Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Hated Christmas Song

Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 1:23 PM
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Hated Christmas Song

You don't need to hate Christmas to hate some of the current musical offerings that play relentlessly in stores or on radio. Could be the message, the delivery, the singer/musicians, arrangement, or anything really.

It just makes your teeth grate. What is it?

For me, it's 'The Little Drummer Boy'. I guess somebody important in 70s recorded it or covered it or something but in the sixth grade band we had to learn it. And perform it.

Despite the title, our arrangement was big on brass so while the violinists smirked, we brass players had to rehearse that thing a million times.

I still flinch when I hear it.

Last Online
    Saturday, December 16th, 2017 @ 11:26 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    For me, it's 'The Little Drummer Boy'.
    Heretic.

I'm dropping the mic on this thread right now with "Dominick The Italian Christmas Donkey".

3. Likes Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need to hate Christmas to hate some of the current musical offerings that play relentlessly in stores or on radio. Could be the message, the delivery, the singer/musicians, arrangement, or anything really.

It just makes your teeth grate. What is it?

For me, it's 'The Little Drummer Boy'. I guess somebody important in 70s recorded it or covered it or something but in the sixth grade band we had to learn it. And perform it.

Despite the title, our arrangement was big on brass so while the violinists smirked, we brass players had to rehearse that thing a million times.

I still flinch when I hear it.
    It's not my favorite but I like it better when it's sung by children instead of adults. Except...I do like this version:

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”
    - Martin Luther

5. Likes Billy Jingo, Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a toss-up between "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" and "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Also anyone who feels compelled to put his or her own "stamp" on a Christmas standard. No< I don't think your rap version of "Here Comes Santa Claus" is edgy; I think it's fucking annoying.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

7. Likes Gingersnap, Tom Servo, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
    It's a toss-up between "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" and "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Also anyone who feels compelled to put his or her own "stamp" on a Christmas standard. No< I don't think your rap version of "Here Comes Santa Claus" is edgy; I think it's fucking annoying.
    There surely are some trashy songs for performers to put on their "Christmas Album."

Of more circulated material, "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" is my choice for the most contemptible. I don't agree about "I Saw Mommy Kissing Claus." I'd swap in "All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth." Blecch.

The best is probably still "Silent Night, Holy Night," which has taught generations of children that Mary was a Round Young Virgin. Whatever that is. Maybe it's a bit like ol' Santa himself, who "had a broad face and a little round belly, that shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!"

9. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't say I hate any Christmas song. Back in grade school, the entire school would sing those songs in church. It was magical.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    White Christmas! Stop with the stupid dreaming already!

12. Likes Lanie liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Heretic.

I'm dropping the mic on this thread right now with "Dominick The Italian Christmas Donkey".
    I think I feel intensely glad that I've never heard this one. Balaam's donkey is more than enough for me.

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just heard the 'Mary Did You Know' song.

I have no opinion musically. Content-wise?

I never need to hear that one another time.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just heard the 'Mary Did You Know' song.

I have no opinion musically. Content-wise?

I never need to hear that one another time.
    It's a beautiful song. I don't count it particularly profound; I wouldn't inspect the "theology" of the lyrics. It's just an effort to empathize with the new mother who would seem to be aware of the profoundly different circumstances of her situation. But there's no reason to think she was more aware than were Jesus' Disciples, later on, who were constantly befuddled and uncomprehending, by all accounts. Christianity maintains Jesus was entirely human, and probably needed a swat on the butt occasionally.

16. Likes Michele liked this post