Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

Last Online
    Today @ 5:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

NBC News | ALI VITALI | FEB 28 2017, 8:39 PM ET

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

President Barack Obama recommended the now-nullified regulation in a 2013 memo following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 first graders and six others dead. The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just gonna leave this article from February here as a reminder of the current state we're in, since mental illness is the main reason people keep getting killed en masse.

I guess the new motto is "the only way to stop a bad mentally ill man with a gun is another mentally ill guy with a gun."
    I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on Tom. Really? Taking an entire group of people and declaring them unfit without adjudicating each case sounds like what the Nazi's did to the Jews.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

NBC News | ALI VITALI | FEB 28 2017, 8:39 PM ET

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

President Barack Obama recommended the now-nullified regulation in a 2013 memo following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 first graders and six others dead. The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.
    I don't think anyone wants crazy people buying guns. I certainly don't. OTOH, I don't want people's private medical history being mined for information that goes into some database that virtually anyone can access. (I've been through the background check several times now, and yes, that minimum-wage clerk at the hunting and fishing store is the one who does your background check. Nice.)

The main thing is, look at what prompted the rule. It was a response to the Sandy Hook massacre. THE SANDY HOOK SHOOTER DIDN'T BUY A SINGLE GUN. So the rule made in response to Sandy Hook wouldn't have prevented Sandy Hook. Or most crazy-person shootings.

How about a rule that actually and effectively mandates that treatment for mental illness be available and accessible? In Florida, for instance, psychiatric treatment is mandated for all juvenile sex offenders, but sometimes the only way to actually get it for them is to incarcerate them. That's productive and cost-effective...not.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

5. Likes Newman, RobJohnson, scott liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I don't think anyone wants crazy people buying guns. I certainly don't. OTOH, I don't want people's private medical history being mined for information that goes into some database that virtually anyone can access. (I've been through the background check several times now, and yes, that minimum-wage clerk at the hunting and fishing store is the one who does your background check. Nice.)

The main thing is, look at what prompted the rule. It was a response to the Sandy Hook massacre. THE SANDY HOOK SHOOTER DIDN'T BUY A SINGLE GUN. So the rule made in response to Sandy Hook wouldn't have prevented Sandy Hook. Or most crazy-person shootings.

How about a rule that actually and effectively mandates that treatment for mental illness be available and accessible? In Florida, for instance, psychiatric treatment is mandated for all juvenile sex offenders, but sometimes the only way to actually get it for them is to incarcerate them. That's productive and cost-effective...not.
    I completely agree with you. I don't want mentally ill people buying guns. I also don't want a fresh out of college social worker determining gun ownership. It's a constitutional right that needs to have court checks when that is taken away.
    Okay.

7. Likes scott liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 3:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just gonna leave this article from February here as a reminder of the current state we're in, since mental illness is the main reason people keep getting killed en masse.

I guess the new motto is "the only way to stop a bad mentally ill man with a gun is another mentally ill guy with a gun."
    stop it.jpg

The story is a lie.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:00 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you read either the law or the regulation it revokes or just the talking points from left wing sources?
    "What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

link

Time will tell.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha!

A bunch of Drudgedouchers complaining about less than rigorous fact checking and politically salacious reporting.

You guys' malleable credulity is fucking epic.

11. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 3:05 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Ha!

A bunch of Drudgedouchers complaining about less than rigorous fact checking and politically salacious reporting.

You guys' malleable credulity is fucking epic.
    You are embarrassing yourself.
    I got nothing for this and you bastards need to respect that

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    You are embarrassing yourself.
    No. I'm not. I'm embarrassing you. You just don't know it. But you can't know it. You guys have lost your intellectual rigor. You were supposed to be the CU elite. Trump has made you insane; just another bunch of homers ignoring reality when required. Pathetic.

Never mind. Go back to sleep.