Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New California law allows jail time for using wrong gender pronoun, ...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

New California law allows jail time for using wrong gender pronoun, ...

... sponsor denies that would happen
    California health care workers who “willfully and repeatedly” decline to use a senior transgender patient's “preferred name or pronouns” could face punishments ranging from a fine to jail time under a newly signed law.

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed the legislation last week.

The sponsor, Democratic state Sen. Scott Wiener, has argued adamantly that nobody is going to be criminally prosecuted for using the wrong pronoun.

“It’s just more scare tactics by people who oppose all LGBT civil rights and protections,” he said in a statement last month.

But the language seemingly allows for the possibility, however remote....
    Heaven help us. Every adult smart enough to dress themselves in the morning knows there are three certainties in this life:
    1. Death,
    2. Taxes, and
    3. If you give the government power, it will be used.

"Weiner's office noted that the law 'does not create any new criminal provisions,' but rather creates 'new rights within an existing structure.' ”

However,
    The law states that if provisions are violated, the violator could be punished by a fine “not to exceed one thousand dollars” or “by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed one year,” or both.
    So Mr. Weiner's office is a liar, for starters, since Mr. Weiner helped write the bill. Had he wanted, he could have included something like, "No person shall be be criminally prosecuted for using the wrong pronoun."

But he didn't.

I may have to amend my statement assuming he could dress himself in the morning.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:30 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone, please give that man a sandwich. He obviously needs it.
    I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pronounced "weaner" or "whiner", sometimes peoples names are just sooooooo appropriate.
    Expose the D.C. monster for what it is
    Al Franken / Jill Stein 2020.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    No relation to the infamous Weiner in a NY jail, I hope. He couldn't keep his clothes on either, however, so there's that.

Anyway, the picture of him in the post above was the first to come up in a Google image search, but when I clicked on it the message came up that it had been taken down and was no longer available for public use, or words close to that.

I had to scrounge around a bit to find it elsewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets shoved down the memory hole sometime. So for the record, it shows a very thin and shirtless Mr. Weiner on a city street (I believe participating in a demonstration or parade of some sort) wearing black jeans, and a loosely tied necktie that appears to be black leather, with a black backpack on.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:22 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    So people are being forced, by law, to lie.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 5:41 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post

Mark
    No, you call everybody "hey you" or "it".

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark
    I guess that's the plan, certainly if you take Ben Shapiro's view.

Which I do, if only because the rabbit warren of PC preferences is an unwinnable maze. It's a version of Calvinball with the English language.

In the short run you can just avoid pronouns. It's sometimes awkward, but no more so than sounding like you're trying to speak before swallowing your food, like you mom always scolded you to do.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I guess that's the plan, certainly if you take Ben Shapiro's view.

Which I do, if only because the rabbit warren of PC preferences is an unwinnable maze. It's a version of Calvinball with the English language.

In the short run you can just avoid pronouns. It's sometimes awkward, but no more so than sounding like you're trying to speak before swallowing your food, like you mom always scolded you to do.
    If you play their game, they'll add more rules. I'm done with the games.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you play their game, they'll add more rules. I'm done with the games.

Mark
    Because euphemisms will not fix anything. And their shelf life as hiders of things is fairly short.

Colored People --> Negroes --> Blacks --> Afro-Americans --> African-Americans --> People of Color --> Colored People.

Yer not allowed to close that circle, of course.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Because euphemisms will not fix anything. And their shelf life as hiders of things is fairly short.

Colored People --> Negroes --> Blacks --> Afro-Americans --> African-Americans --> People of Color --> Colored People.

Yer not allowed to close that circle, of course.
    Those are different descriptions of real people. Having to call a man a woman is not. I won't do it, and I would find it hard to believe any court in America would find you guilty of simply telling the truth.

Mark