Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unconscious Patient With 'Do Not Resuscitate' Tattoo Causes Ethical Conundrum at Hosp

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Unconscious Patient With 'Do Not Resuscitate' Tattoo Causes Ethical Conundrum at Hosp

You'd think this would be pretty clear-cut, but apparently not.

Unconscious Patient With 'Do Not Resuscitate' Tattoo Causes Ethical Conundrum at Hospital

When an unresponsive patient arrived at a Florida hospital ER, the medical staff was taken aback upon discovering the words “DO NOT RESUSCITATE” tattooed onto the man’s chest—with the word “NOT” underlined and with his signature beneath it. Confused and alarmed, the medical staff chose to ignore the apparent DNR request—but not without alerting the hospital’s ethics team, who had a different take on the matter.

As described in a New England Journal of Medicine case report, the unnamed 70-year-old man was brought to the ER by paramedics in an unconscious state, and with an elevated blood alcohol level. The patient had a history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (a type of lung disease), diabetes, and an irregular heart rate. His condition began to deteriorate several hours after being admitted, and dramatic medical interventions were needed to keep the patient alive.

But with the “DO NOT RESUSCITATE” tattoo glaring back at them, the ICU team was suddenly confronted with a serious dilemma. The patient arrived at the hospital without ID, the medical staff was unable to contact next of kin, and efforts to revive or communicate with the patient were futile. The medical staff had no way of knowing if the tattoo was representative of the man’s true end-of-life wishes, so they decided to play it safe and ignore it.

“And I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful."
    -President Donald J. Trump

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well now, is the patient suing?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Well now, is the patient suing?
    Doubtful. He ded.

“And I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful."
    -President Donald J. Trump

4. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 4:09 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's an interesting conundrum, but since it's not a legal document, a tattoo shouldn't really have any legal standing. Not unless he got his lawyer and a notary stamp tattooed on it, too.

He would have been better off putting a URL on his chest linking to the DNR document online somewhere.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, and not screaming like the passengers in his car.

6. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm dePlume View Post
    Doubtful. He ded.
    Oh well, some family member then. Maybe there isn't any.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Oh well, some family member then. Maybe there isn't any.
    Sometimes people actually study ethical conundrums in order to determine if there is something that they can learn from them about future conduct. At least, that's what many learned people do.

9. Likes RobJohnson, Celeste Chalfonte liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It's an interesting conundrum, but since it's not a legal document, a tattoo shouldn't really have any legal standing. Not unless he got his lawyer and a notary stamp tattooed on it, too.

He would have been better off putting a URL on his chest linking to the DNR document online somewhere.
    Nope. Still ineffective. How friggin' stupid is THIS?

Do Not Resuscitate Order
    Contact the Florida Department of Health
    850-245-4444
    health@flhealth.gov

Mailing Address
    Florida Department of Health
    4052 Bald Cypress Way
    Tallahassee, FL 32399

A Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNRO) is a form or patient identification device developed by the Department of Health to identify people who do not wish to be resuscitated in the event of respiratory or cardiac arrest. A copy of the form can be obtained by downloading the form from this site (on yellow paper only).

Do Not Resuscitate Order—Form 1896 (Multilingual)
    Important! In order to be legally valid this form MUST be printed on yellow paper prior to being completed. EMS and medical personnel are only required to honor the form if it is printed on yellow paper.

FAC 64J-2.018—Governing Florida DNRO Forms
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

11. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 3:17 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy came in without ID, so even having a proper DNR on file wouldn't have worked. In actuality, he probably should have tattooed a copy of his driver's license onto his chest and filed the DNR on the required yellow paper.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having just watched Tattoo Nightmares last night, I think it's a good call to not simply assume the tattoo means what it says at the time.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The guy came in without ID, so even having a proper DNR on file wouldn't have worked. In actuality, he probably should have tattooed a copy of his driver's license onto his chest and filed the DNR on the required yellow paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
    Having just watched Tattoo Nightmares last night, I think it's a good call to not simply assume the tattoo means what it says at the time.
    I doubt it would have mattered. Unless you have a health care surrogate on hand to enforce it, they tend to ignore it anyway.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).