Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Favorite TCM Movies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Posts
    12,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Favorite TCM Movies

    Which old movies do you always deliciously enjoy?

    Could be any era, genre, actor, whatever.

    Despite my inclination to film noir, I can't resist some costume dramas, war movies, or Westerns.

    What's your taste?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everytime I come across a movie I really like, I'll watch it no matter if it's the beginning, middle or end. Too many to name but Arsenic and Old Lace is definitely one of those movies...it always makes me smile. Signs, Man on Fire, Field of Dreams, Life is Beautiful...to name a few.

    Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
    “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”
    - Martin Luther

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Posts
    12,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, Key Largo, Double Indemnity, Cat People, Tora Tora Tora!

    I could go on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    10,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Which old movies do you always deliciously enjoy?

    Could be any era, genre, actor, whatever.

    Despite my inclination to film noir, I can't resist some costume dramas, war movies, or Westerns.

    What's your taste?
    What's TCM?

    I like real animation (not the weird new shit). Of movies with people in them:

    Fried Green Tomatoes

    Steel Magnolias

    Return of the Secaucus 7

    Because of Winn-Dixie

    all of the Harry Potter movies

    anything directed by John Sayles

    Flashdance

    Broadway musicals made into movies

    and my all-time favorite: King of Hearts.

    ETA: How could I forget this one: M*A*S*H. Used to go to the dollar matinee in College Park to watch a double bill of M*A*S*H and King of Hearts every chance I got.
    Last edited by Celeste Chalfonte; Friday, November 10th, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

    The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Posts
    12,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    TCM - Turner Classic Movies on cable or satellite. No cartoons and no TV series. Simply classic movies from the silent era to the 80s, mostly between 1930 and 1970. Rare Japanese classics after 10:00 p.m. on Saturday nights. Famous silents also late at night.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    10,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    TCM - Turner Classic Movies on cable or satellite. No cartoons and no TV series. Simply classic movies from the silent era to the 80s, mostly between 1930 and 1970. Rare Japanese classics after 10:00 p.m. on Saturday nights. Famous silents also late at night.
    Huh. Nova probably has it. Wouldn't be worth it for us; how many good movies can they fit into Thanksgiving Day?
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

    The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:39 AM
    Location
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    3,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best of all, no commercial interruptions during movies on TCM, either. It's something of a national treasure at this point as far as I'm concerned (and I don't even watch old movies much.)

    I've tried getting into older movies recently, to see the "classics" and the iconic films that pop culture still loves to reference. It's been a hit or miss affair. I loved Desk Set. It's kind of a by-the-numbers Hepburn/Tracey flick but I love the charm of it. And who knew that the theme of humans being replaced by computers and the fear that instills would still be relevant 50 years later?

    Some of the classics, I've actually not been all that impressed with. Citizen Kane comes to mind. 100% positive reviews from every corner of the earth. And a good movie, but I dunno if it's greatest ever. Gone With The Wind? Too melodramatic. And too damn long. Chinatown? I was dozing off (and I even saw it in a grand old theater during a revival.) The Maltese Falcon. Good, but probably not a top 20 movie to me. To Kill A Mockingbird? A Clockwork Orange? Meh. Take them or leave them. Certainly wouldn't watch them if I came into them in the middle. 12 Angry Men, though… maybe.

    That's not to say I don't like the classics at all… I enjoyed some of them, like My Fair Lady, Close Encounters (is it old enough to be a classic yet?) Rear Window I liked, ditto It's A Wonderful Life despite the fact it's played to death every Christmas.

    Most everything else is 80's/90's or early 2000's.

    I still have a lot of others I actually need to watch for the first time: MASH; Casablanca; All About Eve; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Fantasia; Vertigo; Network…

    My screen name gives it away, but in all honesty I enjoy the old B or Z-grade movies as much as anything. All the stuff that wound up on Mystery Science Theater 3000, or Svengoolie, or Elvira's Movie Macabre. I'll actually sit and watch (the original versions of) bad films like Space Mutiny, Teenagers From Outer Space and Mitchell because they're like a train-wreck. You wanna look away, but can't.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; Tuesday, November 14th, 2017 at 5:22 AM.
    I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.

  8. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
  9. #8
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Posts
    12,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I still have a lot of others I actually need to watch for the first time: MASH; Casablanca; All About Eve; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Fantasia; Vertigo; Network…

    My screen name gives it away, but in all honesty I enjoy the old B or Z-grade movies as much as anything. All the stuff that wound up on Mystery Science Theater 3000, or Svengoolie, or Elvira's Movie Macabre. I'll actually sit and watch (the original versions of) bad films like Space Mutiny, Teenagers From Outer Space and Mitchell because they're like a train-wreck. You wanna look away, but can't.
    Just because a movie is termed 'classic' doesn't mean it will meet all tastes. My tastes run to film noir, suspense, horror, darker 'women's movies' (crime, alcoholism, insanity, etc.), some war movies, some period dramas, and certain Westerns.

    Other people live for the musicals, the romance movies, or the (then) topical dramas. You'll find your groove but don't expect that you will like a movie simply because critics talk it up.

    Of your list I would say that 'Vertigo', 'All About Eve', 'Casablanca', and 'Fantasia' are worth seeing (for very different reasons). 'Mash' is solidly framed within the late Vietnam War era and it's dated in a way that 'The Caine Mutiny' is not. 'Network' is hard to watch now for me since it's premise is gone. You should read the book, 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' before seeing the movie. The movie is good but Nicholson's character kind of obscures and diminishes some of the other characters and their interactions. You can decide for yourself which you prefer after sampling both.

  10. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Saturday, October 5th, 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In the mainstream of American life.
    Posts
    10,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Just because a movie is termed 'classic' doesn't mean it will meet all tastes. My tastes run to film noir, suspense, horror, darker 'women's movies' (crime, alcoholism, insanity, etc.), some war movies, some period dramas, and certain Westerns.

    Other people live for the musicals, the romance movies, or the (then) topical dramas. You'll find your groove but don't expect that you will like a movie simply because critics talk it up.

    Of your list I would say that 'Vertigo', 'All About Eve', 'Casablanca', and 'Fantasia' are worth seeing (for very different reasons). 'Mash' is solidly framed within the late Vietnam War era and it's dated in a way that 'The Caine Mutiny' is not. 'Network' is hard to watch now for me since it's premise is gone. You should read the book, 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' before seeing the movie. The movie is good but Nicholson's character kind of obscures and diminishes some of the other characters and their interactions. You can decide for yourself which you prefer after sampling both.
    MASH is set in Korea, during the Korean "Conflict." It all takes place prior to 1953. If that makes it dated, it was dated before it was filmed. If your point is that it was geared to Vietnam-era anti-war sentiment, I can assure you that my uncle, a veteran of both or those so-called "police actions," could confirm that the anti-KOREAN WAR sentiment displayed by Hawkeye, Trapper John and friends was quite historically accurate.

    I heartily agree with your recommendation about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

    The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
    Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Posts
    12,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    MASH is set in Korea, during the Korean "Conflict." It all takes place prior to 1953. If that makes it dated, it was dated before it was filmed. If your point is that it was geared to Vietnam-era anti-war sentiment, I can assure you that my uncle, a veteran of both or those so-called "police actions," could confirm that the anti-KOREAN WAR sentiment displayed by Hawkeye, Trapper John and friends was quite historically accurate.

    I heartily agree with your recommendation about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
    I know the setting for 'MASH', I said it was framed within the then current criticisms of Vietnam. Like a lot, I also had living relatives at that time who had served in all 3 wars and their opinions varied.

    My point is that some critically acclaimed war movies hew pretty closely to plain fact and some chose a viewpoint that may not express the views of all involved - this is true of any viewpoint. When you have a lot to chose from, this isn't much of an issue.

    My "meh" views about this movie go beyond the rightness or wrongness of the conflict itself. It's just not a movie that holds up well after all these years and without some kind of knowledge about the conflict, it can diminish the actions of those involved since there are so few movies about the conflict to begin with. Korea Vets have have always lived in the shadows (cinematically) of movies about WWII or Vietnam.

    But the bigger issue is that a lot of iconic movies were "iconic" for their era. That doesn't necessarily mean that a contemporary viewer will see what audiences and critics saw at the time. On the other hand, it's also possible for a contemporary viewer to see and enjoy aspects of a classic film that were never noticed or of interest to the creators or audience of the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •