Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California Crops Rot as Immigration Crackdown Creates Farmworker Shortage

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    No doubt, shrimping is hard work. I'd rather work a shrimp boat or fishing boat in the Gulf than a salmon or herring boat in Alaska, though. At least if you fall overboard in the Gulf, you survive long enough to try to get back onboard or swim to safety.
    Same here...though I prefer to never go near a boat like that, period.

The water around the San Juan Islands is about 50 degrees in the summer. The saying goes that you have a 50-50 chance of surviving 50 minutes in 50 degree water. All I know is when anyone would ask me to go kayaking around some of the smaller islands, I always politely declined. Plus, seals...ugh, they're everywhere up there.
    13. “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”
    Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy.
    Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Back in the day, minimum wages did not apply to agricultural workers. I don't know if they are still exempt today or not. However, even if the farmers had to pay 10 bucks or ore an hour to get the work done, America would still be better off paying more for their groceries than bringing in immigrants to do our work for us.
    No shit, Sherlock. Why do you think the agribusinesses started bringing in illegal workers? Because with greater mobility and more options, farmworkers left the farms in droves. Who wants to work for sub-minimum wage?
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Same here...though I prefer to never go near a boat like that, period.

The water around the San Juan Islands is about 50 degrees in the summer. The saying goes that you have a 50-50 chance of surviving 50 minutes in 50 degree water. All I know is when anyone would ask me to go kayaking around some of the smaller islands, I always politely declined. Plus, seals...ugh, they're everywhere up there.
    Do they bump the boat? I was horrified to learn about sturgeon in the rivers in Florida. Where I have canoed or kayaked, there were no hazards bigger than snapping turtles.
    Last edited by Celeste Chalfonte; Saturday, August 12th, 2017 at 5:40 PM.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:56 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    No shit, Sherlock. Why do you think the agribusinesses started bringing in illegal workers? Because with greater mobility and more options, farmworkers left the farms in droves. Who wants to work for sub-minimum wage?
    Even with greater mobility and more options, there was not 100% employed youth. As a youngster, you took what you could get, or at least I did.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do they bump the boat? I was horrified to learn about sturgeon in the rivers in Florida. Where I have canoed or kayaked, there were no hazards bigger than snapping turtles.
    They not only bump your kayak but go nuts if there are salmon around it. I'm not a fan of them if they're in the area.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    They not only bump your kayak but go nuts if there are salmon around it. I'm not a fan of them if they're in the area.
    When I was helping with sailing school once some dolphins wandered over and bumped a couple of the school boats. The kids didn't know whether to be thrilled or terrified. HRH, of course, was thrilled, but we're pretty sure she wasn't in the boat that got bumped. OTOH, the water there was about 87 degrees and a couple of armstrokes would've brought even the munchkin child to where she could walk back to the beach.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was helping with sailing school once some dolphins wandered over and bumped a couple of the school boats. The kids didn't know whether to be thrilled or terrified. HRH, of course, was thrilled, but we're pretty sure she wasn't in the boat that got bumped. OTOH, the water there was about 87 degrees and a couple of armstrokes would've brought even the munchkin child to where she could walk back to the beach.
    A good friend of mine lost her boyfriend when he was out kayaking by himself around the small island of Sucia. Now this is a great trip but you don't go sea kayaking by yourself. They never figured out exactly how he got in the water but they knew why he never got out of it.

For the most part, I like animals in the wild at a distance. On one of our boat trips through the straits, my husband told me to go to the bow, look down a bit and just wait. After a few seconds, harbor porpoises started jumping as if leading the boat. My husband had seen them schooling and knew if you got close to them, they would run with you. So cool...little one would love it.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good friend of mine lost her boyfriend when he was out kayaking by himself around the small island of Sucia. Now this is a great trip but you don't go sea kayaking by yourself. They never figured out exactly how he got in the water but they knew why he never got out of it.

For the most part, I like animals in the wild at a distance. On one of our boat trips through the straits, my husband told me to go to the bow, look down a bit and just wait. After a few seconds, harbor porpoises started jumping as if leading the boat. My husband had seen them schooling and knew if you got close to them, they would run with you. So cool...little one would love it.
    I've lived on the water all my life. I swam before I can remember, and I remember clearly back to about 3, with several clear memories going back to before my sister was born, so I was no older than 2 and a half. Until I was 15 and we moved up near DC, we always had a boat, and we all learned how to run it. Not talking a jon boat here; the first boat I ran was a Chesapeake Bay oyster boat my dad had converted to pleasure-boat use, about like this, a wooden hull , but with maybe a little less freeboard:

Had to stand on a box to see where I was in the channel. I think I was 5.

Nonetheless, as much as I love the water, I also have a healthy respect for it. I never swim alone. I never boat alone, especially in small craft. I never drink on a boat, even if someone else is operating it. All kids wear lifejackets, and all adults at the very least have one within arm's reach. Sad things like what happened to your friend's boyfriend can happen to anyone, and I'd prefer not to be that anyone.

We did the boat cruise to Ft. Sumter some years ago, and HRH had not been on a large boat before. I almost didn't get her to board, but as soon as we were underway, she was hooked for life. We ended up in the bow, watching the porpoises. It was magical!

She has taken the "Duck" from Sausalito to SF and back (I haven't done it yet, but I will) and loved it. Has no interest in sailing in the SF Bay, though. The idea of 54-degree water makes her turn blue just to think about it.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Even with greater mobility and more options, there was not 100% employed youth. As a youngster, you took what you could get, or at least I did.

Mark
    Times have changed. Kids get paid good tax dollars to essentially do nothing. https://does.dc.gov/service/mayor-ma...oyment-program
    Note the program linked to is the legacy of a drug-addict felon mayor. What does that teach teenagers?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've lived on the water all my life. I swam before I can remember, and I remember clearly back to about 3, with several clear memories going back to before my sister was born, so I was no older than 2 and a half. Until I was 15 and we moved up near DC, we always had a boat, and we all learned how to run it. Not talking a jon boat here; the first boat I ran was a Chesapeake Bay oyster boat my dad had converted to pleasure-boat use, about like this, a wooden hull , but with maybe a little less freeboard:

Had to stand on a box to see where I was in the channel. I think I was 5.

Nonetheless, as much as I love the water, I also have a healthy respect for it. I never swim alone. I never boat alone, especially in small craft. I never drink on a boat, even if someone else is operating it. All kids wear lifejackets, and all adults at the very least have one within arm's reach. Sad things like what happened to your friend's boyfriend can happen to anyone, and I'd prefer not to be that anyone.

We did the boat cruise to Ft. Sumter some years ago, and HRH had not been on a large boat before. I almost didn't get her to board, but as soon as we were underway, she was hooked for life. We ended up in the bow, watching the porpoises. It was magical!

She has taken the "Duck" from Sausalito to SF and back (I haven't done it yet, but I will) and loved it. Has no interest in sailing in the SF Bay, though. The idea of 54-degree water makes her turn blue just to think about it.
    Well well. Playing on boats goes a long way toward getting crops picked in California or anywhere. Obviously the actual thread topic can't be followed.