Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Would You Miss if You Dropped TV?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    We watch tv but I'm pretty sure we could do without it minus a few favorite shows but we do like to watch videos so I would miss that. And, Joe Kenda.
    We all adore Joe. He would be much missed at our house.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Holy cow! No kidding!

I feel kinda bad about just using 'Criminal Minds" as a mindless backdrop when knitting - I always think I should be listening to a much more productive podcast.

I have apparently freaked out people when they come over for coffee and there is no TV/radio/music on. It's silent.

I just put on some background music to sooth them.
    Even as a teen, while I loved music, I never liked background noise. If I'm listening to music, I'm listening; it isn't on for company or so I don't have to listen to my own thoughts. If I walk into a place and there's a tv on, I walk back out, especially if I'm going to be trying to carry on a conversation. I absolutely cannot sleep within hearing distance of a television. The whole first year we were back in the Bay Area, my sleep quality was miserable because our upstairs neighbor slept with the TV on just loud enough that I could hear the cadence, but that's enough. I can sleep through cicada choruses, garbage collection, children playing, leaf blowers, sirens...hell, in college, I used to nap while the band played on the front steps of the dorm, 2 measly floors below. But TV dialogue keeps me awake and drives me up a wall.

ETA: I actually own one of these:

Last edited by Celeste Chalfonte; Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 at 11:53 PM.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

3. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 9:56 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I'm still nursing along an old, large, and quite heavy tube TV, which still has a fantastic picture and great sound, what I would likely miss most if I dropped my TV would be my foot.
    Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

5. Likes Tom Servo, Newman, 80zephyr liked this post
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really like background TV, either. It's one of the biggest pet peeves I have when visiting my grandmother. She ain't gonna be around forever, so I want to talk and spend quality time with her. Almost all the time, however, the Hallmark Channel is blasting away and she won't turn it down for anyone.

I'd even be happy if we could mute the commercials, but I don't think she knows how to do that.

When I watch TV, I almost always watch TV. It's not background while on Facechat or Twitbook or whatever. Ditto music. I listen to listen. The only exception to this is I do listen to my shortwave programs while surfing the net, and often put on a podcast to listen while I read my e-mail or work on my website. (I just finished today's NHK Radio Japan broadcast via Austria while writing this.)
    Ever stop to think, then forget to start again?

7. Likes Gingersnap liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    If something happened to my wife, I doubt I would even own a TV.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 80zephyr View Post
    If something happened to my wife, I doubt I would even own a TV.
    Once you get used to it, it's not that hard to live without. Especially since the news is so freely available now online.

I lived without TV for a little while in college… didn't miss it after a week. Of course, my roommate and I had a turntable with all of our music, and we saw movies 2 or 3 times a week, so maybe that filled the void.

TV is nearly an addiction for me at this point, though. Not sure I could give it up completely, especially streaming.
    Ever stop to think, then forget to start again?

Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Once you get used to it, it's not that hard to live without. Especially since the news is so freely available now online.

I lived without TV for a little while in college… didn't miss it after a week. Of course, my roommate and I had a turntable with all of our music, and we saw movies 2 or 3 times a week, so maybe that filled the void.

TV is nearly an addiction for me at this point, though. Not sure I could give it up completely, especially streaming.
    My wife loves TV. NCIS. Bones. And she freaken loves those Harry Potter marathons. Thankfully(very thankfully) she does not like crap like "Dancing with the stars" and other such nonsense.

At least what she watches, I can stomach.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 8:59 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    When I watch TV, I almost always watch TV.
    I agree with you completely and we're completely opposite.

I virtually never watch TV. It's a sound-only thing for me which is why I hew to crime-type shows. I don't care particularly about the content but those shows have much more dialog.

I once knit an entire sweater to Hitler and space aliens. Often, I confused them.

12. Likes Tom Servo liked this post