Thread: Movie: American Assassin

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Movie: American Assassin

OK, we have read or listened to all the Vince Flynn Mitch Rapp series of novels.
    American Assassin was the 11th release order but first in chronological order.

If you have never read any of the books, you might like it. If you have, you probably won't.
    They have politically corrected almost everything and if you know the books, they are anything but PC.

I won't divulge the movie plot or story line, your on your own there.
    The one thing I did find surprising was Michael Keaton as Stan Hurley, grizzled old hard assed, hard drinking, trainer / killer without much of a conscious.
    When he was announced for the part I thought "seriously???". He actually didn't do bad pulling it off and is closest to his book counterpart.
    The rest of them, Mitch, Victor, Irene Kennedy, Thomas Stanfield??? "Not so much" would have been an improvement over what was presented.
    Expose the D.C. monster for what it is
    Al Franken / Jill Stein 2020.

Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 1:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    OK, we have read or listened to all the Vince Flynn Mitch Rapp series of novels.
    American Assassin was the 11th release order but first in chronological order.

If you have never read any of the books, you might like it. If you have, you probably won't.
    They have politically corrected almost everything and if you know the books, they are anything but PC.

I won't divulge the movie plot or story line, your on your own there.
    The one thing I did find surprising was Michael Keaton as Stan Hurley, grizzled old hard assed, hard drinking, trainer / killer without much of a conscious.
    When he was announced for the part I thought "seriously???". He actually didn't do bad pulling it off and is closest to his book counterpart.
    The rest of them, Mitch, Victor, Irene Kennedy, Thomas Stanfield??? "Not so much" would have been an improvement over what was presented.
    I haven't read the books and I have heard a lot of criticism from readers (similar to the 'Jack Reacher' stuff). I'll probably see it and then read the novels.

I mostly was interested because of Keaton.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I haven't read the books and I have heard a lot of criticism from readers (similar to the 'Jack Reacher' stuff). I'll probably see it and then read the novels.

I mostly was interested because of Keaton.
    They did change him from the book version, mostly to avoid an X rating, I would assume.
    As far as Keaton's portrayal of Stan Hurley, imagine Pacific Heights with less morals.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    They did change him from the book version, mostly to avoid an X rating, I would assume.
    As far as Keaton's portrayal of Stan Hurley, imagine Pacific Heights with less morals.
    I'm unfamiliar with 'Pacific Heights'. If you think I should I stay away from this, I will more than be happy to skip it.

Heck, I just saw 'Friend Request' and loved it. My standards in film don't hew to the Critic's Choice.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:17 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I literally fell asleep during this one. Un-interesting on a massive scale. I would have written a review that this was a real snooze-fest, only I thought that might not really be an honest review given that I was out like a light about twenty minutes in.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I literally fell asleep during this one. Un-interesting on a massive scale. I would have written a review that this was a real snooze-fest, only I thought that might not really be an honest review given that I was out like a light about twenty minutes in.
    I mainly wanted to see it because of Keaton.

On the other hand, I have a lot of other movies that I want to see so missing this one is no big deal. When there's a flurry of potentially watchable movies, we probably see one a week or sometimes (rarely) two a week.

Yes, popcorn is a food group.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; Thursday, October 12th, 2017 at 4:38 PM.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I mainly wanted to see it because of Keaton.

On the other hand, I have a lot of other movies that I want to see so missing this one is no big deal. When there's a flurry of potentially watchable movies, we probably see one a week or sometimes (rarely) two a week.

Yes, popcorn is a food group.
    Wait for Netflix or the 1.99 bin at Walmart.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait for Netflix or the 1.99 bin at Walmart.
    I don't have Netflix. Frankly, I can barely use the French-Canadian TV as it is. I just don't watch enough TV to develop any skills.

I like going to the actual movie theater. It's a ritual. I adore the new seating at my preferred theater - much better than anything I have at home!