Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Childhood Food

Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst Childhood Food

I don't care if you adore it today (unless you have a good story). The worst thing you had as a kid that you were repeatedly confronted with at dinner or lunch. Has to be repetitious, that one-off pickled egg incident won't cut it.

Dish.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't care if you adore it today (unless you have a good story). The worst thing you had as a kid that you were repeatedly confronted with at dinner or lunch. Has to be repetitious, that one-off pickled egg incident won't cut it.

Dish.
    Canned asparagus. Disgusting. My mother loved it.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liver. First, middle and last...it's always liver.
    “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”
    - Martin Luther

4. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 2:36 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Liver. First, middle and last...it's always liver.
    Me too. My parents asked why I didn't like it. I said, "Because it chews back." They thought that was cute. Fast forward 15 years and I was working in a deli in SF. They served fried liver that looked and smelled delicious. It was a whole different experience- I loved it. Along the way I discovered chopped liver and loved it. So I guess that it was about the preparation.

Chicken livers are terrible for you, but Celeste and I would have them often when we first moved to SF. A KFC chicken liver dinner (roll and slaw) was $1.56. Yum.
    Reporters used to break stories. Now they're just fucking tattletales. - Adam Carolla

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cooked spinach, brussel sprouts, greens, anything that looks like it was plucked from the back yard, cooked and then thrown on a plate.
    Still hate them.

And I feel I have to mention the head cheese that my grandmother and aunt used to make in a Holiday competition. Had to try it every year. Every year it still sucked.
    Expose the D.C. monster for what it is
    Al Franken / Jill Stein 2020.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary m View Post
    Cooked spinach, brussel sprouts, greens, anything that looks like it was plucked from the back yard, cooked and then thrown on a plate.
    Still hate them.

And I feel I have to mention the head cheese that my grandmother and aunt used to make in a Holiday competition. Had to try it every year. Every year it still sucked.
    Oh, yes. This was not a hated food for me but the trauma of lifting the lid off the delicious-smelling pot will haunt me. You just shouldn't know how some things are made. It's wrong.

When they said they used everything but the squeal, they weren't kidding.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Me too. My parents asked why I didn't like it. I said, "Because it chews back." They thought that was cute. Fast forward 15 years and I was working in a deli in SF. They served fried liver that looked and smelled delicious. It was a whole different experience- I loved it. Along the way I discovered chopped liver and loved it. So I guess that it was about the preparation.

Chicken livers are terrible for you, but Celeste and I would have them often when we first moved to SF. A KFC chicken liver dinner (roll and slaw) was $1.56. Yum.
    Huh. And I always loved it. I would even come home for dinner without being 3 or 4 times. When I think of chilly fall evenings, I think of coming home with dirt in my socks, thinking I had fooled Mom by putting my shoes back on before getting within sight. It would be almost dark, and the house was warm and smelled like liver and onions and fried potatoes sizzling in the big cast-iron skillet. You and I were grubby from wringing the last few minutes of margibal daylight out of the evening, and Honoria was probably wearing something pink. And clean.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, yes. This was not a hated food for me but the trauma of lifting the lid off the delicious-smelling pot will haunt me. You just shouldn't know how some things are made. It's wrong.

When they said they used everything but the squeal, they weren't kidding.
    Well, there was your mistake, right there. I prefer not to look at anything until it's on the plate. Besides, civilized people buy scrapple at the Colonial Store. Why do you think the Adamses renamed it? "Headcheese" even sounds disgusting.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Well, there was your mistake, right there. I prefer not to look at anything until it's on the plate. Besides, civilized people buy scrapple at the Colonial Store. Why do you think the Adamses renamed it? "Headcheese" even sounds disgusting.
    Curiosity is the sign of an interesting mind - or so I've always maintained.

It is made out of heads so that part seems okay but the "cheese" angle is very misleading. A better but not commercially successful name would be, "Face Aspic".

Of course, if we named foods to identify what they actually are, we'd end up existing on kelp chips and water.

Last Online
    Today @ 3:40 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course, if we named foods to identify what they actually are, we'd end up existing on kelp chips and water.
    Nah. I'm pretty happy with eating "cow's ass-end." Doesn't bother me in the least. I already know what "rump roast" is without too much thought or consideration.

Like Michele, my hated childhood food was liver. Still can't stand the smell of it to this day. A not-too-distant second was meatloaf, but that's just because my mother's recipe for it sucked: basically just ground beef with ketchup poured on top. Proper meatloaf today I enjoy quite a bit.

And while I was absolutely no fan of the canned, boiled-until-limp-and-slimy spinach of the mid-'70s, I do very much enjoy spinach today. I actually liked most greens as a kid, and still do. You can't feed me enough broccoli or asparagus, I love salads of all sorts, and I love raw cabbage. Sauerkraut should be reserved for GITMO detainees, though. I got ruined on that when we actually made it from scratch one year. I really enjoyed shredding up the cabbage and getting everything into the crock to let it "steep," but after a few days of that nastiness basically just rotting in that pot, I was off that crap forever and can't stand even the thought of it today.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.