Thread: Feinstein, oldest senator at 84, to seek re-election

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Feinstein, oldest senator at 84, to seek re-election

ABC News. I thought she'd retire, but she's been planning for this for quite a while, it appears.
    At 84, Sen. Dianne Feinstein is at an age when many Americans are deep into their retirement years. But the oldest member of the Senate announced Monday that she will seek another term with a ready retort for those who might suggest her best years are behind her.

"Experience counts," the veteran California Democrat said.

The announcement that she would seek a fifth full term was expected and she has been stockpiling campaign dollars for a re-election bid. In recent months, the former San Francisco mayor has shown no signs that she was thinking about stepping aside for another generation.
    (Bold added.)

In a statement, she said the Trump era has seen "democracy challenged in unacceptable ways," from the attempts to roll back national health care for millions of people to attacks on reproductive rights and efforts to slow climate change.

"I cannot and will not step away from this fight," she said. "There's still so much work left to be done."

Feinstein never directly referred to her age but argued her years in the Senate, where seniority carries clout, made her an effective voice for a state that is home to 1 in 8 Americans.

"The ability to get things done counts. And the compassion, vigor, and stamina to make a difference counts," she added, seeming to anticipate questions about her age.

With another six-year term in Washington, Feinstein could be in the Senate into her 90s.
    Unlike Nancy Pelosi, 77, Sen. Feinstein seems as sharp as she ever was. However, her Party is not in the majority, and the opposition, the GOP, has proven itself singularly impotent in the Senate. Despite the predictions of Rep. Maxine Waters, 79, that Trump will be impeached by Christmas, it's more likely he'll be in office at least through 2020.

This would seem to be a propitious time to retire, but I wonder if maybe she really doesn't trust the next generation of California Democrats. They would be the pols who've made California a "sanctuary state" and criminalized the misuse of pronouns, for starters. Feinstein is certainly blocking an obvious opening for a new Democrat to establish a national presence.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    ABC News. I thought she'd retire, but she's been planning for this for quite a while, it appears.
    (Bold added.)

Unlike Nancy Pelosi, 77, Sen. Feinstein seems as sharp as she ever was. However, her Party is not in the majority, and the opposition, the GOP, has proven itself singularly impotent in the Senate. Despite the predictions of Rep. Maxine Waters, 79, that Trump will be impeached by Christmas, it's more likely he'll be in office at least through 2020.

This would seem to be a propitious time to retire, but I wonder if maybe she really doesn't trust the next generation of California Democrats. They would be the pols who've made California a "sanctuary state" and criminalized the misuse of pronouns, for starters. Feinstein is certainly blocking an obvious opening for a new Democrat to establish a national presence.

Gavin Newsom? Kamala Harris? Scott Weiner?

Gee, I wonder why...NOT.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sen. Feinstein seems as sharp as she ever was
    She can't be. Just a fact of life. Maybe she's got her life arranged so it doesn't show. California peeps are stupid to keep voting for her.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    From I can ascertain on the 'net' whoever is elected from that district won't make any difference.

So I say who cares.
    I got nothing for this and you bastards need to respect that

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:19 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Gavin Newsom? Kamala Harris? Scott Weiner?

Gee, I wonder why...NOT.
    This is one of the systemic problems with the Democratic Party, they anoint "leaders" who don't lead. Neither Obama, nor Clinton, nor Johnson, nor even Kennedy ever developed proteges. They all were turtles on fenceposts put there by someone else and they sucked all the oxygen out and took our their competition. Look at Obama's cynical "assassination insurance" pick with Joe Biden. Why pick that guy when Hillary was right there? Why not pick Bill Richardson? Why not pick Kathleen Sebelius?

Ego, that's why. All four of the last Democrats who have been Presidents could not work with another strong leader and they cold not empower anyone else. THEY are the reason for the election victory and no stage is large enough for them and anyone other than a patsy, a doofus, a late night comedy joke series.

The GOP has lots of issues but one thing they have done well is groom political leaders (for better or worse but at least they have been groomed). Feinstein is the the embodiment of this. She can't retire because she never developed a stable of replacements and instead blew with the wind and has Newsome, Harris and Weiner as people she supported but didn't develop.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

6. Likes Tom Servo, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    This is one of the systemic problems with the Democratic Party, they anoint "leaders" who don't lead. Neither Obama, nor Clinton, nor Johnson, nor even Kennedy ever developed proteges. They all were turtles on fenceposts put there by someone else and they sucked all the oxygen out and took our their competition. Look at Obama's cynical "assassination insurance" pick with Joe Biden. Why pick that guy when Hillary was right there? Why not pick Bill Richardson? Why not pick Kathleen Sebelius?

Ego, that's why. All four of the last Democrats who have been Presidents could not work with another strong leader and they cold not empower anyone else. THEY are the reason for the election victory and no stage is large enough for them and anyone other than a patsy, a doofus, a late night comedy joke series.

The GOP has lots of issues but one thing they have done well is groom political leaders (for better or worse but at least they have been groomed). Feinstein is the the embodiment of this. She can't retire because she never developed a stable of replacements and instead blew with the wind and has Newsome, Harris and Weiner as people she supported but didn't develop.
    You seem to be operating from the premise that Feinstein has or had the power to choose proteges. For whatever reason, she was put in place from SF Board of Supes to her present position by the old Burton Machine, and any successor to her was and will be likewise picked by them.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

8. Likes scott, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    You seem to be operating from the premise that Feinstein has or had the power to choose proteges. For whatever reason, she was put in place from SF Board of Supes to her present position by the old Burton Machine, and any successor to her was and will be likewise picked by them.
    See, this is background and scuttlebutt I'm not very familiar with. I remember the Burton Machine as a local thing in San Fran and maybe California, but even that goes back to Mayor Brown and such.

Was Nancy Pelosi a product of that machine, and does she own it now?

Do national politicians like Pelosi leave local machines behind, like Harry Truman and the Missouri Pendergast machine? Has Feinstein risen above the Burton machine?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:19 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair point.
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.