Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King size beds...they're everywhere!

Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    We use a queen-size waterbed. We've never actually had a conventional bed. Air mattresses, futons, weird foam thing (do not recommend) but never a regular box spring/mattress combo.

The queen is plenty big enough for us and I say that somebody who sprawls. An advantage with the waterbed is that they are longer than conventional beds so smaller canines fit comfortably at the bottom.

Jack makes random attempts to seize the bed but he's the size of a 10 year old when he splays out so that's not something we allow at night.

All other couples we know have king beds.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a king probably ten years ago. Had a queen waterbed and loved it, but I moved it out of the bedroom to take up carpet and install hardwoods. After many hours of back-breaking (and knee-breaking) work installing quite expensive hardwood floors, sanding them, staining them, and sealing them, I was refilling the waterbed and turned my back for a moment to shut off the water supply back to the bed. One of the cats managed to jump up on the water mattress (fully exposed plastic at that point) and before I could stop him, Poet managed to pierce the mattress with a rear claw. It all happened in slow motion as the tiny pinhole spread to a gaping gash about a foot wide, spewing thousands of gallons of water onto my brand new hardwood floors, ruining both the bed and the floors.

Needless to say, I was not what one would call a happy camper.

After drying everything out and once again sanding (this time for quite a few hours more) and staining and sealing the hardwoods in the bedroom, we took our last $1200 worth of vacation money for that year and bought a Sleep Number king-sized bed, and though I hated the circumstances, I have to say that to this very day I absolutely LOVE the bed. When I was still married, it was terrific for those of us who start off cuddling and then eventually kick the covers into the neighbor's back yard. We had an entire menagerie of pets at the time, so four dogs and eight cats was no problem at all. And there was plenty of room for ... ahem ... vigorous activity when we wanted.

I still sleep in it now (obviously alone), but I really enjoy being able to just roll in any direction I want, sprawl however I want, and I know that I never have a risk of running out of covers, space, or pillows. I honestly don't notice any huge difference in the cost of linens themselves between, say, a king and a queen. The difference is there, to be sure, but it's not like they're twice the price or anything; more like 10-15% from what I've generally seen. King bed pillows, though, are massively more expensive from my observation. That kinda hurts, but it's not like I buy new pillows every three months or anything. I love the washables that I have and don't plan to replace them for some time yet.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That kinda hurts, but it's not like I buy new pillows every three months or anything. I love the washables that I have and don't plan to replace them for some time yet.
    Sheets - and pillows-last for decades.

Last Online
    Today @ 6:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over my adult years I've mostly used queen beds. I had a California King for a few of those years and it really took up a lot of space. Now I have plenty of room, but stick with the queen. Guest rooms have a queen or two twins.

My nightly sleeper is an adjustable queen bed, it's nice to be able to raise either my feet or head although most of the time it simply remains flat.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bed I have now is my first queen, and it barely fits in my room but it's worth the squeeze to be able to splay out. As "a gentleman of larger carriage" (i.e., fatass) it's nice to have the extra room to myself.

King beds seem to be confined to suburban master bedrooms. My parents have one, but they're the only ones offhand I know that do. None of my friends do that I'm aware of, but they're almost all normal-sized people.

This bed is starting to sag in the middle where my corpulence has worn a nice groove. It's going to need replacing sooner or later. I'd absolutely love to have something high tech like a sleep number, but I just can't afford it. I also would love to have something adjustable to aid my digestion. I tend to get really nauseated, regardless of what I eat or don't eat, if I lie perfectly flat.

Since we have a few Sleep Number owners here, are they really worth the extra money?

I've also pondered trying out one of the dozens of hip new "mattress in a box" companies that are exclusively online, but I'm wary of getting a quality product like that, especially without being able to try it on for size first. That, and I recently read a rather interesting tale about the behind the scenes shenanigans at a mattress review website involving one of the companies and it made me even more wary of trying any of them.
    I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.

6. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 6:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Wow, very interesting.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:19 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Since we have a few Sleep Number owners here, are they really worth the extra money?
    They are worth extra money. "The extra money" I'm not so sure. The price is getting absurd, and I know if we get a king size one we'll need a second mortgage.

I like a hard mattress, my wife wants an extremely soft one. (Yes, motels always leave one of us with a bad night's sleep.) Because I keep unusual hours I often sleep in a cheap twin mattress in our guest room. It's just as comfortable for me, frankly.

It's essentially an air mattress. I don't get the price; maybe some Big Pharma companies should consider going into the mattress business.

9. Likes Tom Servo liked this post