Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suicide texting case sets bad precedent, experts say

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Just a footnote here. Bullies seek out vulnerable people. It's a perverse talent, almost, like being able to detect who has scopolamine in their system already, per Adam's post above.

Predators
    seek out sheep because sheep are really easy to eat. She was an emotional predator which is actually pretty common among a certain subset of adolescent girls (as most former girls know well). This kind of behavior doesn't fit neatly into the "bullying" category because both aggressor and victim often agree that the aggressor is "helping".

Twisted stuff.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post

However, if you come to witness a person in obvious distress from lack of water, I believe it is reasonable to require that you take some action in that person's behalf.
    Too broad and vague. "Some action" could be to give the illegal wandering in the desert a dollar and tell him to go by some water.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Predators
    seek out sheep because sheep are really easy to eat. She was an emotional predator which is actually pretty common among a certain subset of adolescent girls (as most former girls know well). This kind of behavior doesn't fit neatly into the "bullying" category because both aggressor and victim often agree that the aggressor is "helping".

Twisted stuff.

I'm very glad that, for whatever reason, I did not encounter these supposedly common "emotional predators" either in my own adolescence or during HRH's. I might have had to hurt someone. Or, like any other predator, they know better than to show their true selves around anyone who might call them on their behavior.

Of course, everyone has to encounter a few of the soul-sucking manipulators who use the repeated threat of suicide to control others, but learning to disentangle oneself from them is part of growing up.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I'm very glad that, for whatever reason, I did not encounter these supposedly common "emotional predators" either in my own adolescence or during HRH's. I might have had to hurt someone. Or, like any other predator, they know better than to show their true selves around anyone who might call them on their behavior.

Of course, everyone has to encounter a few of the soul-sucking manipulators who use the repeated threat of suicide to control others, but learning to disentangle oneself from them is part of growing up.
    Luckily, neither did I. I have no personal history of being emotionally abused by "friends". I do know women who were and their experiences are awful. I also saw it.

But with the insouciance of youth, I did nothing about it. I didn't rebuke the aggressors nor console the victims. I just avoided being in either group by being in groups that were largely free of that kind of thing. We were not "cool" but we were beyond the radar of the predators.

I'd guess that a lot of kids use that same strategy even today.

Then you grow up and realize that your boss is psychopath.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Luckily, neither did I. I have no personal history of being emotionally abused by "friends". I do know women who were and their experiences are awful. I also saw it.

But with the insouciance of youth, I did nothing about it. I didn't rebuke the aggressors nor console the victims. I just avoided being in either group by being in groups that were largely free of that kind of thing. We were not "cool" but we were beyond the radar of the predators.

I'd guess that a lot of kids use that same strategy even today.

Then you grow up and realize that your boss is psychopath.
    I know these things exist, but I've either been incredibly lucky or incredibly oblivious. The first time I experienced women tearing down (or trying to) another woman was when I became a supervisor. The department director who hired me neglected to mention that 2 of the women in the unit had also applied for the job. One of them never stopped hating me, while the other came around to where we got along quite well, but I have been documenting my decisions since the day I fired my first employee.* I had copies of everything, and the hater learned quickly that sabotage wouldn't work. She didn't stop hating, but she kept it to herself.

*I was 19. She was 16 and the owner's niece. It was a safety issue. She got rehired, given a lecture, and dumped on somebody else to manage. I got a new employee who did the job.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I know these things exist, but I've either been incredibly lucky or incredibly oblivious. The first time I experienced women tearing down (or trying to) another woman was when I became a supervisor. The department director who hired me neglected to mention that 2 of the women in the unit had also applied for the job. One of them never stopped hating me, while the other came around to where we got along quite well, but I have been documenting my decisions since the day I fired my first employee.* I had copies of everything, and the hater learned quickly that sabotage wouldn't work. She didn't stop hating, but she kept it to herself.

*I was 19. She was 16 and the owner's niece. It was a safety issue. She got rehired, given a lecture, and dumped on somebody else to manage. I got a new employee who did the job.
    I think my own experience has been formed both by luck and by being socially oblivious. Or maybe just by being socially indifferent to this stuff. But most women do take it all to heart.

Like you, it was a female employee that taught me to worship at the throne of relentless documentation although that skill proved to be highly valuable in any situation throughout my career.

Long ago, I came to the conclusion that toxic private relationships just need to be terminated and toxic work relationships need to be aggressively managed.

Last Online
    Today @ 8:47 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    toxic work relationships need to be aggressively managed.
    Love being able to manage a "Toxic work situation" by................................... quitting.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Love being able to manage a "Toxic work situation" by................................... quitting.
    A lot of people don't have that option but there are things they can do to make themselves less attractive targets.

It takes time. Sadly.