Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Norwegians Aren't Moving to the U.S.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Norwegians Aren't Moving to the U.S.

Why Norwegians Aren't Moving to the U.S.

The country Trump wants immigrants from isn't really interested.

As President Trump has cracked down on illegal immigration and reportedly disparaged the ‘shithole’ countries immigrants leave, there’s at least one place from which he’d like more immigration: Norway. While in the past he’s reported to have said all Haitians “have AIDS,” likened illegal immigrants to vomit, and called for “a complete and total shutdown” of Muslims entering the U.S., The Washington Post reports he mentioned Norway specifically as a place that should be sending people.

But it’s not.

In fiscal year 2016, 1.18 million people became legal permanent residents of the United States, according to data from the Department of Homeland Security. Of these, 362 were born in Norway. That status, which is also known as the “green card,” brings immigrants one step closer to becoming naturalized American citizens. That same year, 753,060 green-card holders became citizens. The number of Norwegians: 93. The number of Norwegians immigrants to the U.S. has steadily declined over the past five decades, according to data from the Migration Policy Institute, which studies global migration trends. In fact, there are fewer Norwegians living in the U.S. than any other major European country.
    "[T]he clown is a joke to everyone except the clown."

~ From Exit Stage Left: the Snagglepuss Chronicles #1

2. Thanks Lanie thanked for this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 9:58 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was a child I took everything in a literal sense.
    “I took you out to dinner to warn you of charm. I warned you expressly and in great details of the Flyte family. Charm is the great English blight. It does not exist outside these damp islands. It spots and kills anything it touches. It kills love; it kills art; I greatly fear, Charles, it has killed you.

4. Likes JB, Adam liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:07 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Norwegians aren't much interested in changing their citizenship for any reason and those that do typically (and traditionally) move to other Nordic countries.

In a certain sense, all the Nordic peoples who needed to leave the region pretty much did so between 1870 and 1920.

We're talking ethnic Norwegians here. "Newcomers" do change from one country to another more.

At one point, I toyed with idea of moving to Australia. I ticked the boxes (then) for education, skill set, and language but failed to meet the you'd-better-have-a-solid-job-offer-and-enough-money-for-a-year test.

I have no idea if they have that now but it's a good idea.

We are no longer an agrarian society with an endless need for no-skill labor to funnel into farms, factories, and servants. The point of immigration is to build wealth for that country as well as escaping various "shit hole" environments. In 1900, Norway was a shit hole for the millions who labored on subsistance farms, in fishing boats, and in the capricious military efforts of various Norwegian leaders.

Those immigrants took no "welfare" because there wasn't any. They didn't expect any money or protection or benefits - they were just tired of the Norwegian government conscripting young men, imposing random taxes, enforcing ridiculous inheritance laws, and otherwise burdening the peasantry (pretty much most of the people) with idiocy.

The immigrants did not themselves want to recreate that model.

Just because France gave us a monument, that's not actually any kind of binding agreement with the entire world.

6. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 9:54 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Norwegians aren't much interested in changing their citizenship for any reason and those that do typically (and traditionally) move to other Nordic countries.

In a certain sense, all the Nordic peoples who needed to leave the region pretty much did so between 1870 and 1920.

We're talking ethnic Norwegians here. "Newcomers" do change from one country to another more.

At one point, I toyed with idea of moving to Australia. I ticked the boxes (then) for education, skill set, and language but failed to meet the you'd-better-have-a-solid-job-offer-and-enough-money-for-a-year test.

I have no idea if they have that now but it's a good idea.

We are no longer an agrarian society with an endless need for no-skill labor to funnel into farms, factories, and servants
    . The point of immigration is to build wealth for that country as well as escaping various "shit hole" environments. In 1900, Norway was a shit hole for the millions who labored on subsistance farms, in fishing boats, and in the capricious military efforts of various Norwegian leaders.

Those immigrants took no "welfare" because there wasn't any. They didn't expect any money or protection or benefits - they were just tired of the Norwegian government conscripting young men, imposing random taxes, enforcing ridiculous inheritance laws, and otherwise burdening the peasantry (pretty much most of the people) with idiocy.

The immigrants did not themselves want to recreate that model.

Just because France gave us a monument, that's not actually any kind of binding agreement with the entire world.
    And without that manual labor availability, the people from these places are nothing more than welfare cases.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

8. Likes Tom Servo liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 2:35 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone really doubt that Haiti, Ecuador and Africa are shithole places? What exactly does a male minor from Ecuador contribute to America except to keep the police occupied?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 6:42 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    When I was a child I took everything in a literal sense.
    Well, there's a point to be made here. Trump wants whatever he defines as "good" immigrants — white, educated, already wealthy so they won't be a burden on society — but those are the very people who have no incentive to leave where they are. As Billy's article notes, Norway ranks tops in political freedom, happiness, prosperity and press freedom. We're not even in the top 10 in any of those metrics. They have lower infant mortality rates and longer life expectancy. Moving to the US would be a huge step down.

Coming from a shithole, on the other hand, we're friggin' paradise, especially for those who are willing to work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

And 70% of those who came to the US eventually went home because they couldn't make it, at least according to that article. That surprises me. I'd think the Nordic work ethic would be successful anywhere, even darkest Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Marva View Post
    Does anyone really doubt that Haiti, Ecuador and Africa are shithole places? What exactly does a male minor from Ecuador contribute to America except to keep the police occupied?
    Haiti, I'll give you that one. Decades of corruption and a devastating earthquake tend to have that effect. But Ecuador? It's not exactly a hell hole. I understand it's one of the more popular places for Americans to retire to because it's cheap to live there. I don't think there are millions of Ecuadorians beating down the doors to get into the US. And those Africans you are so eager to slam? They come here and thrive. They're almost all certainly more educated than you or I, too.
    “Those of us who shout the loudest about Americanism in making character assassinations are all too frequently those who, by our own words and acts, ignore some of the basic principles of Americanism: The right to criticize; The right to hold unpopular beliefs; The right to protest; The right of independent thought.” ~ Margaret Chase Smith

11. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 5:42 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a stupid supposition.

Clearly, our lack of fjords dissuades Norwegians from coming here. Make some fjords somewhere (I suggest the Pacific Northwest, but I'm open to suggestions) and we'll have Norwegians coming out of our ears, probably talking about the majestik møøse in their homeland.

Now more than two weeks, and the Left still remain incapable of saying that Leftist violence is bad.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    And 70% of those who came to the US eventually went home because they couldn't make it, at least according to that article. That surprises me. I'd think the Nordic work ethic would be successful anywhere, even darkest Africa.
    In my experience, they're not very adaptable socially. "They," in this context, meaning recent immigrants from all Nordic countries. In the category of "That's not how we do it in...," they make New Yorkers look like amateurs. The silent, stubborn refusal to do things the way management wants them done and the fairly open sense of superiority to Americans tend to make them unpromotable, regardless of how smart and educated they are.

And those Africans you are so eager to slam? They come here and thrive. They're almost all certainly more educated than you or I, too.
    Depends on where in African they originate, and whether you count all of the North African countries. I'm sure Herself has contempt for Egyptians and Moroccans, too, but probably doesn't think of them as African.

Here on the West Coast, Ethiopians are thick on the ground in the insurance industry. The men, especially, are sharp dressers, arrogant and competitive. They fit in well in the corporate culture of insurance claims and underwriting; I don't encounter them in sales (hard to sell someone anything when you so clearly feel superior to them). The difference between them and the Nordics is they don't diss the boss, refuse to do it the company's way, or get depressed when people don't see the superiority of their way of doing things. Also, being from a country that borders Somalia, they may be less inclined to run home when things don't go their way.

Nigerians seem to have a very education-focused culture. I encounter them in everything from skilled trades (mechanics, technicians) to the professions (engineering, law, and medicine predominantly). The class president and presumptive valedictorian in HRH's freshman International Baccalaureate program was a Nigerian immigrant kid I expect to go far. In Florida, where they have problems getting kids not to come to school in bikini tops or pajamas in some schools, he wore an ironed white dress shirt and knife-creased trousers to school every day, had a 5.0 GPA (A's in IB are worth 5 points instead of 4), did volunteer work and extra-curriculars, had a job, and tutored. His English was better than many of his American classmates'.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).

14. Likes RobJohnson liked this post
    Last Online
    Today @ 2:35 PM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Well, there's a point to be made here. Trump wants whatever he defines as "good" immigrants — white, educated, already wealthy so they won't be a burden on society — but those are the very people who have no incentive to leave where they are.
    What's wrong with wanting productive immigrants? As opposed to the uneducated?
    Coming from a shithole, on the other hand, we're friggin' paradise, especially for those who are willing to work hard.
    Guarumdamteya, the minors from Ecuador aren't working. At least not at legal things. nor are they going to be the A students in their Spanish language classes from which American public schools must graduate them at the expense of American taxpayers
    They're almost all certainly more educated than you or I, too.
    Uh, no. Just no. Period. They cheat in college classes. First hand experience. Nigerians are the worst.

Last Online
    @
    Post Thanks / Like
    Presumably "cheat," in this instance, means "get better grades than HerIgnorantSelf.
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. This offer VALID in 35 34 33 32 31 26 20 17 15 14 13 ALL 50 states.

The new 13 original states to stand up for freedom: CA, CT, IA, MA, DE, MN, NH, NY, RI, VT, ME, MD, NJ (plus DC).