Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Weirdest Scar (And How You Got It)

Last Online
    Today @ 5:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    My scar was very, very lurid for about three years. Then it blended in as much as a large, raised scar can, and now it's still raised but actually lighter than my winter skin.

Go figure.
    My scars take a long time to blend back in. I had a lump removed from my right breast about 10 years ago, and it looks like the scar is from a week ago.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:13 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Right wrist. Gun shot wound. I lived.
    Ouch. Didn't somebody in this forum accidentally shoot himself?

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. Itís the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...none that are especially weird looking. Lots of scars, but it's usually the "how I got it" that makes mine interesting. Like the one shaped like a mirror-image Ä, on my chin, where a cranky collie took a bite and left not enough to stitch together. It's small and faded now, but it was big and scary then.

Then there's the fairly unobtrusive one on my knee that I got playing chicken with Vally the gypsy boy. The axle bolt of his spiderbike went up under my kneecap and I had to bend the knee to get it out.

And the one on my calf that looks more like a birthmark, about three and 1/2 inches long and 1.5" across, where I laid the exhaust pipe of my 2nd motorcycle against my leg...while wearing shorts. Did I mention it had kick-starter, and I had kicked it over multiple times, trying to start it after a long winter? The pipe was really hot. So hot it felt cold for several seconds. Long enough to acquire a 3rd-degree burn.

My surgical scars are boring.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

4. Likes Tom Servo, Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Ouch. Didn't somebody in this forum accidentally shoot himself?
    Yeah, but he's a little touchy about that. I doubt he'll chime in.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

6. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Friday, November 17th, 2017 @ 11:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    BIL has a 50 cent piece-sized third degree burn scar acquired exactly the way Celeste describes.

We'd gone up to Julesburg for annual dirt bike ride. The evening before, the BIL decided to do some test runs in shorts.

It was gnarly and I'm sure it was painful but he drank a few beers that night and rode in leathers the next day (I was in Powder Puff - and I liked it!).

It's still quite the scar.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    BIL has a 50 cent piece-sized third degree burn scar acquired exactly the way Celeste describes.

We'd gone up to Julesburg for annual dirt bike ride. The evening before, the BIL decided to do some test runs in shorts.

It was gnarly and I'm sure it was painful but he drank a few beers that night and rode in leathers the next day (I was in Powder Puff - and I liked it!).

It's still quite the scar.
    I could not have ridden a hobbyhorse around the living room the next day. Not with all the liquor in Kentucky on board. I have a phenomenal pain threshold, except for burns. Those make me miserable. Especially that one, which had to be debrided, the bandages soaked off every day and some special cream applied (silvadene, maybe?) until enough skin grew back to cover the full-thickness burn. Apparently exposed sub-cu fat is quite susceptible to infection.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    I could not have ridden a hobbyhorse around the living room the next day. Not with all the liquor in Kentucky on board. I have a phenomenal pain threshold, except for burns. Those make me miserable. Especially that one, which had to be debrided, the bandages soaked off every day and some special cream applied (silvadene, maybe?) until enough skin grew back to cover the full-thickness burn. Apparently exposed sub-cu fat is quite susceptible to infection.
    The on-site medics did stuff but this was a race and he was a guy and it was the era it was.

When we got back to Denver he did get it treated with the debridement, etc.

Amazingly, it wasn't infected - just awful. This is one scar he's not proud of and seldom mentions since it was his own fault and everybody would know it.

I came in third, though! Pretty good for me since I was/am cautious on bikes. My first race ever.

I did not get better.

Last Online
    Today @ 5:39 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is, seriously, the most cringe-worthy thread ever started on this site. I'm especially pain-averse and reading some of these stories ó the wandering saw, the axelbolt ó send shiver up my spine.

My non-surgical scars are few and far between and not extremely painful in origin, but are definitely weird.

I have a noticeable scar on my forearm from where my cat used to regularly bite and scratch me. For some reason she loved to wrap herself around my arm and kick with her back feet, claws out, and bite. It was never painful, it was sort of like play fighting. I didn't mind it, and I always had a wicket assortment of lines and punctures on my arm for kids to sing "Cat Scratch Fever" at me at school. I loved that cat so the occasional owwie was not a big deal.

Even more embarrassing is the scar that goes all the way across my knee. As a kid, I was browsing at a Waldenbooks in the mall and the carpet was curled up under the bookshelf. When I knelt down to pick something up off the bottom shelf, the sharp edge of the crappy stiff mall carpet sliced all the way across my kneecap. I bled like a stuck pig all the way out of the bookstore and into the mall before my dad saw it and cleaned it up. I'm sure I wailed like a banshee, too, because I was that kind of a wussy boy.

For all the burns, scrapes and cuts that I got as a kid, I never once put any kind of ointment, tincture or salve on any of it. That sort of thing was unheard of in my house. My father was a "suck it up and walk it off" kind of guy and mom was a clueless woman who had no business raising a child, ha ha. One time at a friend's house I cut my finger and his mom tried to put iodine (?) on it, and I ran from her like she was a witch trying to poison me. I had no idea that there were treatments for burns and scrapes at all. We didn't even use Band-Aids most of the time.
    I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.

11. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think home treatments are pretty iffy, myself.

We normally just washed out cuts and scrapes and used band-aids for a few hours until whatever it was clotted up. I have some experience with Mercurochrome (Granny's favorite) and Bactine but usually it was too much trouble to go in for it. Our principle defense was up-to-date tetanus shots and a robust immune system.

The ONE time I did everything right was a big disaster for me. I got a tiny nick on my hand when I essentially hit my dog's mouth as I was passing out yummies at a garden party or BBQ. It was literally less than 1/4th of an inch and hardly bled and didn't even go through the skin - it was a superficial scratch.

However, I uncharacteristically went in the house, washed it with hot water and soap, dumped Listerine on it, and covered it.

A few days later I have a raging infection and two types of antibiotics failed. I ended up getting butt shots every day while my Doc drew ominous lines on my arm. Luckily the third kind of antibiotics worked because if it failed, I would have had to sit for 8 hours a day for some kind of I.V. treatment.

I have never so much as rinsed off a wound since then. It can wait until the next normal washing-up/shower/bath moment. No wound infections since. Go figure.

13. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    Yeah, but he's a little touchy about that. I doubt he'll chime in.
    That may be the the most obvious weirdest scar, but not really.

I have told this one before...
    Early 20's. Sitting around at a buddy's house getting all kinds of stoned.
    Decided we would do some Whippits (no, not the dog, the small CO2 sized containers of Nitrous Oxide.)

Now normally, as if this is normal behavior, we would discharge it into a balloon and go from there.
    Except we couldn't find a balloon.
    Next best option... garbage bag over head.
    3 Whippits and some heavy breathing later I ended up passing out, falling off the chair I was on and whacked my head above my left eye on the chair or something as I went down.
    Bled like my throat was cut. People I was with thought I was dead since falling had the added benefit of knocking my already unconscious self out.
    They were planning on how to dispose of the body as I came out of it.

Inch long scar above my eye, usually covered by eyebrow.

Still (almost) not as stupid as 2 of my younger brothers. They decided (yes, drugs were involved) to see who could hold a butane lighter heated glass beer bottle top against their arm the longest.
    Don't remember who won(???), but both of them have circle shaped scars on their forearms.
    Expose the D.C. monster for what it is
    Al Franken / Jill Stein 2020.

15. Likes Tom Servo liked this post