one might imagine this tax would have more staying power.

Illinois is struggling to dig out of the nation's worst budget crisis
    Illinois is chasing a moving target as it tries to dig out of the nation's worst budget crisis, and a review obtained by The Associated Press shows $7.5 billion worth of unpaid bills — as much as half the total — hadn't been sent to the official who writes the checks by the end of June.

Although many of those IOUs have since been paid, a similar amount in unprocessed bills has replaced them in the last three months, Comptroller Susana Mendoza's office said Monday. That's in addition to $9 billion worth of checks that are at the office but being delayed because the state lacks the money to pay them.

The mound of past-due bills tripled over the two years Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democrats who control the General Assembly were locked in a budget stalemate, which ended in July when lawmakers hiked income taxes over Rauner's vetoes.
    They're floating checks already.

Thomas Lifson paints this as a populist rebuke:

The Progressive Machine Takes a Big Hit in Cook Country, Illinois
    This isn’t just about people who guzzle Coke and Pepsi, it is about the progressive racket that follows a battle plan aimed at the state controlling more and more aspects of citizens’ lives, while it consumes more and more of their income. Here, in essence, is the recipe that progs have used to grab power over the rest of us:

1. Declare a problem that urgently needs to be solved. In the soda tax case, the problem is the “obesity epidemic” (an expression that invokes a public health rationale for exerting extraordinary controls that otherwise would be unconstitutional – think, quarantining, for instance).

2. Gin up “studies” that cast blame on a convenient target, which is then demonized as “greedy” or “uncaring” or some other quality that progs imagine they alone lack.

3. As the target becomes unpopular thanks to the propaganda campaign, move to implement a tax that is justified as punishing the evildoers, while guiding the rest of us into behavior that supposedly will solve the problem.
    So is the soda tax the fat canary in the mine?

Bloomberg Fails Again With Soda Tax Repeal in Cook County

Billionaire spent $5 million promoting tax, only got two votes to save it
    ...The vote is the latest in a series of losses for Bloomberg, who has poured millions into anti-soda campaigns.

The former New York City mayor spent at least $5 million on ads supporting the Cook County tax and vowed to spend "whatever it takes" to reelect commissioners who supported it.

Ultimately, only two commissioners voted against the repeal, which ends the tax officially on Dec. 1. The tax will be in effect for just four months.

"This decision shows that consumers and local communities across the country are standing up against onerous taxes with their voices and their votes," said the American Beverage Association, which joined local storeowners in a campaign against the tax. "The Cook County Board's decision makes it clear that momentum is not with politicians who try to use excessive taxes on the everyday beverages that people buy—and local businesses count on—to close budget gaps under the pretense of public health."

Bloomberg spent $1.5 million pushing for a 2-cent per ounce soda tax in Santa Fe, N.M., that also failed. Voters soundly rejected the proposal with record turnout in May.

Attempts to tax sweet drinks in other states have also failed. City council members in St. Helens, Ore., voted unanimously against a soda tax earlier this month.

Philadelphia, the first big city to adopt a soda tax, is facing numerous problems with its implementation. The 1.5-cent per ounce tax makes soda more expensive than beer, has cost jobs, failed to meet revenue projections, and faced court challenges.

Sixty-two percent of Philadelphia voters said they would like to see the soda tax repealed, according to a recent poll.
    It would be nice, but probably not. It's a nice footnote, though.

7. Thanks Tom Servo thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 1:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing Monsanto. You know how evil those people are giving peasants the means to grow cheaper food.

I've read some rather dense epidemiological studies that appear to show that the highest rates of obesity are actually found in the UAE and adjacent countries and among Pacific Islanders. The world's fattest woman who recently died was Egyptian.

While I'm not pro-fatty, it's obvious that this is the first time in history when the average person has more problems with excess calories than with calorie deficits. That's a win for humans in my book.

Like industrial pollution, cultural destruction, and bad fashion - this is apparently a side-effect of modernity. Move out of 5th century lifestyles and discover donuts.