Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: More than a trickle down

Last Online
    Today @ 9:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jingo View Post
    Are you saying that those with a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders of AT&T make labor decisions based on sound reasons that ensure the highest possible return on invested capital?
    I'm pointing out the reality that old technologies will eventually die off as industries, and workers no longer needed get let go. You know this already, but you just don't want to admit that you don't keep on paying the plumber at your house long after the job is actually done.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 7:33 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Home Depot just announced $1,000 bonuses for hourly employees as a result of the tax bill passage.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
    Sheep Sickness

There is no half way. After his first exposure, a man is either a sheep hunter or he isn’t. He either falls under the spell of sheep hunting and sheep country or he won’t be caught dead on another sheep mountain.

Jack O'Connor —”The Bighorn,” March 1960

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    Home Depot just announced $1,000 bonuses for hourly employees as a result of the tax bill passage.
    Excellent news! Whether you know them or not, a bunch of ordinary people, including single Moms are benefiting from all this. They are your neighbors, the people who have kids in the same school as your kids, and the people who fix your car or man your urgent care clinics.

I have lived on the bleeding edge and keeping a $1,000 bucks of money I already worked for would have been a godsend over a year. A bonus would have been magical and they were when I got them.

People who dismiss this as worthless or economic trickery simply haven't had to budget down to the point where Lincoln screamed. You really don't get it if you haven't been at the point where vienna sausages are your major protein source.

While many in that situation take SNAP or other assistance, I did not so keeping my own money was critically important to me.

In most parts of the U.S., that kind of money is a house payment or a couple of car payments, it'a a month of daycare, it's a couple of months of budget-driven groceries. It's a lot of money.

4. Likes Newman, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Excellent news! Whether you know them or not, a bunch of ordinary people, including single Moms are benefiting from all this. They are your neighbors, the people who have kids in the same school as your kids, and the people who fix your car or man your urgent care clinics.

I have lived on the bleeding edge and keeping a $1,000 bucks of money I already worked for would have been a godsend over a year. A bonus would have been magical and they were when I got them.

People who dismiss this as worthless or economic trickery simply haven't had to budget down to the point where Lincoln screamed. You really don't get it if you haven't been at the point where vienna sausages are your major protein source.

While many in that situation take SNAP or other assistance, I did not so keeping my own money was critically important to me.

In most parts of the U.S., that kind of money is a house payment or a couple of car payments, it'a a month of daycare, it's a couple of months of budget-driven groceries. It's a lot of money.
    A year of diapers is how my nephew put it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
    Sheep Sickness

There is no half way. After his first exposure, a man is either a sheep hunter or he isn’t. He either falls under the spell of sheep hunting and sheep country or he won’t be caught dead on another sheep mountain.

6. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbit View Post
    A year of diapers is how my nephew put it.
    And he's framing it the way most of the 80% of us who will benefit would frame it.

A year of diapers! Holy cow! That's a very big difference in a young couple's life.

I get it that Pelosi (a multimillionaire) doesn't much care about what she spends monthly on tips and probably doesn't even understand how much a tranny job costs (the car kind, not the sexually confused kind). But she and her chorus aren't even faking compassion at this point.

In Real World, everybody I know is thrilled to keep more of their own money including people who reflexively hate Trump. Their hatred is reflexive but the outcomes for them (tax cuts, lucrative employment cascades, 401k performance, etc., are deprogramming some).

Some now, more later.

I'm lucky and smart enough to be able to plow through awful political events. Even without SNAP, I'll never starve. What's happening now economically is pure gravy for me (and I'm glad of it). Had it happened to me as a young married woman - there would have been no words. That's how important it would have been.

Last Online
    Friday, July 20th, 2018 @ 11:07 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liberals Are Ripping Tax Reform Bonuses. But They Celebrated $40 Under Obama Tax Cut.

In late 2011, President Barack Obama’s White House promoted the hashtag #40Dollars to get the word out about an extra $40 per month Americans would save in the temporary payroll tax cut.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., scoffed at the recent (Trump) bonuses. Pelosi in January called the bonuses “crumbs,” “pathetic,” and “insignificant.”

Unless the Anointed One did such a thing. Oops:

Time and time and time and time again...scratch a Democratic, find a hypocrite. How can you not loathe them.
    You can't unburn bridges.

9. Likes Michele, Newman liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The trickle continues.

Lowes
    Sheep Sickness

Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd think the constant hypocrisy would make a difference but no.

12. Likes JB liked this post
    Last Online
    Friday, July 20th, 2018 @ 11:07 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deserves it's own thread but:

Economy added 200,000 jobs in January; wage growth best since 2009

The unemployment rate remained steady at 4.1%, the lowest rate in more than 17 years.
    Wage growth best since 2009.
    More than 200 U.S. companies have offered bonuses, raised minimum wages or lifted contributions to employees’ 401(k) retirement accounts, citing the Republican-backed tax cuts.
    Recent polling shows Americans are satisfied with the state of the U.S. economy, with the percentage of those polled with positive views of the economy at a 17-year high.

Damn you President Trump.

14. Likes 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Post Thanks / Like
    The details of this jobs report, especially the numbers behind the wage growth suggest that companies are competing for workers and the shortage of skilled workers is pushing up wages.
    Market Watch
    Sheep Sickness

16. Likes scott liked this post