Thread: North Korea Missile Launch Appears Calibrated to Avoid American Military Response

Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 1:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

North Korea Missile Launch Appears Calibrated to Avoid American Military Response

North Korea Missile Launch Appears Calibrated to Avoid American Military Response

Pyongyang’s test of longest-range missile yet demonstrates advances in campaign to build weapons that can strike U.S.

People watch a television broadcast on North Korea's test-launch of its latest ballistic missile at the Seoul rail station on Wednesday. PHOTO: GETTY IMAGES

By Andrew Jeong and Jonathan Cheng
    Updated Nov. 29, 2017 2:57 p.m. ET

SEOUL—North Korea’s latest ballistic-missile test Wednesday appeared calculated to avoid crossing red lines that could provoke military action by Washington while demonstrating an advance in the country’s campaign to build nuclear weapons capable of striking the U.S.

Pyongyang said the test of its longest-range missile yet showed it could target the entire U.S. But the latest launch wasn’t as provocative as other steps it has threatened, including firing missiles at Guam, shooting down U.S. aircraft in international airspace, or exploding a thermonuclear device over the Pacific.

Analysts weren’t ruling out such actions down the road. But for now, close observers of the regime say the test of what Pyongyang described as a new Hwasong-15 missile with a “super-large heavy warhead” was calibrated to demonstrate North Korea’s status as a nuclear-weapons state without following through on more extreme threats that could lead to war.

North Korea also chose not to launch the missile over Japan, as the regime has done with two missile tests this year. Instead, the Hwasong-15 splashed down between Korea and Japan after flying on a lofted trajectory that took it deep into space before re-entering the earth’s atmosphere.

U.S. President Donald Trump spoke to Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday, the White House said, underscoring “the determination of the United States to defend ourselves and our allies from the growing threat” and calling on China to work to convince North Korea to end the provocation.

In a Twitter message about the phone call, Mr. Trump said “additional major sanctions will be imposed on North Korea today.” Shortly afterward, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the U.S. has “a long list of additional potential sanctions,” some possibly involving financial institutions, but added the Treasury Department would announce them when they were ready.

At a campaign-style rally in St. Charles, Mo., on Wednesday, Mr. Trump appeared to refer to Mr. Kim as “little rocket man,” a frequent insult, and told a cheering crowd: “He’s a sick puppy.”

Tuesday’s launch, the first since September, marks a logical progression in North Korean efforts to secure an effective nuclear deterrent, and more tests are likely in the months ahead, said Yang Xiyu, a Korean affairs expert and senior fellow at the China Institute of International Studies, a think tank affiliated with the Chinese Foreign Ministry.

“North Korea’s missile launches enjoy diminishing marginal utility in terms of political impact and shock value,” Mr. Yang said. “The latest test doesn’t really affect the options that China and the U.S. have in dealing with North Korea.”
    This seems important. I would have thought somebody more 'in touch' would have posted it before now.

WSJ

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps it's a function of being a Cold War kid but North Korea does not scare me.

Actually, I wonder why everyone is freaked out about them. They are way down my threat list.
    "That Fox News panel––the breathtaking dishonesty of it is beyond my ability to articulate. That is no longer a news organization. That is what American state media looks like. That is what White House-controlled in-the-service-of-the-president misinformation looks like. That is indistinct from propaganda in authoritarian countries. It is aimed directly at weakening essential institutions and misinforming the American people. It is appalling.”

~ Steve Schmidt

Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 4:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly, I wish a missile would fall on our or our allies' territory so we could wipe them off the map already.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, and not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Frankly, I wish a missile would fall on our or our allies' territory so we could wipe them off the map already.
    Be careful what you wish for. From what I have read, it would be virtually impossible to intercept all the nuclear warheads if N. Korea launched. And it is believed that they could manage to launch before our strikes wiped out their country.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meanwhile, Hawaii has re-activated it's air raid signal warning devices.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-...uclear-attack/

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. From what I have read, it would be virtually impossible to intercept all the nuclear warheads if N. Korea launched. And it is believed that they could manage to launch before our strikes wiped out their country.

Mark
    You might be thinking of a Russian ICBM attack, or you might be thinking of the large amounts of artillery the Norks have pointed at Seoul, but I don't think North Korea has a large number of nuclear warheads or a large number of long-range ICBM's.

“And I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful."
    -President Donald J. Trump

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    You might be thinking of a Russian ICBM attack, or you might be thinking of the large amounts of artillery the Norks have pointed at Seoul, but I don't think North Korea has a large number of nuclear warheads or a large number of long-range ICBM's.
    Well, we don't know where they're getting them from.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    I understand they have about 10 warheads. I would think that is plenty.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.